Used 1999 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

Outback Sport Wagon (2.2L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual)

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
You never know until you drive one.
By Ellery on 07/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

I have had the car since it was new and am still loving it since the day I got it. It is a fun little car to drive and it is true when they say that once your drive an AWD car, you'll never go back to 2WD. The engine is very torquey for a 4 cylinder and I love tossing it in a corner. I have driven it on the beaten path a few times and it has never let me down. Actually, the car looks better when it is dirty rather than clean! After 4 years of ownership, the only trouble areas have been the rear bearings (surprise,surprise!!) and my throw out bearing on my clutch giving out during a flood 2 years ago.

Good Car but could be better
By pun14 on 06/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

This is a good car. Aging makes it a good initial value. Decent looking car. Performance is very good. AWD is a wonderful feature. Handles nimbly, great in the sand and on dirt roads when pushed. Cabin design is simple, functional, not foofy. Not spacious. Get the bigger wagon if you have a family. However Fitting 4 can be tough for the 2 people in the back. Spritey, not fast. Versatile, not oversized. Good blend of low level performance, utility, and fuel economy, value. There are more cars that do more and have more, but you'll have to spend a lot more!

not up to par in the long run
By markiz on 02/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

When it was new I got a kick out of it - fun little car. But now, at 70K miles, things that should not break are starting to go. Both rear wheel bearings had to be replaced, this for a car that has never been off-road!! The regulator in one electric window went belly-up, rear wiper arm broke for no reason. Conclusion: a good 3-4 year car if you keep the miles dow.

Fun Car
By Seattle sub on 01/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

Great car. I'm 5'2" and it's perfect. Great visibility all around. I feel safe in all conditions. Sticks to the road like glue. I've had this car from new, and I love it

Fun little Toy
By Ranger Russ on 06/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

This little car turns me into a 10 year old kid again, just having fun! It's not an offroading car, but it'll get you down any ROAD you try to drive down, including dirt & mud. I have yet to get mine stuck, except when I bottomed out in deep snow while crossing over the top of a steep hill. And it took 15 seconds to get unstuck. Rain, snow, mud, creeks, etc.. this thing can't be stopped. The older you get, the better your toys get...

Fun jack-of-all-trades car
By Chris in Denver on 05/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

This is a great car. It is fun to drive in all types of weather conditions. Has a little sport to it, is practical and very useful. Has decent power (I like the raspy sound of the boxer engine), good suspension (nice and firm), a modest amount of comfort from a compact.

Outback Sport 99
By korver on 04/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

A fun car for a college student. Drives well in poor weather and good for country driving.

A great Vermont car
By DLandL on 04/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

This car is great in the snow/dirt roads and mud season of Vermont life. Idiot proof AWD, and put 4 good snow tires on it and you are practically unstoppable in winter. Transmission could kick down better, though, and the A/C is not that powerful. Sounds a little cheap too, when you close the doors with the windows down - guess that's a consequence of the frameless doors.