2008 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
It doesn't get better than this
By The Tom on 11/05/09 16:10 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this 1 year old truck used at a dealer. It gets 18 plus mpg. The access cab area doors open. It has way more room than my 98 Tacoma. It is quiet. It commutes well. Composite bed is genius. My 98 Tacoma was bought back by Toyota in 6/07, for a defective rotted frame. I was heartbroken. This truck purchase is quickly easing my pain.

Great truck
By Ricky on 09/07/09 07:02 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this truck for two years now. Great truck. Very comfortable to drive. Good power when pulling boat. Had to have windshield trim replaced. About 20mpg. Very happy with this truck.

Best truck on road
By Kristen Ohler on 08/30/09 22:22 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I owned a 1990 2 wheel drive Toyota extra cab for 18 years. Best vehicle I ever owned. I sold it with over 300,000 miles on it. I wanted a 4 wheel drive new p/u. I love this pick up more than any vehicle I have ever owned or driven. It is a fast and good looking p/u. I love the stereo system/cd player. It has a lot of pick up and contrary to reports I've read my pick up is very quiet. I've had no problems at all in the 14 months I've owned it. Although the running boards look great, they are in the way trying to get into and out of the p/u. I would never own any other kind of mid- sized truck besides the Toyota. To me it is the best truck on the road. Bar none!

Never Buying Toyota Again
By perfect-storm on 08/26/09 10:53 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2008 Tacoma 4x4 intending to keep it a long time as they are supposedly known for reliability. Mechanically, the truck was fine and had no issues. I liked the truck and enjoyed driving it. Fuel mileage was OK with an average of 17 to 18 mixed city and highway driving. On the highway, it would get 20mpg if you stay under 70mph. I recently got rid of the truck as the frame was rusting excessively. I have never driven it on a salted road and I did not park it anywhere near the coast. Toyota's rep was extremely condescending and absolutely refused to do anything. No treatment, no coating, NOTHING! Check toyota frame rust issues and realize the problem still exists in '08.

Oh what a feeling!
By Mr. Brown on 08/17/09 03:42 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I used to have a '93 Toyota pickup, 5 spd manual with the 22RE engine that I loved. Put 24k miles on my '08 so far and no major complaints. The SR5 4.0L V6 has more than ample power. Roomy interior. Gated automatic shift lever does not have locking button so that the lever can shift at anytime if it is accidentally bumped. The downshifts could be smoother and less often, but aren't that big a deal. Wish I'd gotten the stick shift instead, but at the time I wanted to try an automatic after 15 years of my old truck. Love the suicide rear doors on the access cab. But rear seating is cramped and should only be for short trips or kids.

Best Midsize Truck Anywhere. LOVE IT!!!
By Siafu on 07/09/09 17:42 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love my Tacoma. It has been a great vehicle. It has been reliable and has accomplished every goal that I have set for it. A superb automobile.

Tundra's Little Brother
By myname150 on 05/13/09 15:36 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This really is a great truck, I have used it for hunting & fishing and some off-roading. I have the 4.0L V6 PreRunner & which ever one is the 4-door. I absolutely love it. Used to own a Dodge ram 1500, and I'm glad I got a Tacoma, though I wish I had gotten a Tundra. Pros: Good & Powerful 4.0L V6, Somewhat good fuel economy (depends on how you drive, as with every other vehicle), Great off-roader even though it's 4x2 (just no mudding or something of that sort), I got 0-60MPH in about 6.5-7 Seconds. Cons: Side Curtain air bag became standard on 2009 model, iPod connection became standard on 09 model (big deal for me), Somewhat jumpy if you don't have any load.

Love the truck, but I hate the ride!
By Robert Clarke on 05/03/09 20:38 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

First, let me say, I love the seats, the driving position is perfect, not too low for me (I am 5'9"). Brakes are amazing, Brake Assist and Electronic Brake Force Distribution really work. Gas Mileage is good, 20 city and 24 highway. No squeaks, tight truck. The Stock stereo is OK. Now the bad news, the ride is punishing! It is jarring even over the small bumps! My wife loves it, I am giving it to her and buying something else!

Dissapointed Owner
By 08Tacoma(ex owner) on 03/08/09 23:41 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck Feb 28,2008. I traded out of it with 17,000 mi Jan 1 2009. The front passenger floor board area was "creaking" whenever I drive over an uneven surface. They re-welded a joint that somehow came apart with only 13,000mi. My roof leaked because of a defect on the factory- installed roof rack (took them 3 times to fix). They replaced the outside seal around the windshield because it was making a "whistling noise" at 75 MPH. Truck wouldn't start sometimes and they couldn't figure out why. I just gave up on it and let somebody else worry about what else could go wrong with it. GOOD BYE TOYOTA FOREVER!! It's the end of an era.

Tough truck
By Benjamin CedeƱo on 02/25/09 15:17 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I own a Double Cab PreRunner long bed truck. I like the SR5 option package. Good mpg around 18.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.