Used 1996 Toyota Corolla DX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

One great little car.
By jadejaz

1996 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Sedan

I bought my '96 Corolla in May of 2012 from a Porsche dealership. It was used with 106k miles on it, and I probably overpaid for it at $4k. I haven't put more than 5k miles on it since my purchase, but it has been a great car to me! I never worry about it not starting and it has never had any major problems - all I've really put into it is routine maintenance. For a car that is nearing twenty years old, it's got surprisingly good gas mileage. I get 30 hw and 25 city, give or take. My car is also an automatic, which would explain the mpg being a little lower than that of the standard manual models. Being a college student, it's cheap to maintain and perfect for me.

I love that it's so tiny! This car can fit anywhere. The A/C blow ice cold and there is a surprising amount of room in the backseat and trunk for a car this size. Everything is well-positioned and simple - it's not super fancy and every button has a purpose to me. This car is basic. It gives you what you need to get from point A to point B. That's what I wanted and it's what I got.

I would love cruise control - although that's probably just an issue with my particular car. It's also pretty low to the ground, so if you're a tall person some find it cramped. I'm 5'8" and fit in it comfortably, but my 5'7" mother hates it. It doesn't speed up very fast either... but since I'm no speeder, this is fine for me. If you want something glamorous, this is not the car for you. It doesn't stand out and has been accused of being a "granny" car, although I personally think it's super cute!

BUY IT!!!
By lukebecker

1996 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Sedan

This is the second one I owned and I must say I love them. 100% reliable. Always starts. Almost 200K on it and still purrrs like a kitten. Nice speed out of them too. I would tell anyone that if the price is right go for it. I had the one before and it lasted 250K until I let someone use it. Clutch was gone when they came back. Didn't think it was worth the fix.

everything....

A little uncomfortable for me (5'11") but all in all good.

Practical
By livingliberty

1996 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with about 100,000 miles and put another 20,000 on myself until I wrecked it this year. This was a car that I could always count on to start. Mechanically, it had very few problems. The struts went out, the interior door handles broke, the radio never worked and the fasteners for the bumper guard came apart so if you drove at high speeds the bumper guard would sometimes come loose. Overall I would reccomend these cars as a good A to B vehicle, but in the future I will never own one again if I can afford something nicer. It was never a joy to drive, handled poorly, no pick-up on acceleration and starts vibrating pretty bad around 70 mph.

Higher quality parts where plastic was used, better stereo, better acceleration

Best Car Ever
By Splendor

1996 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Sedan

I sold my 96 Toyota a week ago & already miss that car. It was very dependable and I even drove it to AZ and back. In the 11 years I had it I only had two problems. One was electrical wiring & the other was my gas tank was punctured. I prob. hit something but once these repairs were made it was back to its dependable self. I wish I still had this car and when I placed an ad selling it I had numerous calls & sold it within 4 hours for 200 less than asking price. If you need a reliable car this is it! Don't hesitate to buy. I have a big family now & it was no longer practical but I sure wish I could've kept it.

Reliability, gas mileage, small enough to park anywhere and easy to maneuver and handle.

Leather, cd player

Best car i ever owned!
By Jose B

1996 Toyota Corolla DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 36,000 miles on it in 1999.It now has 182,000 and still in great shape. Never changed the timing chain or transmission oil. Car was always reliable and never left me stranded anywhere. By far the best car i ever owned.

Very peppie. Front wheel drive. Always started in the coldest weather.

None.