Used 2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Matrix - Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon

View reviews for a specific Matrix model:

Matrix Review
By payultr

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Comfortable to drive and well laid out on the interior. Very spacious when the back seat is folded down. MPG is excellent, I average 40 mpg on long trips!!

Favorite Features

Driver's seat is able to lift up so short people can have a better line of vision. Passenger seat folds forward and lays completly flat. Of course I love the extras: 6 cd stereo, sun roof, alloy whels, ABS brakes.

Suggested Improvements

Glove compartment is too small to hold the book w/the owners manual. The little compartments are cheap plastic and fall apart when you try to use them.

2006 Matrix 5 speed
By sprice

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Unbelievable fuel economy and interior space. Fun to drive, handles well. Not much acceleration at turnpike speeds (which is one reason why it's so stingy with gas), but pretty peppy below 60 mph.

Favorite Features

Interior space, economy.

Poor Man's MINI Cooper
By JAMINOFF

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Matrix is like my son'e MINI cooper for $10000 less. Great car, quality, reliability, fun and roomy. Only changes I recommend would be remove coin slot under handbrake, very hard to get to. Left side instruments have no lighting at night.

Favorite Features

Everything, size outside, inside room. Very comfortable cloth seats. Economical car. Bargain for the price. Car is very peppy. I out accelerate Porsches.

Suggested Improvements

Coin slot under handbrake is hard to get at. Lighting on left side of dashboard is dark at night. Cargo area needs cloth. Metal and plastic items are noisy when they roll around. Black color exterior shows every scratch and dirt. Never will buy black again.

SUV/CUV traits in a fun compact!
By Marvin

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon XR 4dr Wagon AWD (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Only complaints are nit-picks. Car rides smooth and quiet, MPG is good for AWD, but fuel tank small (~300 mi range), seats are supremely comfy, lots of int storage, adjustable driver seat height, flexible cargo area, and great build quality. When compared to a sedan of this class, it feels more spacious, looks cooler, is more practical, and has AWD. Looks sportier than it is. Steering and suspension are great, but not sporty. Engine power is just OK (more power, lower MPG, so I'm OK w/ this). It has the industry's worst tonneau cover - borderline useless. 6-CD in-dash player won't play MP3 CDs and doesn't have aux-in.

Favorite Features

Side air bags, ABS, TPMS, engine immobilizer, auto headlights, sunroof, cruise - a nice mix of econo-posh and safety. AWD+cargo area is similar a compact CUV (CRV, Rav, Escape), but with better MPG.

Suggested Improvements

IP brightness could be better matched to stereo/climate control brightness. Cannot disable A/C when in defrost mode. Add options: reserve power for windows, heated seats, MP3 CD or aux-in, factory remote start, factory roof rack, better cargo/tonneau cover.

Great car for the money
By Jockeyfox

2006 Toyota Matrix Wagon 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I traded in a large truck for the Matrix. I travel 100 miles a day and wanted a fuel efficient vehicle. This car filled the bill. If I set my cruise on 65, it can get 35-36 mpg, average 33. I thought I would miss the truck's cargo capacity, but so far, it has been fantastic. I can't believe how much I can get in it. The only problem I have had is with the paint. The car is white and there are about 8 chips on the front and hood already with only 20,000 miles. Other than the paint, I really love this car, especially when gas is $3.00 a gallon.

Favorite Features

Cargo capacity, gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Better paint job.