Used 2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Pontiac Solstice - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Solstice model:

New 2009 GXP
By passkey

2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP GXP 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car had only 2,600 miles on it when we picked it up in Florida two weeks ago. We drove it back 1,300 miles to upstate NY. Fun experience is at the top. Seats are comfortable but soft top noisey on the road. No storage to speak of but, we brought our supplies in duffle bags. Suitcases are out of the question. Some items can be place behind the seats but only with seats slid forward. 27.2 mpg driving highways and speed limits. Small gas tank (13gals.). The turbo engine is super responsive. It does get the looks and positive comments from friends. It fits the bill for what we were looking for. A 2,600 mile trip in two weeks. Top speed 145 & 0 -60 in 5.5 sec. (haven't confirmed either)

Favorite Features

LOOKS, turbo engine responsives, comfortable seats, great sound system, chrome attributes, top easy to lower (raise) and store, XM radio, LOOKS, ride feel OK but a sports car. Did I mention it looks GREAT ! Decent gas milage. Mix gas by alternating between regular & +plus at fill ups at half tank levels. Works good so far.

Suggested Improvements

Softer suspension for better ride. No spare tire, just an included air pump and stop leak ? Maybe another cup holder (1 included). Storage space. The snap down rear roof flaps look good but getting to be a nuisance already. Padded arm rests - I use new cloth hand towels where appropriate or else my elbows get sore. Hard to see stop lights change when stopped without bending your head down. Rear view better than expected using all three mirrors.

Orphan Car
By first timer

2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP GXP 2dr Coupe (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I was not going to buy a car for 2 more years but looked at the Solstice and knew that this vehicle was different than all the others, so I bought it after driving it. I have never purchased a car as quickly as this one. I am 6 ft tall and 230 pounds but I fit into it nicely. It handles good, fast and really catches the eye. I have always liked orphaned cars as I have owned many Studebaker. You either love this car or you hate it. That is what I like about it. It brings out an emotion from people. Cars have always had emotion attached to them. They only made about 1266 total 2009 coupes so they are rare from the start.

Favorite Features

Looks, performance, good gas mileage, fun to drive with coupe top on or off. Solid car with rear wheel drive. The GXP model is really great for power with upgrades available.

Suggested Improvements

I wish car was about 8-10 inches longer. A little more storage in back. Window switches are in wrong place. More and better cup holder placement. Easier access for battery replacement.

My first year
By auto teacher

2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP GXP 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I am 5'9",165 lbs. male and find the car very comfortable. I have had no failures with the vehicle. I added an aftermarket wood, dash kit and shifter on my automatic trans. The power,window switches are just wrong and the top is a little difficult, but compared to my old MG's not that bad. I know some complain about the trunk, but it works for me. I love the car. I find some of the buff book reviews to be strangely biased towards the Miata, but my GXP is far ahead of that car. Too bad GM was mismanaged into eliminating the Kappa platform, but I got one and plan to keep it around for a while.

Favorite Features

Power, power, power, and handling.

Suggested Improvements

Can't be any so why suggest.

I hate it!!!
By IOB

2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP GXP 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I regret every buying this car! Sure, it is fun with the top down and driving on weather permitting outings, but otherwise it stinks. My car has been in the shop three different times and had a camshaft sensor problem that was repaired. The motor seems sluggish IMO and it is fairly quick, but seems harsh for a turbo. Power is not a smooth delivery. Clutch is quirky with a notchy shift linkage. The damn thing is horribly uncomfortable and interior is cheap at best. No room for anything.The top execution could be much better. The car is not what I expected. Fuel economy on the highway is good and it looks good, but otherwise I hate it!!!! I would trade this pain in a heartbeat if I could.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy and the way the car looks.

Suggested Improvements

BUILD QUALITY ON THE ENTIRE CAR AND REFINEMENTS TO THE HARSH MOTOR. The motor feels and sounds like a cheap car such as a Z24 did back in the day.The lines where body parts meet are uneven.

Happy ending
By Elnathan

2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP GXP 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have admired the Solstice since it first appeared. I realized recently that, to buy a new one, it was now or never. Couldn't be happier. Impossible to find comparable beauty in a new roadster for under 150K. Sure, there are a few shortcomings (cup holders, etc.), but every time I am about to get irritated I just get out of the car and look at it a while. It is supremely beautiful. Even if such transcendent looks could ever become a visual cliche, it will never happen because so few Solstices are going to be around. My wife and I have had seperate cars for some time, but she just announced that she considered the Solstice to be OUR car. It does that to people.

Favorite Features

Breathtaking beauty, smooth and authroitative power and handling. attractive and largely functional interior appointments, last, and once more: breathtaking beauty.

Suggested Improvements

Work on the cup holders, window button placement and other minor things that make some reviewers unhappy. But do nothing that would alter the exterior shape of the car.