1997 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:
Safety outweighs fun!
By DrPhil321 on 11/16/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

It's 2010 and I got this car over a year ago, has 70,000 miles. No problems! Looks old, and I'm 6'2" so it's hard to fit in it. The A/C also poor. This is a point A to point B car.

AWESOME!
By Fatina on 01/06/10 15:40 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for 11 years and the only major work done is timing belt, water pump and starter. I have a little over 218,000 miles and it just keeps on ticking.

Reliable despite very basic maintenance.
By Amit M. on 10/03/08 11:54 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

I bought the car new - 5 sp. manual transmission. The car now has over 130K miles on it. Never performed any of the manufacturer-recommended scheduled maintenance. Change oil every 7000 miles (need to add a quart every 2000 miles or so). Haven't yet changed the timing belt. Original battery died after 10.5 years. Replaced front brakes and spark plugs at 100K miles (neither was probably necessary). I've been commuting 120 miles each day for over an year now - get 37-40 mpg on highway during winter (Connecticut), 42-45 mpg on highway during summer! I do keep my speed in check. Used to get lower mpg when they used to add MTBE instead of ethanol in the fuel.

The Best Car Ever
By Sophia on 06/06/08 09:06 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

I, unfortunately, was forced to sell my car 6 months ago because of a move. It was the best car ever! My mom purchased it new in 1997 and she passed it on to me with 30,000 miles in 2000. I drove it on long trips, long commutes, and stop and go traffic for 8 years and it NEVER gave me any trouble. The only thing I changed on it is the battery after 9 years of use and the tires because of normal wear and tear. I did regular maintenance on it to make sure it stayed happy and that's all I needed to do. I miss that car so much. If you get a chance to get one, buy it, you will not be disappointed!

Luv it more every day
By jhub on 06/05/08 09:55 AM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

Only owned car for 3 months. The more I drive it the more I love it. Have had to replace a couple of engine mounts to take care of vibrations. Has 105000 miles so we have alot of life. The clear coat is coming off some parts but it's a '97. Gas mileage is consistantly 31 mpg (auto trans). That is great with gas at $4.10 per gallon. My kids find the back seat very comfortable. Only complaint is it needs usable cup holders front and back. Over all great little car. But it is little. Trunk is large for such a small car. We installed window tint on back windows which really helps keep heat down inside car. A/C works great, very cold. Handles very well in all conditions. Love it.

97 Corolla CE Great
By flatoyce on 04/07/07 13:20 PM (PDT)

1997 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

Starts and runs great and smooth every time. General maintenance only: oil changes, transmission fluid, anti freeze, new battery, etc. Would definitely buy again but think this car will run forever.

'97 CE is the best!!!
By dsouth on 03/29/06 14:15 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

Low maintanance costs, cheap to feed, reliable, easy to work on and repair.

none
By johnhart44 on 02/10/05 14:48 PM (PST)

1997 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

nice car overall - fun to drive. A good value for the money. Would buy another one.

Affordable Dependability
By Jim40 on 01/31/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

We've had this 1997 Corolla since December 1999. It's a well built, dependable car. Good styling, cranks every time, well-designed inside and out. It's easy to manuever in traffic and it's very easy to park. We have no plans to sell it; we'll keep it for many years to come. We traded an '87 Ford Taurus for this car. The Taurus gave us nothing but trouble. It was always in the shop for mechanical repairs. We've have never had to put the Corolla in the shop. Keep up the good work, Toyota!!

Great Car
By Mixie on 01/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Toyota Corolla CE 4dr Sedan

I have never had even one problem with this car. It is the most practical, durable car, and I wish I didn't have to part with it ever. It is the number one worry-free car. As long as its taken care of properly, it will far outlast any other car.