2000 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel Consumer Reviews

2000 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

2000 Jetta Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
2000 VW Jetta GL TDI
By GLM

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDi 4dr Sedan

I love the low RPM torque the little diesel puts out. It requires only minimal changes in throttle settings to climb hills. My automatic transmission has been perfect. Timing belt changes are the norm for all current vehicles and this is an somewhat expensive procedure. Not the best build quality and lots of rattles and other noises have developed. Occassional "Check Engine" lights but VW's seem to have these and they usually go away on their own. This car should not be a daily driver for a non-mechanic. Too much trouble on the little things. Expensive to repair. Really bad CD changer in trunk. 600+ miles to the tank.

Favorite Features

The engine, with it's wonderful low RPM torque. Great mileage, even with an automatic transmission (38 town, 45 highway). Starts immediately. Good trunk space.

Suggested Improvements

Better build quality in interior. Better audio components, especially the CD players and speakers. More accurate speedometer and fuel gauge. Better seat adjustment mechanics.

unreliable dream car
By Dan

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDi 4dr Sedan

I bought my TDI used with 20,000 miles on it. It now has 120,000 miles. The car is fun to drive and gets great gas mileage but that's all I can say good about it. I have had trouble with A/C 3 times, pwr windows, hardware falling off, engine immobilizer, light bulbs, radio reception, and ... The worst part is the quality of service. I have tried 3 different dealers. I've had 8 VW's over the years but this is the last one!!

Favorite Features

Mileage, handling

Suggested Improvements

Dealer network, reliability. 2 months and 3 dealers to fix anything.

Jetta TDI
By Georgia

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDi 4dr Sedan

I have owned this TDI for 6 yrs and have been very happy. It has over 300k and is running strong. Every feature still works (heated seats). We get an adverage of 51 mpg. and we just purchased a second one for my husband.

Favorite Features

heated seats, comfortable seats, sunroof and fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

better cup holders. Sun glass holder.

great great mpg
By leo1979

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDi 4dr Sedan

great car it sips diesel great mileage i drive 236 miles a day with only a problem with the a/c sent it to shop 3 times different shops

Favorite Features

milage,exterior design fast car handling

Suggested Improvements

cup holders and plastic delicate very flimsy

I love my tdi
By diesel3276

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDi 4dr Sedan

I love my jetta tdi very reliable and never had any Major problems besides the plastic cover on the bottom of the jetta. The only other thing is the timing belt I haven't had it fixed yet because it is 900.00 and nothing can happen to the car if I don't get a new one. The gas mileage is amazing I probably fill it up every three months in gets about 45-50 mpg. And it the most fun to drive car I have ever had in my life I can't wait till I get the new jetta tdi

I'd still be driving it but...
By Dad

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDi 4dr Sedan

Loved this car. Had 8 miles when I drove off lot, it was "retired" at 100K. Drove it like a high school kid and got 45 mpg. Took good care of it mechanically, synthetic oil changed twice a year, regular dealer maintenance (mostly). Went 90K miles on original timing belt (recommended at 60K). I tried "babying" it to improve mpg but got worse. It liked going to redline on every shift. I'd still be driving it and expected to go another 100K if my daughter had not totaled it (she walked away with bumps and bruises only).

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, 600 miles on a tank, good handling, cruise all day at 80 mph, fun to drive for something that got such good mpg, stayed with the good Michelin tires and got ~25K miles on them.

Suggested Improvements

Back seat not so comfortable.

This is MY car!
By Marcus

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDi 4dr Sedan

I've read some of the reviews here, so I have chosen to write something positive. Dealerships are Robbing you! The Idea of these Tdi's Is to maintain them properly. And knowledge is your best friend. My Tdi is amazing.. Excellent power and fun to drive. Yes there are electrical issues, but that is a far shot from getting 400 to 500 thousand miles out of your engine life. Get a mechanic that is competent and KNOWS the tdi and you are set.. I do ALL of my maintenance myself, How? Research. And these cars are easy to work on. Don't let the vw dealerships take you hard earned money.

Favorite Features

50+ mpg. Style, I cant stop looking at my car with wheels and window tint.. Looks beautiful. Performance. Many upgrades that have increased the longevity of the motor. And suspension performance. Smooth ride and corners like a sports car.

Suggested Improvements

More durable electrical components. Emissions control, is less than satisfactory. The intake gets clogged and you have to clean the sticky mess.

Big trade-off
By TC

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDi 4dr Sedan

We bought this car new in 2001. Since then, it has been in the dealer countless times. It has gone through several MAF sensors (expensive!), some turbo work, and plenty of recalls. The interior seems cheap, although the gauge color scheme is a nice touch. It has surprisingly sporty feel in the corners, especially for an economy car. We have the TDI version, which regularly gets 50-55 mpg. I would buy this car ONLY for the mileage, since it has more than made up for the cost of repairs over time - especially with gas prices these days.

Favorite Features

Mileage, suspension.

Suggested Improvements

Better reliability, TDI could have a bit more power if there is no mileage sacrifice, better designed interior. Cupholders get in the way of shifting!

Last VW That I'll Buy
By cardoe

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GLS TDi 4dr Sedan

This is my third VW. I've had one A3 and two A4 bodies. Both A4's have been TDIs. This one was bought 'certified' but I noticed the cruise control light indicator didn't work and headlight was out. The past two years have been okay. It had only only one engine hiccup - the master flow air had something wrong and the car wouldn't start. The dealer fixed it, no problem. However, I've had recent problems with thedealer (routine maintenance checkup rendered the brakes in operable - twice) and electrical issues with driver door abound! I can't get the alarm to disarm after unlocking door. So when I start car after opening door alarm goes off and then have to get out lock door and unlock it - sometimes I have to do this four times. The passenger door lock does not release, I have to manually open it.

Favorite Features

I love the good fuel economy (but only when on highway and long distances). The around town fuel mileage isn't much better than a Honda.

Suggested Improvements

Thie car needs better interior durability. Several breaks and seams giving out. The mirror control knob, drink holders (all 4), glove box, all broke under normal wear and tear. Also, it needs better electronics. The door locks and alarms are unreliable.

I love this car
By Gene

2000 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel GL TDi 4dr Sedan

I've had this car as my daily driver since I bought it with 15,000 miles. 50,000 miles later I have no regrets. It's the base package with 5-speed, electric nothing (except power locks) and the optional factory CD changer. It's the perfect commuter car averaging 38-44 mpg. I now live in Wisconsin and this past winter, it started every day except for one 8 degree morning where the battery gave up. Even though it only has 90 hp, the 150 ft/lb of torque means it has no problems getting off the line or passing cars at highway speeds.

Favorite Features

The great gas mileage, comfortable interior, responsive brakes and steering. This car looks marvelous. The engine is perfect for highway driving - it actually gets smoother the faster you go.

Suggested Improvements

The front cup holders have broken three times. When the EGR plugged up at 40,000 miles, I had to spend $1,100 to clean it. I'll likely have to do it again at 80,000 miles. Don't lose your keys: It's $150 for the base key and $250 for the remote. The front seats get old after 200 miles.