Used 2009 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV

View reviews for a specific Highlander Hybrid model:

Better than expected!
By Bill

2009 Toyota Highlander Hybrid SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought a new fully loaded Limited Hybrid. Hoped to get the EPA est. gas mpg and with about 2200 miles I'm getting way better than that. Best trips are fairly low speed, 40 and under which usually yield 33 to 36 mpg! Highway trips top out around 29 mpg. I live far out suburban, little city driving, and I keep up with traffic. Very smooth and comfortable, very QUIET. Mastered the nav. It's okay, not great. A tall step in, had to get running boards for my wife. Goofy hump for rear wiper and small rear windows restrict rear vision. All else better than expected. Intend to keep it 10 years like the Ford Expedition it replaced. Lost a little space, use half the gas, no regrets.

Favorite Features

Comfortable, smooth riding, very quiet. Nice tall wagon. Handsomely styled interior. Keyless feature is a stitch on a car that when you press START the only things that happens is the ready light goes on. Then you take off like rolling down a hill without the engine on. I'll never tire of that.

Suggested Improvements

Vehicle sits too high off the ground, should be lowered 2" for ease of entry. Tough to learn navigation, even then not one of the better ones. Rear vision restricted by small rear side windows and hump for rear wiper.

Poor Navigation System
By Scott

We love the soft leather seats and smooth ride. The Navigation System is difficult to use and not very intuitive. The Nav System in my 2006 Acura MDX is far superior...easier to use....has much greater utility. Wish I had saved the $2K and bought a $200 hand-held GPS instead. We always have to mapquest destinations because of the Highlander's frustrating nav system. Other than that, nice vehicle, although getting the advertised MPG is a challenge, so far, unachievable....best we've gotten is around 23MPG combined.....you really need to drive conservatively to get close.

Favorite Features

Smooth leather seats, lots of legroom in the front and back seats.

Suggested Improvements

Scrap the Nav System -- use what Acura uses which is far superior. Make the vehicle a bit longer, adding more storage behind the 3rd row seat. Many of the smaller SUVs should consider a slightly longer vehicle. There is hardly any storage space behind the 3rd row -- can barely stash golf clubs.

Yukon to Highlander
By Tom

Great room for a big guy. Seats very comfortable. All the bells and whistles, maybe a little too much. Having a hard time with the quiet start and the sound of all the hybrid stuff.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage.

Up and coming
By music man

Although I have only about 400 miles I am extremely pleased with my purchase so far. Traded a Lexus and this vehicle is far more comfortable and roomy.

Favorite Features

My favorite features has to be the navigation system and the rear window easy open latch.

Suggested Improvements

I would like to see memory for both power seats, and a hydraulic lift for the hood.

Best Car I've Owned
By Jerry

I have had my Highlander for 11 months and have little over 12,000 miles. The car is great to drive it handles better then any if my previous SUVs (Suburban, 4 Runner, 2002 Highlander Limited). The mileage in town (all city driving) is between 23.5 to 25. There is a sweet spot for the EV at 35-40 MPH.

Favorite Features

The car is loaded with options but one I really like is the back up camera. I don't think I will own another car without it. I also enjoy the safety of knowing I am surrounded by air bags.

Suggested Improvements

I have found the front windshield pillars to create a blind spot at intersections and pulling into driveways at night.