Used 1996 Toyota Camry Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Toyota Camry - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Camry model:

Awesome

1996 Toyota Camry XLE 4dr Sedan

Literally a tank
By William Adams

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

My wife and I had purchased a 1992 Camry 2.2 several years ago and in a 2 year period myself and my mechanic friend had gone over the car end to end and replaced everything that needed routine maintenance. Then came some minor bodywork and a Maaco paintjob. That car was a tank it was reliable and at 180,000 miles was ready for 300,000 more-until some old lady hit it while it was parked on the street and it was totaled by the insurance company and we got less for it than I had put in it. Soooooooo...my truck of 12 years finally died and I saw a 1996 Camry Le 2.2 4 cylinder ,with oil leak, for sale. The guy lowered the price to $600 before I even got to see it. We drove it and bought it on the spot. I told him I wasn't afraid of an oil leak or high mileage-295,000-because it was a Camry and would do fine after we went over this one.So all the rubber on the engine,rear main seal,crank seals,water pump and timing belt(since it was apart anyway) and a front right axel. It is clean,runs great and has no leaks at all. My mechanic said I should get another 200,000 or more out of it. It is my daily driver and work vehicle,but after going over it I would probably take it anywhere.If it is good as our 92 we had,I'm set-and this one is green so it is a tank....

Long lasting
By Shelby

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for about 11 years now and it is still going strong! It is at 302,000 miles on it and has had no major problems. It hasn't needed anything besides routine maintainance and a new battery. I will be sad when my Camry's time comes. Very reliable car.

Wish I could buy a new one
By veconomos

1996 Toyota Camry LE 4dr Sedan

Last week my bf was using my Camry on interstate 81 and was rear ended by some nut who came upon him doing about 90 mph. The Camry then spun off the road and hit a tree. It was totally demolished from every angle but he was able to get out and walk away with only some bruises. The back end was hit so hard that the gas tank should have exploded (had a full tank of gas) but it never did. That was the best car ever. I had it four years, inherited it from my Mom who had it five years. I had to replace the radiator and the exhaust and that was it. The car never failed me, was great to drive, and got at LEAST 40 mpg. I am looking for another one, don't care if it is old. It was better than new.

The one problem with the car, and I have seen this in other Toyotas, was that the clear coat flaked off on parts of the car. But it never rusted underneath.

• SUV