1998 Porsche Boxster - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.5L 6-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (10 reviews )
Water Leaks
By CrPlater on 08/31/09 11:35 AM (PDT)

1998 Porsche Boxster 2dr Convertible

Lots of fun to drive but, water leaks into the area underneath the seats. Electronic control box is there and expensive to replace. Once it gets wet its shot. There are drain tubes that have to be kept clean - and even then, a heaving rain will still leak in.

Porsche - There Is No Substitute
By Schnellman on 11/08/08 19:16 PM (PST)

1998 Porsche Boxster 2dr Convertible

While living in Germany I owned a 924, then a 944 and then a 911 Carrera. I left them in Germany because I felt it wouldn't be fun to drive a Porsche in the States. I was wrong. I bought a Boxster as a second car and love every minute of driving it. Porsche quality and Porsche ownership can not be beat. The twisty roads around my house have become my playground. I've owned Z's, an RX-7, a Lancia and a Quattro. But I'll say it again Porsche - there is no substitute.

One of the funnest cars at any price
By Lordblood on 10/06/08 21:33 PM (PDT)

1998 Porsche Boxster 2dr Convertible

I got this car 2 months ago, and so far it's been absolutely amazing. I upgraded from Nissan Altima's and Toyota Camry's, so I know reliability. The only thing that went wrong with my Boxster is that the left window regulator is broken, but that happened before I bought it. It is a bit pricey to run, you do have pay well out of your pocket for small repairs. But it is one of the funnest cars you can buy, no matter what price level you look at. It's mid engined, so it is perfectly balanced and provides for fun in every corner. It's a bit underpowered, mine produces around 215 HP because of a better exhaust, but 0-60 in around 6.7 seconds is pretty brisk. Worth buying!

All-Around Performer
By Tim Stoops on 01/11/06 22:52 PM (PST)

1998 Porsche Boxster 2dr Convertible

I bought my 1998 Porsche Boxster used with 45,000 miles and sold it recently with nearly 110,000. It was a wonderful car. So good, that we bought another newer one. The Boxster provides excellent performance and sophisticated engineering that can be easily used as a reliable daily driver. I needed to perform very little service on it. It only needed one pricey repair, an a/c evaporator. Buy one and startle the non-car people with the two trunks!

Great overall car with minor flaws
By in2deep on 07/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Porsche Boxster 2dr Convertible

Pros: Great looking car. Drives well. Tons of storage space. Cons: Thank God for the warranty. I couldn't afford the car without it. Ergonomics need improvement. Why even have a mechanical speedometer when it's unusable. Replace with oil and battery gauge. For a high end car, the radio is mediocre at best. Clutch is clunky.

Wondering if I made the right decision
By SADinGermany on 06/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Porsche Boxster 2dr Convertible

Yeah a Porsche, I thought I was getting a great deal with a 98 and less then 25k miles. Thank goodness I didn't pay that much, because the first trip to the dealer for a tuneup set me back $1500 and was told that I would need a new starter soon. Then a week later, I was putting the roof down and the back window split down the middle. The Porsche dealer said it was my fault for putting down the roof in cold weather- it was 10C. This is a great little car really fun to drive! But had I known that the quality of the parts were that crappy I never would have bought it. I would have gone for the BMWZ3.

Buying it is the cheap part
By Mordant on 04/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Porsche Boxster 2dr Convertible

I was so excited when I got my Porsche Boxter, but my excitement soon turned into disgust. Yes, there is no argument that this is a fun car to drive, not to mention it looks great. It's the high & frequent repair bills I can do without. The repairs are small, but their price ticket is over the top. I paid $750 for a spring for the roof, and $3K and all I got for my buck was 2 front tires, brakes, and a repair to a small oil leak. According to the tech at the dealership, this is not unusual. The scheduled maintenance will run you hundreds for your fluids and belts to be checked. Love the look, but no thank you. This is my 1stand last Boxter!

98 Boxster
By Efro on 02/14/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Porsche Boxster 2dr Convertible

Excellent car! Fun to drive but needs more HP.

one FINE car!
By Erez on 07/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Porsche Boxster 2dr Convertible

the boxster... one of the funest to driver car in the world! i enjoy every sec in it!

Porsche bliss
By riverdale21 on 07/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Porsche Boxster 2dr Convertible

I have driven some nice cars in my time. For quite some time now I have been obsessed with Audi's powerful sedan the 2002 S4. Having driven a Porsche for the first time today I immediately fell in love. The Porsche Boxster is a excellent addition as a second car for anyone looking for a car that is loads of fun to drive in the twisty mountain roads, yet is still comfortable and roomy and can hold a set of clubs in the trunk. The Audi can be my family hauler, but my Porsche is my get-away car.