Used 1991 Toyota Corolla Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Toyota Corolla - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Corolla model:

Best $500 I've spent....
By cbp

1991 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan

Bought this car a little over a year ago for $500 and a starter. Had been sitting in my co workers driveway for quite some time so I got a great deal on it. This is the bare bones Toyota. Not even a cassette player only radio tuner in it. Popped that starter in and it runs like a champ. I change the oil on a frequent basis because I use it as delivery vehicle and to go out of town with on trips to the mountains and such. Couldn't have asked for a better car if I had tried. Gas mileage is great, ride is comfortable, turns on a dime, doesn't stop on a dime but then again I need to change brake pads. I suggest this car to anyone needing a cheap efficient car to get from a to b in.

Great gas mileage especially in town.

Toyota's weren't designed for tall people. Being 6'2" my drivers seat is almost touching the backseat but I am still comfortable.

Great Choice for First Car
By AJV

1991 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan

Bought this as my first car over a year ago. Got me to/from school every day, to/from lunch as well, wherever I needed to go after. A little gutless on big hills but not bad. Only one problem, just this summer it would stall out or the engine would crank on startup every once in a while but I think all it needs is a tuneup. All in all, it is a great value, I love my car, even when it acts up, which really isn't all that often. Oh, and the gas door fell off. Don't know if that's common...currently being held on with duct tape because the screws for the hinge are stripped and stuck. No big problem.

Manual transmission, I prefer it, feel like I'm more engaged in driving. Great visibility to the rear and sides, not much of a blind spot at all. Gets up and goes almost every time, good acceleration, perky little car.

None, really. The few problems I have are, I believe, as a direct result of being 18 yrs old with 175k miles.

Best Car
By Corolla Roller

1991 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan

Purchased this car with 250K miles on it in 2004. It now (2009) has 284K. This car has an engine that never dies. I have had to replace a couple of things but nothing major. It shows its age when accelerating, maintaining speeds over 65, and on moderately steep inclines, but it gets me where I need to go without worry. I get between 26-30mpg city.

All models should have had scan on radio.

I used to own a '91 Corolla 4dr sedan
By PatriciaLani

1991 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan

I bought this car back in November '94 and have had good luck with this car; except towards the end, it started smoking from the exhaust pipe and had to trade it in for a used '98 Saturn. I had the Corolla for almost seven years, but it sure got around well. I'd service it when it needed it, but towards the end, I noticed that I had put in more than $2000 worth of car repairs into it and because it was due to wear because of age. It was great on gas for a car that was automatic transmission; though, I wished it was manual, but it wasn't my choice because it was the only Toyota on the used car lot that had automatic transmission.

The digital clock! The first car of my other few that actually had a clock!

None.

Role Model
By Donald

1991 Toyota Corolla 4dr Sedan

These cars were made to be awesome in almost every aspect, with exceptions to the interior. Handling is smooth and responsive and pickup for a 110hp with 1587cc displacement engine definitely blows my mind. I love to drive it, this thing is still a kid inside. The only thing I can find that I don't enjoy necessarily is the soft suspension. I remember it being semi-stiff when we got it, but the years have softened it. Still, I can remember taking a few turns and bumping the bottom onto the road then and now, not speeding or anything. I think Toyota wanted it to be a secret sports car. It doesn't look anything like one, so maybe they've accomplished in that area.

A/C still using orig. compressor, original parts still intact, no rust on paint at all, 195000 miles and still going like 17 years ago. No plan on leaving this car, even if the insurance goes up when I get a 350Z.

Even though the engine is spunky, a little more power could have been thought about. Even if it sacrificed about 1-2 miles per gallon less, 20- 30hp extra would have made this car the best bang for the buck (still was though). Sluggish starts. Trans. only 3spd, so more wear. Had to rebuild my tranny.