2007 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
New Beetle- Holds up well & Fun to Drive, but get a warranty
By wizbang_fl on 09/18/11 00:19 AM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I've had my Beetle Convertible for over 4.5 years and have been overall happy with the car. It is a compact convertible. Don't expect a big trunk or having tall people in the back seat.

Quality Review
By carlo frazzano on 07/07/10 05:28 AM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 PZEV 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

We bought the car new in 2007 and are generally satisfied. Mechanically the car has been good but build quality needs improvement except for the paint job which is the best I have ever seen. Problems we have had are: 1. Three headlight bulbs replaced. 2. Entire locking mechanism for power convertible top had to be replaced. 3. Coolant temperature switch replaced. 4. Four trunk pistons failed with the fifth now broken. 5. Seat belt retainer bezel broken off and replaced. Fuel mileage is average that is 25 around town - less if air running and about 30 mpg at 65 mph if air not running. Trunk space is inadequate and simple repair under the hood is difficult and expensive.

Adore it
By NewBeetleDriver on 10/19/09 21:41 PM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible Triple White PZEV 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I adore my New Beetle. Even though I'm a male, I get compliments from my other guy friends, especially after they've driven it. Convertible a must! The only problem I've had was the wiring harness shorted. Fortunately, the car is still under warranty, and will be back to running soon!

Nice Ragtop
By Kayemtee on 01/01/09 19:13 PM (PST)

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

My wife chose this car to replace a Sebring convertible. Wanted a clutch again before we got too old. Performance is adequate at best; acceleration reminds me of my old bugs of my youth. Clutch is not as smooth as Japanese cars. Great head and leg room (I'm six-two). Very quiet with top up at high speeds (much less wind noise than the Sebring). Heated seats (with five settings) are great! Gas mileage is poor (24 mpg) for a small car with a clutch with weak acceleration. Nice, solid build quality, pretty looking, but it is a chick car. Oil change is very expensive due to synthetic only and a non-standard filter. Trunk holds a lot but small opening. I like the car but glad we lease.

Luv, luv, luv my dream car
By jik on 08/02/08 13:43 PM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

4 of us carpool 1 way 30 min. Backseat ok for normal size. Gas mileage could be better but luv, luv my dream car. Someone is always commenting about it as I did for many years b4 I bought it. Coworkers are happy I finally bought it because they were probably tired of me talking about it for about 5 yrs. I don't have a garage, unfortunately, but it is great in the snow. Haven't had any problems to date. Love to go riding on beautiful days with the top down.

The Best One So Far....
By Ray Cavanagh on 05/16/08 12:07 PM (PDT)

I owned a 2002 SLK and 2003 BMW Z-4. After spending a fortune for upkeep of these two cars I dumped them both and bought a 2007 Convertible, and a 2008 Triple White coupe. They both run circles around my former car. I have homes in both Sacramento and Palm Springs, a ride of 500 miles. Both cars get me there in style and comfort. So far, I have been happy with both. The comfort level and handling has been outstanding. Love the fact that I am putting regular gas in and not the premium I was so use to. I will never do the luxury car route again when I can get a better car in the New Bug.

Don't Fall Under The Cute Spell!
By harvestmoon on 03/28/08 22:04 PM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Fell in love with the car's look and would be a happy camper if it weren't for all of the little hiccups the car had. I owned this car for 6 months. In those 6 months the top stopped working, the door locks and the cd player malfunctioned, the inside started rattling and squeaking, and the gas gauge broke. This was a 2007 NBC! If you are thinking about buying this car, please keep looking. Maybe a mini? Believe me when I say HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT! If you already own one...good luck!

Not for Cold Weather!!!
By The Husband on 01/03/08 17:53 PM (PST)

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible Triple White 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

The car is beautiful and performs well in the warm weather. It is much better on fuel than my Jeep Wrangler. It really makes my wife happy and I like that. The problem is that the windows have to open (when the handle is pulled) to open the door. If it gets below 20 degrees, the windows won't open. That means that you can't get in, and if you finally do, you can't close the door or the glass will break. Because of the security VW voids the warranty if you install an aftermarket remote starter and they do not offer one.

I love my Beetle
By Kristina on 09/27/07 08:42 AM (PDT)

2007 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible 2.5 2dr Convertible (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I love my car. I previously owned an Explorer, and the two are difficult to compare. The only thing I miss about my Explorer is the storage space, but I was pleasantly surprised by how much can fit in a Beetle. I don't understand why people complain about the gas mileage, I think it's great but then my Explorer did have a V8 engine. Beetles are fun cars to drive, the sound system is great, and it works perfectly as a commuter car.

Bug lover review
By bug lover on 08/01/07 22:24 PM (PDT)

My 2005 was so good, I had to have the Triple white special edition. I wanted white in 2004 when I bought the first one, now I am complete. Great performance and always a compliment from passers-by.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.