Used 2008 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 107 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Nice, but strange things
By Lelan Warren

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Great truck, this is my 5 Toyota. But with the 6 speed manual the throttle does strange thing. When you are stopped the RPS are ~ 900 when the truck is rolling and not in gear the RPM go up by them self to ~ 1300? When you are moving in gear and you let off the gas the throttle does not close very fast, it feel like it closes part of the way then in 2 sec it shuts completely. All of this I think hurts the gas mileage 16-17. May be the auto would be better. Yes the cd player need to play MP3s and the 4wd low in trick (but when you learn to push the clutch first it is fine) and the stock tires are low grip. One more thing the plastic bed is very slick. I still like this truck.

Rides very smooth, lots of power. The Limited slip diff is great fun.

MPG, Throttle, MP3s, slick bed

life long ford owner
By jim

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

First Toyota truck, have driven Ford f150s all of my 52 years, the brakes on the Tacoma seem to be some what weak, should be disc on the rear and the transmission feels like it downshifts a little hard. Like the storage space and ground clearance. Like interior of the truck. Plan on keeping this truck a long time.

All of the storage built into truck. Like the power of v6 engine.

Make the truck ride better and brake system needs to be disc on the rear axle.

2008 Toyota Tacoma
By Mark

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I am having an issue with steering wheel vibration between 50 and 70 mph and it started that way off the lot (7 miles). Tires were replaced and alignment completed and still having vibrations. So far everything else working ok and mpg is 20 which is better than my other truck was.

Lots of space in the cabin.

None so far

04 vs 08
By joe

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I owned a 2004 extended cab Prerunner prior to my 2008 4x4. What a big difference! The 2008 turns tighter [better u-turns]. The ride is way better even with the TRD offroad package my 04 did not have. The 04 wandered all over the road, the 08 stays centered better. Every gripe I had about the 04 seemed to be fixed by Toyota in the 08. Don't get me wrong the 04 was a great truck, with absolutly no mechanical issues in 38,000 miles of use. I'm sure this 08 will be the same. I just wish I had opted for the top line stereo. Was told it was only available in sport package. This truck tows my 2200 lb boat effortlessly. For the price, the towing package is a bargain for what you get.

Towing package, composite bed, and excellent ride on and off road.

Hood flexes a lot at car wash. A little better economy. Paint quality could be better.

It's a Truck
By King Zhong

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought the truck in Greenville, SC. Moved 2 kayaks, boating & camping gear, coolers, etc., from our van into the truck at the dealership. My son and I headed off into the NC mountains in search of whitewater. The 4x4 system worked great. The truck had enough room for our 2 week trip. The double doors made the Access cab useful. The cab has great storage areas.

Bed extender. Movable bed tie downs. Composite bed. Auto dimming mirror (opt). 28 mpg hwy! A lot of storage space in the cab.

Front D rings in the bed MP3 input (added to 2009). Auto dimming mirror interior light off switch. Use GKN electronic torque transfer system.