2008 Volkswagen GLI Consumer Review: Volkswagen Convert

2008 Volkswagen GLI - Consumer Review

Volkswagen Convert
By JDubbs on

2008 Volkswagen GLI 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 04/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I was sketchy about buying a VW, especially after owning a Honda for 8 trouble-free years. Despite my skepticism, I decided to take the plunge and I have been pleasently surprised. There have been no major issues to report after two months and 1700 miles of service. Gas mileage can be between low 20s to low 30s depending on how you drive it. The turbo 4 easily out-accelerates many cars on the road, and the car is assembled with good quality materials. Aside from some minor buzzes from some interior bits, my car has not consumed any oil, does not shake or stall. The car has been reliable so far (knock on wood), but then again I haven't abused it. Take care of it and it'll take care of you.

Favorite Features

Plaid seats, smooth shifting 6-speed manual, great highway mileage, moonroof, zoom of the 2.0 FSI Turbo, 18" Huffeisen rims + platinum grey looks amazing (much nicer than stock Jetta).

Suggested Improvements

Quieter cooling fan (or one that doesn't sound like a plane is taking off), standard iPod adapter (in place of an aux jack), standard wheel locks with 18" Huffeisen rims, bluetooth integration, Headlights that turn in the direction you're turning.