Used 2005 Toyota ECHO Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota ECHO Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific ECHO model:

Best owned low cost, long range commuter
By Gregory Estes

2005 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new to commute 100 miles a day round trip, both freeway and intercity (half and half). Have tracked mileage since new, averages 37-41 depending on road conditions, speed and my patience with traffic. Normally drive 60-65 mph highway. Only serviced at 60k and now have 97k miles. I do my own oil and filter change every 3k miles. I love this little car, hope to get 300k plus out of it. Would definitely recommend this car to anyone! (note, it's stick shift).

Gas mileage, get up and go, center dash console, ease to clean, ease to do oil and filter maintenance, non existent repairs, overall cost savings, plus initial cost new.

For what I paid for it new $14k, and what I got, it wouldn't be fair to ask for much more. There is always room for improvement, but it will cost more in the long run.

This car has been to hell and back!
By Mike

2005 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is the greatest car ever! My wife bought this car before we met. I have an eclipse (2000) and love sports cars and racing. This car has impressive performance (for the type of car that it is), the greatest stock stereo I have ever heard, and the strongest and most reliable motor (similar to the Hondas that have been long haulers). We have driven across country (Georgia to California)! I have added a k&n air filter, and use premium fuel, and synthetic oil change (starting at 35000 miles.) At over 73000 miles, the only problem we have had is some minor electrical recently and just did my first battery change. The best buy ever!

Sound system, mpg, head room, and performance.

More leg room.

Great little car!
By Lisa

2005 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first car and I was excited to be a car owner! It was surprisingly good in winter weather and I was fearless to go out in snow, ice, etc. I never had any problems and just had to do all the regular maintenance to keep it going. Unfortunately, I may have been too confident and drove my little car on the highway when there was a lot of black ice. I spun out several times and hit the guard rail, which in the end totaled the car. I am surprised it didn't flip over since the car is quite tall (something I got used to and I still bang my head getting into other cars!). Regardless, this a very good first car!

Lots of little cubby holes to put things in. I got to really like the console being in the middle of the dashboard. Very roomy despite being a small car.

Maybe improve the car's ability to take a crash. My accident wasn't very serious but the car crumpled like a tin can in the front where I hit head on. I was pretty bruised up on my legs and on my chest and stomach from the seatbelt.

A Fun Reliable car
By Cindy

2005 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

Love this car! I have had it for 4 years and love the handling, ease of parking, reliability and mileage. Would definitely buy it again. We commute 50+ miles a day and can't give it up!

Mileage, reliability, handling, parking ease, practicality, head room great! Can easily fit two car seats in back.

Interior comfort - not a luxury car!

MY ECHO
By Gregory Estes

2005 Toyota ECHO Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl 5M)

I presently have 79,373 miles on my echo. It has 4 doors, manual transmission, and I average just over 40 mpg if I drive 60mph or less. I drive 85 miles round trip per day 4-5 days per week for work, (both highway and city). I change my own oil and filter every 3000 miles, and have only had it in the shop once at the dealer for it's 60,000 mile check up. I love this car! Not a bit of trouble, very dependable. They don't make Echos anymore, but Toyota's replacement is the Yaris, (same engine, different body style). If I needed another reliable and economic car I would buy another Echo, if I could find one, or a new Yaris. Toyota really has a winner here!!

MPG big factor, dash display (center console, don't have to look through the steering wheel. I also enjoy the get up and go (for only a 1.5 liter engine). The front wheel drive is great in snow, and on turns etc. And last its durability and reliability.

None, I'm happy the way it is! Even the comfortability really isn't bad, and I'm a large framed man at 255 lbs.