Used 1992 Toyota Tercel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Toyota Tercel - Consumer Reviews

1992 Toyota Tercel

View reviews for a specific Tercel model:

Great Car!!!
By timmy3005

1992 Toyota Tercel DX 2dr Coupe

First off i have had this Car for 2 years, and it is great! I got it for 2000$ with 92000 miles, it has 109000 now. Nothing bad that i could ever say about it. It gets 32 MPG. I would like to point out that what "histrclgenius" said in the previous review is not true, we'll about all Tercel's anyway. Mine has never burned oil. Mine gets way better MPG than my Grandmas 2001 Corolla. As far as handling, it handles like a Toyota. lol. But don't let what he said effect your decision, its great little car for getting around town, or trips if your Family is small. I went to New York in it, on about 130$ of gas overall, and that was about 1200 miles both way. So don't be afraid, its a great car!!!

Favorite Features

Its a simple car, but very pleasing on the eyes. The A/C on mine works great, and the new Stereo i put in sounds great with factory speakers.

Suggested Improvements

Better placed Cup-holders, and i wish it was a hatchback, but these are very minor things. lol.

Environmental Hazard on Wheels
By histrclgenius

1992 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

I purchased this used with 106k miles. It was to replace my 1984 corolla. I don't see many improvements in the 8 years. In fact, the 1984 was superior with better suspension and fuel economy. That being said, it is extremely reliable and for the money, is an incredible value. The engine burns more oil than a rebel attack on a Nigerian pipeline - I add one quart every 400 miles. This issue is prevalent according to other owners I spoken with but doesn't seem to affect performance or longevity. So, if you can deal with a fog of blue smoke every morning, riding around with a 5 quart bottle of 10w-40 as your passenger and serial condescending glances, this is the car for you.

Favorite Features

This car has no features: an engine, seat, wheels - that about covers it. Have you ever seen a frozen pizza in the store that advertises, "Now made with real cheese!"? You wonder, "What were they using before?" The answer: the Toyota Tercel; it looks like a car but you can't shake your suspicion that it might actually be made out of cardboard. Oh, there is one 'feature', I suppose. For every 100 miles I drive for work, I get $55 and spend $10 on fuel ($3.50/gallon). To date, I've made over $10,000 - that's a pretty good return on a $1,200 car.

Suggested Improvements

The 4-speed transmission is a real drawback and the mileage would be substantially improved with a 5-speed. However, the lack of engine power might make it difficult to ascend steeper grades at highway speed in overdrive. One more thing - the rear seat appears to have caught fire at some point in the past. However, I don't think this was due to a design defect.

92 tercel 298,000 miles 4 on the floor!
By ripper

1992 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

This is an awesome little fuel saver. it has 298,000 miles on it and runs like a little champ. it has the 4 spd. manual trans. (which I love!!) gets about 37 mpg!! and is very peppy. If there ever was a perfect car...this one is very close.

Built to last
By Toyota Tercel 2dr co

1992 Toyota Tercel 2dr Coupe

I have had this car for almost a week now and have to say that this car, (my third) was by far the best investment choice I made. With $20, I filled up the tank and I'm set for the week. The mpg is by far superb and combined with the manual transmission factor, coming up with gas money is the least of my worries. My T-cel drives surprisingly smooth for a car that has 125,000+ Mi. The interior is no frills but takes me to where I need to go efficiently and with ease. This is my first Toyota and would recommend this car to anyone.

Favorite Features

Gas saver, MPGs

Suggested Improvements

Could be a little more roomier

Old trusty
By Andy K.

1992 Toyota Tercel DX 4dr Sedan

I had this vehicle from January 1998 (bought used at 50,000 miles) and ran it into the ground. In February 2006, I had put the odometer over 200,000 miles. Reliability and longevity are hallmarks of Toyota's products, and the Tercel is no exception. In the 8 years I had it, I had to put about $2,000 in repairs over the course of ownership - an amazingly small amount. If you can find one of these today under 100,000 miles, expect to get 100,000 more. Great steering too. An excellent choice for a teen driver's first car.

Favorite Features

Ease of steering. Reliability.

Suggested Improvements

N/A