2012 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
Two Year Review
By i4collin on 03/24/14 18:54 PM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Premium PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Going on year two of ownership of a 2012 Impreza Premium Sedan. Here is the good; It's a very fun to drive car, and will put a smile on your face every time you drive it on a back road. The AWD is a lifesaver in the snow and works wonderfully. The interior controls are laid out nicely, and very easy to use. Now for the not so good; The car lacks overall refinement. In the cold the engine is noisy, and there is always a delay when selecting gear with the CVT. The car is very smooth at speed, and the ride is comfortable. The eco-tires it comes with lack grip and love to slide around. After only 20,000 miles the interior is FULL of rattles, and the sound system is awful.

Oil Burner, MPG not as advertised
By movingon1 on 03/14/14 20:45 PM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport Premium PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the hatchback with a manual because I was looking for versatility with good mileage. Functionality wise, I'm happy. I'm 6'2" and the car is comfortable on long road trips and you can fit a surprising amount of stuff in the back, especially with the seats down. Also, the car is amazing in the snow. BUT- as others mentioned, the car has started burning oil at 30,000 miles! Almost 2 quarts between oil changes. Add to that the well known not-as-advertised MPG, and I am thinking about trading it in. I have logged every single tank on Fuelly. In the winter, 22 city, 27 highway. In the summer, 25 city 30 highway. It's rare to do better than 30 on the highway, but I drive 70-75.

Oil consumption problem
By gailbk on 03/05/14 06:17 AM (PST)

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Limited 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I am experiencing a significant problem with my Subaru Impreza 2012 with excessive use of oil and the oil light going on. I understand from the service people that this is caused by "blowback" past the cylinders, causing excessive oil use, inconvenience to owners, and an inflated cost of ownership (synthetic oil is $8/qt.) Subaru insists this is normal but when I traded in my Lexus at 257,000 miles with never an additional drop of oil between oil changes, I certainly didn't expect to trade it in for an oil guzzler like the Subaru Impreza. Subaru will do nothing and insists this is normal - - at least for them! Any ideas how to pressure Subaru? It was fixed for the 2014 model.

Great AWD, some annoying weaknesses
By hughk4 on 03/05/14 06:16 AM (PST)

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Bought this because I needed AWD, but didn't want a truck or an SUV. When conditions make AWD necessary, I love this car. Other times I like it a lot, but there are several things that keep me from loving it. See my suggested improvements for these comments. If you need AWD, this car has very few competitors in its price range. Of the 4 cars I own, when weather is bad, everyone wants to drive the Impreza.

Oil burner
By fredjohnson on 03/01/14 21:50 PM (PST)

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport Premium PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

My 2012 Impreza is beginning to really bother me. 25k miles on it and it burns 2 qts of oil every 3k miles now. Yes, the CVT is noisy as can be, but I knew that when I bought it. In winter, my highway gas mileage does drop to 27 mpg which is almost 10 mpg lower than EPA sticker. Overall, I'm dissatisfied with the car, especially after finding out Subaru won't do much to help with the oil consumption other than to say its "normal". And to that I say BS. Never had a Toyota or Honda---I've owned 8 new ones--- burn oil.

More Daewoo than Subaru
By stillyourking on 02/25/14 14:15 PM (PST)

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Premium 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

As an owner of a '12 Subaru Impreza 2.0 Premium, I wouldn't recommend the purchase of this car. The quality is far less than that of the '08 - '11 Impreza. The engine is loud, and has intense vibration, weatherproofing is shoddy, road noise interferes with conversation, interior materials rattle, and scratch easily. The seat fabric has folded in some parts, and became unwoven in others, the driver seat squeaks when your body shifts (only 178 lbs). Seats are uncomfortable on long trips (my Pontiac Vibe had more comfortable and supportive seats). Gets a combined 28 MPG (rated as 27/36 MPG).

Exactly what you're expecting
By iliketoshift on 01/12/14 17:35 PM (PST)

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Premium PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I think that most people know why they are buying a subaru. I'm not going to recount the obvious pluses and minuses, but after 20 months of ownership, I'll mention the small things that stick out.

Oil Consumption
By csl12 on 01/03/14 14:20 PM (PST)

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Premium PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought the 2012 Impreza after our 2004 was totaled. We also own a Forester and have owned 3 others. We have had check engine, oil pressure, and low oil warnings 7 times in two years. In particular, we've had low oil 5 times within the past 7 months and only 7,000 miles. The car is definitely burning oil. Dealer agrees it's burning oil and is not leaking. It doesn't leak "enough" and is considered to be "normal" by the service manager. As a 25 year Subie owner, I am EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED in the vehicle and Subaru's inaction. I doubt we'll be another Subie- but I do LOVE my 2010 Forester (before the engine change!!!)

Great AWD Hatchback!
By macj123 on 12/30/13 12:05 PM (PST)

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport Premium 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great all-wheel drive hatchback! I would recommend it to anyone who has to drive in the snow, this is built for snow, cold and ice. I have a manual and my winter driving conditions are very harsh so my MPG is not that great. Still better than SUV's so I'm not complaining. Engine has started beautifully in many days below 0, even in the -20's! Great cargo space, roof rails roof rails are nice.

2012 Impreza 2.0i Premium CVT
By hardcheck2704 on 08/09/13 02:55 AM (PDT)

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Premium PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I have had the vehicle for 4 months and love the gas mileage. It is way above the rated 27 city / 36 highway. i am averaging 34.8 city and 45.4 highway. The back seat is roomier than the 2008 outback we have. Really enjoy the iPod hook-up, no need for CD's anymore, I have all music, Pod cast and books at my fingertips. The only really negative I could find for the short time I have had the vehicle, is the truck space.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Subaru Impreza in WA is:

$153 per month*