1999 - Original Owner and still going and going and going....
By clongstreet on
1999 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan
This is the second Camry I have had in 19 years. The first was a 1992 LE 4 cylinder (remember those?). Anyway, I liked it so much for work (outside sales) that I bought a new one in 1999. I have driven it ever since. It now has 140,700 miles on it with NO signs of giving up. I am in outside sales and believe me, I drive it. Despite it now has it's slight dings and scratches the paint is still beautiful after all these years. It runs smoooooooth as can be thanks in part to using 5-30 Mobile 1 since day one...not a drop burns, not drip anywhere. Mechanically, this thing has run like a top for 12 years and counting. No major repairs.
Favorite Features
Reliability. Starter finally went after 11 years. I'm fine with that. I have yet to lose a power window (does help if you clean the edges now and again folks), AC has never gone down and I live in the South so believe me, I use it. Finish: This one was made in Japan. Shame they still don't make them there. Beautiful paint. Metallic Oak I think they called it. Automatic: No issues Quiet: I'm in outside sales, this matters. Cruise: Predictable and reliable. Just like the whole car. Interior layout: Sensible. Everything is where you would expect it to be.
Suggested Improvements
For this year, the only gripe one could have made was the lack of power but, for one in the car 99% of the time, it's fine. It's good enough. Road noise could have been tweaked even a bit more but, I have driven the 2011 and it is as quiet as one could hope for. I can't really complain. I paid 17 plust tax, title, and tag and never saw that dealer again. I have more than gotten my money's worth. And get this, someone recently offered me 4,700 for it and I turned it down!!! I can't find anything like this for the money and I don't want a new payment. No thanks, I'll just keep driving this until it implodes. Until then, thanks Toyota for making a quality product! Again.
By clongstreet
on 01/10/14 06:32 AM (PST)

Update. Same owner, 3 years hence. I now have 199,576 miles on it. I've put another timing belt and water pump as needed after the last 100,000 miles. Some plugs and wires, engine flush, fixed drip on oil pump seal, replaced the radiator (finally after 14.5 years!), and a few other preventative measures (3rd battery was necessary after 6 years, original lasted 8.5). Engine, still as smooth as ever, 30mpg on trips, averaging 25 around town. Bought this car new when my daughter was 3. She is now about to turn 18. She gets it. My guess, if she doesn't twist it, will last for another 4-5 years. At that point, it will be 18-19 years old. NO ONE I know typically owns a car that long. It has been flawless. I owned a 92 before this one. If we keep this one that long, it will have been 27 years of nearly flawless transportation and over 350,000 miles between two camrys. Honda can't beat this track record. No one can. Guess what my next car will be??? Close! I'm going to a Camry Hybrid next time. I like 40+mpg idea on the highway. I know Honda is rated slightly higher but, their AC and Transmissions suck.