2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:
Highly dissapointed- will never buy Toyota again
By energy_1st on 04/19/14 13:16 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

2 months after warranty was over (oh yeah!), check engine light went on (P2727) with less than 50k miles. Ended up changing both the torque converter and solenoids as well as the sensor to get rid of the light... 10 miles later, the light went off again... They're telling me now that the computer has issues which has to be changed. I don't know whom to trust and what to do next. Will trade in my car for another car which won't be a Toyota for sure.... Yep, Toyota's legendary reliability is only good until you're covered under warranty... My advice to you if you decide buy a Toyota, add an extended warranty...

I hate what you do for me Toyota.
By mcgovern1981 on 03/19/14 15:43 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Sort and sweet. 3 recalls unsure if my car was ever safe to drive. An interior that constantly squeaks. Finally the last straw at 68k I'm told I need a new transmission because I'm getting a clicking noise whenever I take my foot of the gas they say its a broken tooth on the pinion drive gear..... There's your legendary reliability. I wonder how much pro reviewers get paid to praise these cars.

2009 Toyota Corolla S
By 09corolla on 12/08/13 08:58 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second toyota corolla and i have alway loved toyota and could not see myself buying anything else. Well this car has changed that opinion and my next car will not be a toyota. This 2009 has had the whole A/C replaces, cam shaft gear, starter and the car still has problems starting. My corolla only had 56,000 miles. Total cost of repairs under warranty is over $9,000…. beware of the 2009 year.

My 2nd 2009 Corolla
By dback2004 on 04/20/13 18:52 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This is my second 2009 Corolla - first was an LE which was totaled in an accident. When I replaced it I bought another 2009, but this time in the S trim. I love it! It gets excellent gas milage, about 38 highway and is a sporty drive while small enough to easily maneuver the parking ramp at work. Plenty of creature comforts including aux jack, keyless entry, CD changer. It rides smooth and has a moderate amount of road noise.

My 2nd Corolla
By mred72 on 12/30/12 18:09 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan XLE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I still own my very first Toyota which is a 2002 Corolla LE which has 180,000 as of writing this review. Knowing it's getting old and burning oil, I figured it was time to buy a back up. I came across a used XLE with only 28,000 miles on it. Since it has the 16" wheels, the highway ride is comparable to that of a Camry. You'd quickly be reminded you are not in a Camry once you need to pass another vehicle and that's when reality sets in. I would love to know how ANY of you get 35MPG or more as my car never got better than 32.5 and it is driven mostly highway. Toyota alleges 35, but I say no way as the average highway speed is 75MPH.

A proven workhorse - Love It
By coppscycle on 09/15/12 13:18 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Travel average 2 weeks per month Purchased used in 2010 with 14,000 miles - still gets 38 miles to the gallon highway. Removed head rests back seat folds down provides ample room for cargo. Regular maintenance except decided to have transmission flushed at 60,000 miles. Now at 68,000 the car has proven to be reliable and easy to maintain. Would buy again in a heartbeat. Oh Previously drove a Honda Civic (1983) which has 180,000 miles and still gets 34 mpg hwy. When purchasing a car expect it to last until newer models have significantly better gass mileage AND comfort.

Deeply disappointing
By corolla09 on 08/21/12 19:16 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

My first tow back to the dealer was at 26 km. Sadly things went downhill from there. When I complained about all the rattles and excessive number of engine repairs a Toyota official told me "you cannot compared the Corolla to the Dodge Neon -- they're not in the same class". Three years later I've come to realize they weren't joking. As an example of the corner-cutting in this car notice that Toyota chose tape rather than clamps to hold the windscreen washer hoses under the bonnet. Now just out of warranty, and at just 19,000 km, I've been told the piston rings need to be replaced.

33,333 miles yesterday
By daved58 on 08/08/12 17:56 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan S 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased the car in April of 2008. Have had only one issue of a rattle in the interior and was fixed in August of 08. I am 6' 4' tall and I love this car. And maybe the paint is somewhat thin since I have a few rock chips on the hood; as I have had with all other cars that I have owned. But I have to say that I really do love this car. No issues so far. The steering can get you into trouble if you are not an advanced driver. It is very easy to over steer in a critical situation. Had a lane encroachment on the freeway and it was a very exciting event. Be sure to keep both hands on the wheel....and please no texting while driving over 35mph. But I really do love this car. Would buy again.

Is Toyota losing their touch?
By johnhlanding on 07/18/12 18:10 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

This is my second toyota and has come to be very disappointing. The build quality, cheap parts, and overall value of the car is terrible. My biggest issue is oil consumption. The car uses at least 1 quart of oil a week. The dealer says nothing is wrong. Other reviews online point out the same issue. My life now consists of weekly visits to an instant oil change place to get it topped off. Thank God it is free! Otherwise I would go bankrupt just buying oil to refill it with. The steering is awful at high speeds. I fear that Toyota is becoming the Japanese version of GM. I guess I will try my luck with Honda or maybe Ford if I am forced to find another vehicle.

great car except for paint job
By warren65 on 10/29/11 11:17 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan LE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Hi I have a corolla le 2009. Its a great car no problems mechanically. The paint job on the front hood has about 12 black spots on it they are very tiny but noticeable. Toyota claims they are rocks or stones from the road and no warranty coverage. Does anyone else have this problem? Still a reliable car.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Corolla Sedan in VA is:

$102 per month*