Used 1992 Toyota Land Cruiser Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Toyota Land-cruiser - Consumer Reviews

1992 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV

Base 4.0L 6-cyl. 4x4 4-speed Automatic - (4 reviews )

I've had it 18 years with no negatives
By koiman

1992 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

This is the standard in the 4wd go anywhere class against which all other pretenders should be measured. The last year that it was 100% Toyota Land Cruiser the FJ80 still turns heads. (When I drove it into a Porsche dealership in 1992 they came out to check it out--they had not hit the east coast yet. I have towed with it and used it as a school bus. It is like a member of the family and thinking of selling it pains me. Regular maintenance, adjust power windows, timing belt--that's it for cost of maintaining.

Favorite Features

Solid high ride; feel safe and very comfortable; sound system (after market) fills the space with precision. Just the best vehicle I have ever owned.

Incredible reliability
By Brian

1992 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

Incredible reliability as it was the last Land Cruiser mfg by Land Cruiser completely. Everything is well put together, tight, and looks it after many miles. I have had it for all of the 188,000 miles and only replaced a power steering motor, and window motors. Tires do not wear (100k/tire+ w/no side wear) and steers true and solid.

Favorite Features

If traction is possible, it will go there! Sound system fantastic, comfortable seats (except 3rd row), solid and reliable. Sits high and outstanding in inclement or worse conditions-No problems or fears.

Suggested Improvements

Engine is 4.0L and gets 11-12mpg but will get you there. Engine size and weight increased the next year w/no appreciable help in mpg or power.

Awesome Truck
By Great SUV!!!

1992 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

Never had my own truck before. What an awesome first purchase. Loves the dirt and snow! This truck will go anywhere. Hauls my kids, their friends and our dogs. Being the ** owner I didn't know what the truck had been through but it's never had any problems. I'm at 217,000 miles and still going strong. Can't go wrong with this truck. It's awesome! Not too crazy about the new design style. Wish they could've stayed with this design and put all the new bells and whistle accessories. Great truck. Smooth ride and no worries.

Favorite Features

Lots of room. Sits high for lots of visibility. Very strong runner. Mine with the 6 actually has more power than the newer 8s.

Suggested Improvements

None except minor things. Maybe more cup holders, dvd. Small potatoes.

the best
By cte

1992 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I spent my formative years in Papua New Guinea, where, if you wanted to get someplace, you drove a Cruiser. Not much has changed. I visit Hoduras, Ivory Coast and the "middle east" where the prominant vehicle is a Toyota truck. The 4 wheel drive on a Cruiser can't be compared to much else for the money (don't insult me by even mentioning a "Jeep"). My 1992 has been a phenomenal performer off-road (or on- road when it's got a foot of snow on it). You buy this thing for its renowned history, dependipility and off- road performance (or to look like you know what you doing when you buy an SUV).

Favorite Features

engine & 4-wheel-drive

Suggested Improvements

stop calling it a "wagon"