2009 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Surprise
By doug on 02/18/09 20:58 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this 4 cyl auto jan 2009. Rides real nice and has power for a 4 banger. But disappointed,whats with the cab wind noise. when going over 55 there is a lot of noise coming from back seat area. So bad I'm in process of buying insulation to make it quieter. I have owned a Nissan and Chevy truck and this Tacoma is the noisiest. The rear door seals with a crosswind sound as though a aircraft is overhead.

All Smiles
By Stasch on 02/17/09 19:11 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have been wanting this vehicle for the longest time. The heavy snowfall in Erie sent my wife and me over the edge and we got the Tacoma. Simply love it. Tons of room in the cab for me (I'm 6'3") and a car seat in the back. This truck handles amazing in the snow and ice. I have yet to get stuck... and I have tried! The safety features Toyota put into this truck are really impressive and allow it to handle great in all conditions. Lots of power, gas mileage is not the best, however, its much better than other trucks out there. All in all, I am very happy with the Tacoma.

None Better!!
By TexExpress on 02/16/09 16:32 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 3rd Toyota 4x4 pickup (also had 86 and 93 4Runners and 01 Sequoia). Still driving a 91 4 cyl, 5 speed 4x4 and traded off a 04 Tacoma for the 09. By far this 09 is the best! All the elements have come together in a great pickup. Ride is exceptional, power and performance outstanding under any conditions and it looks good too! I have driven city, highway, off road, good and bad weather and this pickup has not disappointed! I have the TRD Offroad PKG (can't live without my 4x4) with Towing. Interior controls are easy to reach and read with a quiet ride for a 4x4. Toyota, thanks for continuing the tradition of best in class 4x4!!!

Great Truck, But Not Perfect
By Matt on 02/15/09 06:41 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This being my second Tacoma, I expected Toyota to have made an amazing truck even better. It is better in some aspects: size, comfort, ride, and amenities. But, one thing I have found so far is that this truck has many little annoyances. For example, the brakes are a joke. It feels like I'm driving a car from the seventies with no power brakes. I feel myself being very cautious when stopping at a red light - afraid I might just run over the car in front of me. Can't imagine towing a boat or a trailer with these brakes. Another thing is a mysterious sound coming out of the driver-side seat belt pillar. It sounds like a screw is rolling around in there. Very annoying.

No More Fords For Me
By Randy on 02/10/09 13:54 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After almost buying a 2009 F-150 4.6L, I decided upon the Tacoma. I was leery about the 150's fuel mileage, and checked many Tacoma Forums for their mileage assessments. That being said, I have NO regrets at all. The Tacoma, to me, rides like a car with the benefit of a truck. I owned two Ford Rangers previous to this purchase, and the difference is night and day. Interior is superb and luxurious compared to the Ranger's plain design. Seats are more comfortable but the seats are lower, which is the only dislike I have about this vehicle. I'd much prefer to sit up a bit higher. I feel a bit like driving a Miata with my legs out rather than in a normal sitting position.

Finally, A Terrific New Tacoma!
By Keith on 02/01/09 16:08 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've wanted a Tacoma for years, and finally my wife relented. Got about 800 miles on it so far and those have been fun miles to drive. Gas mileage is not much worse than my Buick Rendezvous in city driving. Acceleration is great, much more than I expected. Quality of construction and detail are exceptionally well done. Shoulda got the step rails though. At my age, they would've come in handy.

My 3rd Tacoma
By Jerry B on 01/27/09 15:34 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I just purchased the SR5 Access cab in the new Timberland Mica (dark green) and really enjoy the smooth ride this truck offers. I have a 4 cyl. 1998 and had a 2004 PreRunner, but I like this truck better than the 6 Cyl. PreRunner; easier to get in and out. I wish the fog lights were standard egpt., but I had the dealer add them, along with the XM radio. The 4 cyl. has plenty of power and it rides like my wife's Highlander Limited. This is one nice little truck; thanks again, Toyota.

Great but with problems
By D C on 01/17/09 14:33 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

First time to drive a Toyota, never owned a truck other than GMC. Drives great and is comfortable. Been back to the dealer twice in two weeks trying to fix the whistling from the windshield, sounds like you're holding a beer bottle out the window. No other problems!

LOVE THE TACO
By EKC on 01/10/09 10:05 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Just racked up 1000 miles on my new Tacoma, this is my first one, and I could not be happier. 2.7 four is a solid motor, took it to the snow and it had plenty of power to scoot up the hills(just keep it in 4th) new traction control is great, very comfortable and smooth ride. Had a 99 Dodge Dakota, now I am sold on the Taco, hands down.

Best in it's class
By 18wheels on 01/01/09 19:47 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is the best compact/midsize pickup in it's class bar none. You get the great toyota reliability and resale value that the other makers can't match. The only disappointments I have are the cheap grade of plastics that the interior is made of (it scratches easy) and the lugging of the engine while accelerating coming out of a low speed turn (about 10 mph). Other than that I love my taco.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Tacoma in VA is:

$128 per month*