Used 1997 Toyota Corolla CE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Safety outweighs fun!
By DrPhil321

1997 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

It's 2010 and I got this car over a year ago, has 70,000 miles. No problems! Looks old, and I'm 6'2" so it's hard to fit in it. The A/C also poor. This is a point A to point B car.

No problems!

N/A

AWESOME!
By Fatina

1997 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for 11 years and the only major work done is timing belt, water pump and starter. I have a little over 218,000 miles and it just keeps on ticking.

Reliable despite very basic maintenance.
By Amit M.

1997 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

I bought the car new - 5 sp. manual transmission. The car now has over 130K miles on it. Never performed any of the manufacturer-recommended scheduled maintenance. Change oil every 7000 miles (need to add a quart every 2000 miles or so). Haven't yet changed the timing belt. Original battery died after 10.5 years. Replaced front brakes and spark plugs at 100K miles (neither was probably necessary). I've been commuting 120 miles each day for over an year now - get 37-40 mpg on highway during winter (Connecticut), 42-45 mpg on highway during summer! I do keep my speed in check. Used to get lower mpg when they used to add MTBE instead of ethanol in the fuel.

MPG. Much better reliability than my 2000 Sienna.

Trunk light, intermittent wiper.

The Best Car Ever
By Sophia

1997 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

I, unfortunately, was forced to sell my car 6 months ago because of a move. It was the best car ever! My mom purchased it new in 1997 and she passed it on to me with 30,000 miles in 2000. I drove it on long trips, long commutes, and stop and go traffic for 8 years and it NEVER gave me any trouble. The only thing I changed on it is the battery after 9 years of use and the tires because of normal wear and tear. I did regular maintenance on it to make sure it stayed happy and that's all I needed to do. I miss that car so much. If you get a chance to get one, buy it, you will not be disappointed!

I wish it was little faster or had a little more pick up.

Luv it more every day
By jhub

1997 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

Only owned car for 3 months. The more I drive it the more I love it. Have had to replace a couple of engine mounts to take care of vibrations. Has 105000 miles so we have alot of life. The clear coat is coming off some parts but it's a '97. Gas mileage is consistantly 31 mpg (auto trans). That is great with gas at $4.10 per gallon. My kids find the back seat very comfortable. Only complaint is it needs usable cup holders front and back. Over all great little car. But it is little. Trunk is large for such a small car. We installed window tint on back windows which really helps keep heat down inside car. A/C works great, very cold. Handles very well in all conditions. Love it.

MPG, exterior styling, smooth driver, good power for 1.6 lit, good overall inexpensive vehicle. Bright head lights at night.

Usable cupholders front and back. Would like tilt steering wheel. Interior carpet seems very cheap?