Used 2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cabrio model:

I love my Cabrio!
By lmartin3733

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLS 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The only problem I have had is that the top is splitting at the seam! All the way across the back and to my dismay I discovered that it is glued!! That is crazy! I have it taped right now but I am going to find out if someone can sew up the seam. So far everyone has said that it won't work, but I'm going to try it anyway! I can't afford a new top(that is probably glued too!) That has been my only disappointment. I've not had any big repairs. It's great in the snow! I can get in and out of everywhere and if I could get another one, I'd upgrade to another one. I've got about 160000 miles on it and I hope it lasts for another 3 to 5 years!

Sew all the seams in the top!!!!!!! The seat belt needs to be lowered. It wasn't made for short people. I feel like I'm choking all the time.

Just love it
By YVONNE

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

There are only a few things that I would change. First the power Windows button is too small. The cup holder is set to deep into the consol, which makes it hard to put a med. Size drink in there with the ashtray being directly above it. And sometimes I bump the control for the window wipers when I put in the key into the ignition

The way it handles. I can get 43 miles to the gallon with the top up and the air condtioning off below 70 mph. 34 mpg otherwise

Just improve what I suggested

I've already spent several thousand!
By butta246

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Had the car for 8 years and It's a lot of maintence. Those who haven't had problems are lucky. So far I've had to buy several hoses, my back drink holder broke, new catalytic converter, timing belt, new a.c. compressor, I was actually locked inside my car once (long story but true), and my key got stuck on the outside of the car, I had to call AAA and send it to get it fixed asap. I now need to get my tires aligned because I'm going out of tires like crazy. Also my windows won't roll down, if they do they don't roll back up. It's about $400 a piece. I don't know if I got a lemon, but I have spent several thousand dollars on this car.

Very good on gas. I fill my tank up once every 2 weeks. I love how it's a convertible. It's very easy to drive. I love the leather seats as well as it being heated. They work great! Easy to clean on the inside.

Besides everything above, I wish we had better drink holders, nothing fits on those things! Maybe just a little bigger for a trunk space.

My Cabbie loves my mechanic!
By Lotttie

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Cabbie and she loves my private Mechanic. I will never trust a VW Dealer for the rest of my life and this will surely be the LAST VW I own. My Mechanic keeps her running. One door lock, two door handles, wheel bearings, vacuum pump, muffler, interior trunk release (VW permanently ruined this)and a dead radio. Did I mention she has 134,000 miles and keeps on running? She costs me quite a bit and I am thankful I have a good salary! Not looking forward to trading her in someday as she is a hoot to drive. "Baby Baby" hopefully will make it to 200,000 miles or by some miracle 250,000 miles. Caution: VW Cabrio....lovely to behold, lovely to drive but not lovely to maintain.

Quick pick up and convertible; small turning radius

VW needs to produce better parts

VW Never again
By redman

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio Convertible GLX 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My wife always said she loved her VW. It was cute and the test drive was fun but the honeymoon was short lived. There were many problems with it over the years. Included were electrical issues, power Windows, chronic check engine light, air conditioner, on & on. Every time we got it back from the shop we were lucky if it would go 2 weeks before something else was needed. We had to keep a list so we could remember what to tell the service writer. VW dealer was to expensive for parts & labor and everything had to be done at the dealer. Last VW in our family if I have anything to say about it.

Once in a while we put the top down and went for a ride.

Work on design and reliability. I have had less expensive autos that were far more reliable.