Used 1999 Toyota Camry Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

1999 Toyota Camry Sedan

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Solid car
By Tiemen

1999 Toyota Camry Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

Having owned nothing but Japanese, I had high expectations from this Camry. It definitely hasn't let me down in mechanical quality, but I can tell the quality of some interior features and window moldings, weather strips, and other plastic/rubber parts are inferior to Honda and Mazda. But it is definitely more comfortable and quiet, so it's a trade-off. If yours failed on you, it's human error. Don't take care of it and like any car, it will perish. (it just takes longer to kill it than a Detroit product)

Favorite Features

Quiet ride, smooth tranny, great mpg, reliability, sleek appearance.

Suggested Improvements

Better window frames and weather strips, sturdier consoles, and more stylish interior design. Hybrid version.

not a driver's car
By chris

1999 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

If you like driving, as I do, this is not a car for you. No throttle response, no steering feel, terrible (soft) suspension. Makes me ask "Am I actually driving." I take corners at 40-50 mph, and still no thrill. This is a boring car. Only consider it if you absolutely hate driving or do not like cars at all. If you like driving, or think a car should be responsive and a little sporty, go for the Accord.

Suggested Improvements

BETTER HANDLING...SPORTIER SUSPENSION, the new "SE" model is not an improvement

Great car for the money.
By Dillon

1999 Toyota Camry Sedan LE V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used in October '04. 92000 miles on it. I paid $8250 for it and I think I got ripped off. I guess overall it's been a decent car, but don't listen to all those reviews about Toyota's reliability. Every car has its faults. Two days after I bought the car the check engine light came on; I took it to three mechanics, none could figure out the problem. After 10000 miles it's still on and off. I've had the starter go bad, the motor knocks like crazy at times, and I have various other electrical problems. The front struts make popping sounds, but they're factory and I've yet to change them. However I believe these faults are due to a previous owner's ignorance.

Favorite Features

Sufficient power from the V6, and decent fuel economy. Factory stereo sounds better than the Bose radio in my stepmom's '05 Mazda 6. Timeless body design. Great safety ratings; this car saved the life of a buddy of mine. Good overall car.

Suggested Improvements

Tighter handling and firmer suspension. Better interior design. For me, there's a huge blind spot in the rear corners. Headlights need to be brighter. Seats are uncomfortable for long trips. DO NOT make the mistake of buying a car with an Audiovox SecuriKey+ alarm, they have problems.

Camry
By Not the same from J

1999 Toyota Camry Sedan CE 4dr Sedan

Here is what I've replaced during my 6 years of ownership: 1.) Circuit board regulating the airflow and AC 2.) Entire Driver window motor assembly (from a Toyota Dealership). 3.) Rust on side of door 4.) Power door locks does not function from time to time. I've owned over 12+ cars in my lifespan, and this is the 1st car that I've found myself facing with these items that should have lasted a lot longer.

Favorite Features

Fairly smooth ride, nice suspension. Stick is geared nicely and shifts beautifully

Suggested Improvements

Fairly gutless due to being a V4, unless I shift downwards.

MR Reliability
By Eddie O.

1999 Toyota Camry Sedan LE 4dr Sedan

I have 108,000 miles on my camry and it still runs like new. I bought it with 25000 miles on it in 2001. I would not give up my camry for any other car on the road. It looks and rides great! If you are in the market for a fuel efficient and reliable car, GET A CAMRY!

Favorite Features

My favorite features of the car include its quiet engine, smoothe ride, comfortable interior and its ridiculous stereo system.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I would improve about my car is it's lack of power while in certain situations, like when the AC is on. So a more powerful 4 cyl. engine would be good.