1999 Toyota Camry CE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

1999 Camry Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Sort Reviews by

1999 Camry CE 286K
By smprescott2010

1999 Toyota Camry CE 4dr Sedan

I have a 1999 4cyl CE that now has 286K and runs very well. Recently replaced the timing belt and gaskets as it started leaking pretty bad. I recently drove it from Wisconsin to California and back with no problems. Toyota did a great job with this vehicle!

80K mi with a Camry 5 sp 2.2L
By Ted

1999 Toyota Camry CE 4dr Sedan

I just traded the Camry I've had for 8 years on a Lexus and cried when I said goodbye to it. I averaged 29mpg in 50/50 city/hwy driving and hit 33mpg on flat hwy. Incredibly reliable. The body style w/ spoiler and alloys still looks fresh. Interior was roomy and well designed. There's a lot to this major-model Camry has been cost-reduced out of the newer ones. If you're on a budget and need stylish, reliable, spacious transportation, find a well-maintained 98-02 Camry.

Favorite Features

Reliability, ease of do-it-yourself maintenance, roominess, exterior and interior styling, MPG...

Suggested Improvements

None.

WOW
By smprescott2010

1999 Toyota Camry CE 4dr Sedan

This is my first used car in over 13 years. The economy killed me and didn't have a choice in getting a used car. I found a 1999 with 266,000 miles on it (2,300) and pampered its entire life. The car looks really nice and has had everything replaced and maintained. It cruises PERFECTLY like a brand new car at 80mph. All power options and AC work perfectly. I was worried I would be driving a beater... NOT THE CASE! Nice car!

Suggested Improvements

Nothing to complain about.

dependability
By richard

1999 Toyota Camry CE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car brand new. It's has been very good on gas, reliability, good performance overall. It's a 5 speed so I do get good mileage.

Best used car I've ever owned.
By srichey

1999 Toyota Camry CE 4dr Sedan

Great commuter car. I owned the car for four years and really took it through the paces and it never gave me any problems at all. It's not a Porsche but it's dependable and the mileage is decent.

Favorite Features

Great visibility from all angles and never had a problem with the blind spot.

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of any. I bought it as a point A to point B car and it performed admirably.

Great A to B car
By srichey

1999 Toyota Camry CE 4dr Sedan

I owned it for 4 years and did not have one problem with it. Best car I have ever owned. Excellent used car, very reliable and handles quite well on the freeway. The gas mileage isn't bad either if you drive correctly.

Favorite Features

Good visibility, I never accidentally cut off anybody the four years I owned the car.

A great car
By eigendude

1999 Toyota Camry CE 4dr Sedan

Bought it used a few years ago. Besides the normal maintenance and a few burnt lightbulbs, the car is very reliable. Nice, smooth ride, good acceleration (manual transmission), good gas mileage. Starting to have a few rust spots (live in Montreal, Canada), but nothing bad. Overall, its a great car.

Favorite Features

Well laid out instrument panel. Cheap to service and plenty of non-OEM parts available everywhere.

Fred Brooks
By Toyota Camery

1999 Toyota Camry CE 4dr Sedan

Purchased new, enjoy the car. Only reason I am trading is it is getting old and I want a new Camry. There is nothing wrong with the car. Have it serviced at dealership on regular basis. Interior is like new as well as outside. Kept in garage when not in use.

Favorite Features

Ability to maneuver in traffic. Is a pretty car. Have never had any service problem.

Theres a reason Toyota is the top dog
By olstein103

1999 Toyota Camry CE 4dr Sedan

I received the car is about 78,000 miles on it. The only problem that has bothered me is the struts/shocks. The electronics are flawless, the day to day driving is excellent, and the fuel economy is amazing. The previous owner(my new stepbrother) is known for destroying his cars, and when I got it, I was so suprised at how well it took his beating. He is the person who would never maintain a vehicle ever. So my opinion of this car is excellent and would recommend it to anyone.

Favorite Features

gas mileage, roomy, extremely reliable, good in cold weather, and all around good car.

Suggested Improvements

need suspension work, little more pick-up so a slighty stronger engine, better rear cupholders, not much else. this is a real quality car.

Solid car
By Tiemen

1999 Toyota Camry CE 4dr Sedan

Having owned nothing but Japanese, I had high expectations from this Camry. It definitely hasn't let me down in mechanical quality, but I can tell the quality of some interior features and window moldings, weather strips, and other plastic/rubber parts are inferior to Honda and Mazda. But it is definitely more comfortable and quiet, so it's a trade-off. If yours failed on you, it's human error. Don't take care of it and like any car, it will perish. (it just takes longer to kill it than a Detroit product)

Favorite Features

Quiet ride, smooth tranny, great mpg, reliability, sleek appearance.

Suggested Improvements

Better window frames and weather strips, sturdier consoles, and more stylish interior design. Hybrid version.