2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Solstice model:
New 2009 GXP
By passkey on 05/05/12 13:33 PM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP GXP 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car had only 2,600 miles on it when we picked it up in Florida two weeks ago. We drove it back 1,300 miles to upstate NY. Fun experience is at the top. Seats are comfortable but soft top noisey on the road. No storage to speak of but, we brought our supplies in duffle bags. Suitcases are out of the question. Some items can be place behind the seats but only with seats slid forward. 27.2 mpg driving highways and speed limits. Small gas tank (13gals.). The turbo engine is super responsive. It does get the looks and positive comments from friends. It fits the bill for what we were looking for. A 2,600 mile trip in two weeks. Top speed 145 & 0 -60 in 5.5 sec. (haven't confirmed either)

Orphan Car
By first timer on 09/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP GXP 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I was not going to buy a car for 2 more years but looked at the Solstice and knew that this vehicle was different than all the others, so I bought it after driving it. I have never purchased a car as quickly as this one. I am 6 ft tall and 230 pounds but I fit into it nicely. It handles good, fast and really catches the eye. I have always liked orphaned cars as I have owned many Studebaker. You either love this car or you hate it. That is what I like about it. It brings out an emotion from people. Cars have always had emotion attached to them. They only made about 1266 total 2009 coupes so they are rare from the start.

My first year
By auto teacher on 03/04/10 11:50 AM (PST)

2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP GXP 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I am 5'9",165 lbs. male and find the car very comfortable. I have had no failures with the vehicle. I added an aftermarket wood, dash kit and shifter on my automatic trans. The power,window switches are just wrong and the top is a little difficult, but compared to my old MG's not that bad. I know some complain about the trunk, but it works for me. I love the car. I find some of the buff book reviews to be strangely biased towards the Miata, but my GXP is far ahead of that car. Too bad GM was mismanaged into eliminating the Kappa platform, but I got one and plan to keep it around for a while.

I hate it!!!
By IOB on 02/10/10 20:56 PM (PST)

2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP GXP 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I regret every buying this car! Sure, it is fun with the top down and driving on weather permitting outings, but otherwise it stinks. My car has been in the shop three different times and had a camshaft sensor problem that was repaired. The motor seems sluggish IMO and it is fairly quick, but seems harsh for a turbo. Power is not a smooth delivery. Clutch is quirky with a notchy shift linkage. The damn thing is horribly uncomfortable and interior is cheap at best. No room for anything.The top execution could be much better. The car is not what I expected. Fuel economy on the highway is good and it looks good, but otherwise I hate it!!!! I would trade this pain in a heartbeat if I could.

Happy ending
By Elnathan on 11/18/09 10:28 AM (PST)

2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP GXP 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have admired the Solstice since it first appeared. I realized recently that, to buy a new one, it was now or never. Couldn't be happier. Impossible to find comparable beauty in a new roadster for under 150K. Sure, there are a few shortcomings (cup holders, etc.), but every time I am about to get irritated I just get out of the car and look at it a while. It is supremely beautiful. Even if such transcendent looks could ever become a visual cliche, it will never happen because so few Solstices are going to be around. My wife and I have had seperate cars for some time, but she just announced that she considered the Solstice to be OUR car. It does that to people.

Love the Car
By Victor Gonzalez on 10/28/09 20:39 PM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP GXP 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love this car a lot. Everyday I drive it, I love it even more. Really fun to drive, and is a pretty fast car. The car looks great. I am constantly turning heads when I drive. The interior is really comfortable, I have driven for hours and have felt great right after. It is actually very roomy for a two seater. Interior does have some hard plastics, but it looks pretty good. Storage is a bit of a lack in this car. Overall this car feels good on the road, is quick, and looks spectacular. Manual top is really easy to handle, but would enjoy an automatic one. Many people complain about the five speed, but i have no complaints about it.

AWESOME
By Tari on 10/16/09 01:36 AM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP GXP 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After a summer of not enough time to drive this incredible machine I am sad to say I am taking it to the dealership to have it buffed out, oil changed and tuck it in for the salty months in WI. This car is what you want it to be.. pedal to the boards and 10mpg or out on the interstate getting 40 mpg. I had the power up pkg added and will never regret it. The GXP model is def worth the little extra. My other half just got the 2010 Camaro he ordered so now we're a transforming couple! LOL He got the 426 hp SS...it goes without saying an incredible car that doesn't disappoint, accept finding a place to really open it up!

Kansas
By Gene on 10/11/09 06:59 AM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP GXP 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The car is more than I exspected. Fun to drive has the power and the sound of a true sports car and its American made. Driving it gives you a relaxed mind set. I don't know about the car turning heads as you go by I'm enjoying it to much!

Drop Top Dream
By Tari on 05/29/09 23:51 PM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP GXP 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Although I have only owned a month and put about 700 miles on it, it hasn't disappointed me yet. I had the power up package added. Now 290 HP and 340 ft lbs torque according to article in Hot Rod. I still get goosebumps when I step it down and look at speedometer, I won't admit what it read! Admittedly going to be a summer ride for me but it will be a GREAT summer!

GXP me.
By gxpdavid on 01/23/09 11:39 AM (PST)

2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP GXP 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

As my car breaks in more and more (15,000 miles.) i like it it more and more. Some of teh switches and cup holders are in slightly wierd places but you get used to it. As for comfort and performance: I love the car. Handles, fast , good fuel economy and it turns heads everywhere I go. My friends all know I can buy a more exspensive car. So they allway ask me why a Pontiac? It's a top notch performer, that's why. Near perfect 50/50 wieght and 260HP add up to lots of fun.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Pontiac Solstice Gxp in VA is:

$135 per month*