Prius - luxury comparable to BMW
By Steve Boyd on
2005 Toyota Prius 4dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
40k miles thus far. No mechanical problems whatsoever. 44 to 47 MPG in the winter, and 49 to 51 in the summer. I have package 6. I think this car compares more to a BMW rather than the cheaper economy cars that we hear the media make comparisons to when speaking of the overall cost of the vehicle. This is the most luxurious car I've owned but I'm still waiting for a plug-in PHEV. Technology is there for a Prius that gets 100 to 200 mpg, but Toyota has spent a ton of money on marketing campaign for this no plug-in hybrid. GMC claims it will release it's own plug-in with mileage in this range in 2010. When that happens, I'll drop my Prius like a ton of bricks. Until then, GO PRIUS!
Favorite Features
Gas prices going up? Huh, I didn't notice. Real time gas mileage, Bluetooth cell phone, navigation system, voice activation of all controls.
Suggested Improvements
Needs a plug-in option that will provide 200 miles per gallon for those who drive more than 40 miles per day. Infinite mileage per gallon for those who travel less than 40 miles/day or those who drive 40 miles/day one way (80 miles round trip) to work and park at a plug-in converted parking space.