Don't buy this car
By Sharon on
2001 Volkswagen Cabrio GL 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)
I've had to replace the exhaust system, the ignition coil, the transmission, broken glove box, the mass air flow sensor is giving me issues now, and this summer the throttle sensor needed replacement. I think the air-flow and throttle are related problems. Basically my engine light never goes off. I had to replace the transmission-5 speed at 59,000 and VW would not honor the powertrain warranty of 100,000 said it was a wear and tear item. I know there is more that I'm leaving out. The car needs a journal just to keep track of repairs. My mechanics feel sorry for me. I have been stranded or broken down about 8 times with this car. Its a shame because it was my 1st new car. Bad experience..
Favorite Features
When the engine is running right the car is spunky with the 5 speed. Expect to spend about an average of 1000.00 a year in repairs after 50,000 miles. The only reason I am suffering through this pain is because it's paid off but if it continues I have to get rid of this car.
Suggested Improvements
Beware.. the sensors that went out of this car were all after 25,000 warranty.. the throttle cost 500.00 to get fixed and that was only 120.0 for labor. Sensor was 350.00. I think I may need to replace mass airflow now and priced it at Autozone for 250.0 but found on net for 120.0.