Used 2012 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Loved it at First, Then........
By Joe Botelho

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport Premium PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I was looking for small, all wheel drive car, specifically a hatchback, that would accommodate my 6 foot frame comfortably and the Impreza Sport Premium fit the bill nicely. The car is fun to drive, has as much pep as I'm ever going to need on the windy roads of New England and was very serviceable in the rain and snow. I never had an issue with the car, but did have to replace the standard issue tires at only 21,000 miles. Also at that time the front driver seat seemed to wear more than I would consider normal and I probably should have paid attention to that. The car now has 43,000 miles on it and one day the horn just stopped working. Also, there is a massive hole in the front drivers seat with protruding metal and plastic parts which have already ruined two aftermarket seat covers. I never owned a vehicle where the front seat was essentially useless after 40,000 miles?? Recently, I was passing the dealership where I bought the vehicle, and stopped in to see if there was a recall regarding the front seat. Oddly, all the service rep kept saying was "Do you have an appointment?" He repeated that 5 times, when I finally suggested that I am a human being, not a robot. After the whole disinterested event where they pretty much told me "tough luck and seeya later" I decided to take my car to another dealership to get the horn fixed. And I thought it couldn't get any worse. I called the other dealership, got an "appointment" a few days later for them to check out the horn. While he was writing up the service order he explained that they also offer a "complimentary" car wash, which I declined as I wash my own vehicle. While I was at the service desk, I also mentioned that I felt my front seat was falling apart prematurely and if they would check it out......, and was totally ignored. To add insult to injury, after they checked out my car they said it needed a new "steering roll connector" to the tune of $415.00!! For a horn! I declined the their generous offer and they still charged me $55.00 to check it out. I should have taken them up on the "complimentary" car wash. And just when you think it couldn't get any worse? As I am walking out to my car, I noticed a huge scrape on the corner of the front bumper. I went back in tell them about it and they suggested It was already there and that I was lying!!! I had taken a picture of the car earlier in the day to document my seat issues so I pulled out my camera phone and showed them a picture I had taken hours earlier with no scrape. They still suggested I was making it up!! I have never been more humiliated in my life! I loved this car at first but between its quality and support of its service outlets I will move on to another brand.....soon.

My experience with my 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport
By Loren Rochester

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport Premium PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

I was very excited to get this car... good gas mileage and All-Wheel drive seemed like a perfect fit for Wisconsin. I liked everything about the car except three things: 1) The transmission went out at 66,000 miles, 6000 miles out of warranty. The dealership told me it would cost $8500 to replace it with a new one, or they could put a used one in for $4500. I called Subaru Corporate and after three days of investigation, they said it was up to the service manager. I went to the dealership and raised hell. Virtually all of my miles were interstate travel with very little elevation change, no stop and start traffic. After some phone calls, the service manager got the price down to $1500 for a new transmission. I was still mad, but didn't feel I had much choice; $1500 was better than $8500, and I still had to make payments on the vehicle. 2) I was surprised one day when the oil light came on early in my ownership. The car didn't have that many miles on it. The car was, in fact, low on oil. From that point forward, I went through a quart of Mobile 1 0W20 about every 3000 miles. I checked it every time I filled it up. I am over 60, and have never had a car that went through a quart of oil between oil changes. Recommended oil changes were 7000 miles with synthetic oil. The dealership wanted $85 for an oil change. I bought Subaru filters from the dealership for $5-$6, and bought Mobile 1 0W20 from Walmart for about $26 for a 5 quart jug, and changed the oil myself religiously every 7000 miles. I just traded the car in, three years old, and it was going through a quart of oil every 2000 miles. I had this problem when the transmission went out, and talked to the service manager about it. He did not act the least bit surprised. BTW, if you buy quarts of Mobile 1 synthetic, they are about $8 a quart, so this is not paltry change being spent on oil, I obviously bought 5 quart jugs and had them on hand all of the time. 3) For about the last 9-12 months, the car did not start very well. I usually had to crank it for a few seconds, quit, then crank it some more with the gas pedal pressed down, then it would start. The oil thing and the starting thing I have found are common complaints. I traded the Impreza in on a Ford Focus. I put about 33,000 miles on a car per year, and the Impreza had 99,920 miles on it. This is the first time in decades that I got rid of a car with fewer than 170,000-180,000 miles on it. I didn't trust it. I'm not sure that the Focus will be any better, but I got a 4 yr.-100,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty on it. I'm sure it won't be as good in the snow, but I can work around that. IMHO opinion, Subaru should have replaced the transmission gratis. Using the 0W20 oil is not a good idea in my opinion. They are doing it to improve gas mileage, but I think it is blowing past the pistons. The Focus uses 5W20. As far as starting difficulties goes, I don't have a clue what the problem is. If they would have taken care of the transmission and they had proven that they had solved the oil thing, I would have considered another Subaru. This was my first, and there seems to be a lot of loyal Subaru owners out there, but I will probably not consider another.

Big Disappointment - Oil Burning and Other Problems
By jbv1105

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Premium PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car, with only 26,000 miles on it, has not lived up to my expectations for build quality and reliability. The car burned oil at an alarming rate. One dealer claimed there was nothing wrong, then a second finally agreed there was an issue after the car failed an oil consumption test. They replaced the entire engine under warranty. Also I had an ignition problem, which had to be addressed due to the car not starting. Additionally, the car's battery was defective and had to be replaced. The Bluetooth on this vehicle is terrible, won't connect and has had to be replaced. There are unsettling rattles in the dashboard and excessive wind and road noise. I plan to get rid of this car.

All Wheel Drive, versatile hatchback design.

Reliability, build quality, engines that burn oil, poor sound insulation, rattles, rubbery and finicky manual transmission, Bluetooth, manual needs a 6th gear, excessive rust, sluggish performance especially in 3rd-5th gear.

Good company, fun car, but maybe not for 75-80 MPH driving or long commutes
By cbtx01

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Premium PZEV 4dr Sedan AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

Bought my Impreza in Sept of 2012. has been a good car, great on rain slick texas roads. CVT gave out at 80k miles, Subaru assisted with most of cost to replace. I recommend the company, but maybe not impreza CVT, which is not the same CVT as Legacy and Forrester according to what I have read.

Handling, downhill cvt speed governing, bluetooth stereo connection ability, roof rack option, yokohama tires - first time I have used that brand and they lasted well.

better quality, longer lasting CVT; backup camera; lubricant warmer to reduce warm up idle time; seats that promote good posture instead of enforcing bad. Impreza is not as bad as some, but could use improvement. Most car seats force my head forward at an awkward angle and give me headaches.

good things and frustrating things
By Bill Kowalewski-Barrera

2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport Limited PZEV 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.0L 4cyl CVT)

This is our fourth Subaru. We do like the CVT transmission, quiet enough, and the car is peppy. The gas mileage is just what is published. What bothers me? I don't like the leather seats, too cold in the winter, too stiff. With cloth, you don't need seat warmers. In the 25k miles we've owned it, the fog, tail, and headlight bulbs have burned out, and both front half-shafts and the brakes were replaced. The dash has developed an annoying rattle. And twice a year, we need to take it back to the dealer to get the tpms switched between the summer and snow tires. The dealer has to reprogram it. Still a reasonable car, but not quite up to our Subaru expectations.

AWD and real-world handling (for a non-performance car). Also, the sunroof, although pretty small. We will only have hatchbacks, so we like that too. The Subaru stereo with bluetooth is good, working well with our phones. Dealer is very friendly.

Needs better quality control. Better electrical system. Bring back led tail lights. Get better batteries. Not up to past Subaru standards. Bring the car back to 2011 Impreza standards.