Used 2008 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

2008 Toyota Tacoma
By Mark

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I am having an issue with steering wheel vibration between 50 and 70 mph and it started that way off the lot (7 miles). Tires were replaced and alignment completed and still having vibrations. So far everything else working ok and mpg is 20 which is better than my other truck was.

Lots of space in the cabin.

None so far

04 vs 08
By joe

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I owned a 2004 extended cab Prerunner prior to my 2008 4x4. What a big difference! The 2008 turns tighter [better u-turns]. The ride is way better even with the TRD offroad package my 04 did not have. The 04 wandered all over the road, the 08 stays centered better. Every gripe I had about the 04 seemed to be fixed by Toyota in the 08. Don't get me wrong the 04 was a great truck, with absolutly no mechanical issues in 38,000 miles of use. I'm sure this 08 will be the same. I just wish I had opted for the top line stereo. Was told it was only available in sport package. This truck tows my 2200 lb boat effortlessly. For the price, the towing package is a bargain for what you get.

Towing package, composite bed, and excellent ride on and off road.

Hood flexes a lot at car wash. A little better economy. Paint quality could be better.

It's a Truck
By King Zhong

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought the truck in Greenville, SC. Moved 2 kayaks, boating & camping gear, coolers, etc., from our van into the truck at the dealership. My son and I headed off into the NC mountains in search of whitewater. The 4x4 system worked great. The truck had enough room for our 2 week trip. The double doors made the Access cab useful. The cab has great storage areas.

Bed extender. Movable bed tie downs. Composite bed. Auto dimming mirror (opt). 28 mpg hwy! A lot of storage space in the cab.

Front D rings in the bed MP3 input (added to 2009). Auto dimming mirror interior light off switch. Use GKN electronic torque transfer system.

A Little Disappointed
By Ward

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my third Toyota. Although I have been sold on the overall quality of Toyota, I am somewhat disappointed with my present truck. I get vibration in the steering wheel between 55 and 70 MPH. After three trips to the dealership and replacement of two tires,I still have the vibration. Now the metal framework in the seatback on the driver's side is coming out through the fabric. The A/C fan motor would only work on high speed (resistor replacement required). The transmission shifts rough, the door speakers buzz when the bass is turned on step 5 (volume is only at medium). My best gas mileage so far is 20.2 MPG (hwy). Did I mention I only have 5200 miles since purchased new.

I enjoy the firm Sport suspension, the convenient storage compartments, the V-6 power and the overall appearance. The interior colors are well coordinated and instruments easy to read.

Better fuel economy and a smoother shifting transmission.Two additional deck mounted D ring tiedowns forward would by handy.

TRD Sport
By Brian

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I was starting a job, and I knew I would be driving a lot of miles, so I went with the Tacoma. I live in Northern California, and like to go camping, and snowboarding. I went with the TRD Sport 4x4, and it drives like a car. No body roll, or jarring bounces like other trucks. Very smooth ride. I used to drive a Volvo, which is notorious for having the most comfortable seats, and the comfort factor is very similar in the Tacoma. It has tons of interior storage space, and is very well laid out. I also installed a new exhaust system, and it gave me an almost 20% increase in MPG. 17 to around 19 city, and 19 to 23~24 hwy. Overall, incredibly pleased, and would buy again.

Exterior styling. Steering wheel controls. Seat comfort. Toyota maintenance plan (free maintenance and car wash). Easy acceleration, and nice kick when you need it on the highway. Driving 80 feels like 40 or 50. Easy to get a feel for the truck. Great cruise control.

Start with the free flowing exhaust to get better stock MPG. Telescoping steering wheel > needs to go lower; Sometimes awkward driving position.