2002 Pontiac Grand Prix - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:
I might get another!
By packisgreat on 10/30/14 17:03 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I've had 2002 GT Cpe since 2005 and at 125K it's going strong. Only larger repair has been a wheel bearing. It gets up to 30MPG-which was a 2200 mile trip at about 83 MPH in Mn and ND when it was at abt 110K. Uses no oil. Only irritating thing is the water leaking into tail lights. I'm looking to get a 2001 for my son.

Great car, very reliable
By deabomb on 09/08/14 07:22 AM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix SE that I bought in February 2003 with 24000 miles on it. Almost 12 years later with just under 110,000 miles on it, she is still going strong. The only major problem I had with it in 2008 was the known issue of the intake manifold gasket leaking and blowing coolant out. It cost me $700 to fix the damage. Other than that snafu, it hasn't given me any trouble. I love this car. Hubby wants me to trade it in for something newer with more bells and whistles, but I can't part with it. It has been a solid, reliable car for me and I hope I can get another 100,000 miles out of it.

200k and going strong
By jazbo01 on 03/30/14 17:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Update to a review a few years ago..my GP now was 200,000 on it, no visible rust we have owned it for the past 100,000 miles and the only work done to it has been maintenance NO issues-ever starts and runs whether its 100* or -40*. I drove this car back and forth for training 800 miles a week in -20 to -40 degree winter and the car avg 28.3mpg over the 6 week time frame..unreal! I have no plans on selling this car until it rots out and then ill buy another one. Great car!

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
By sendog2013 on 04/03/13 11:24 AM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I was pretty lucky when my fiancée discovered my car on Kijiji! A private dealer had gotten my ride from a dealership where it has been traded in for a new car. The last owners basically used the car to drive to the store and church when it wasn't garaged most of its life! With only 114,000 kms and mint inside and very good outside it was pretty much brand new! Anyway, on to my review! A blast to drive, fast and handles awesome! I use it mostly for the highway as I'm traveling between provinces for work and moving. Glides perfectly at high speeds and before you know it you're doing 140 without watching your speed.

Gas mileage
By tbrenz93 on 09/09/12 20:33 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I currently own a 2002 grand prix with 161,100 miles on it and for some reason it goes through $15 of gas in a few miles. I wouldnt recommend driving it to 160,000 miles, its a junker now.

Great Mpg's, a lot of leg room and powerful!
By k_relyt on 07/08/12 21:36 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have driven this car for 80,000+ miles and I know what I am talking about when I say this is a great car! I bought the car with 70,000 and now its at 150+ and I have only had to replace minor bits and pieces that come along with driving a car that much. Brake pads, wheel bearings and a battery once. You don't have to buy a 4 cylinder civic to get good milage. This can get 33 tops on hwy and 21 in the city. I avg. 28 driving through mnt. ranges on cruise. For a 2dr the back seat is spacious for leg room and comfy. I can fit my snowboards and wakeboard in my trunk no problem as well as move all my belongings in the thing. It's sharp with the 17" chrome rims and can give you amazing v6power.

Great machine for an older car
By jazbo01 on 01/01/12 14:13 PM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car to drive to work, at first i felt i paid too much but after putting 20k on it and having NO issues.. and no rust, it was a great deal! Good fuel economy, good power-no fears when passing. Big, heavy, solid car..the way I like em! Has 140K on it and it runs, and drives like new, rides great and with snow tires will go where my truck will! Very glad I bought a Grand Prix, would do it all over again! you cant beat the 3.8 for power and reliability. if you are considering buying an inexpendsive used car definately look at a grand prix you wont regret it!

First Car
By jdaily01 on 11/14/11 18:34 PM (PST)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought a 2002 pontiac grand prix se for my first car only 6months ago. When I got it, it had 122000miles on it, which though high isn't too high. Since buying this car, I've had 3 windows crap out on me, only fixing the driver side one. It cost about $350 at a dealership to get the window fixed, luckily I found a local mechanic to do it for a lot cheaper. Though now the ignition won't recognize the car as being in park, therefore not releasing the key. Problems just keep adding up, I am able to bypass the the ignition to release the key but I cannot recommend this car. There are multiple reviews online showing that I am not alone, pontiac uses cheap parts making problems more probable.

Got my money's worth...
By gportoulas on 10/21/11 15:56 PM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 02 grand prix back in 2005 and it had 50k on it already. I made it to 164k miles with no major problems until now. The biggest thing I needed work on was a catalytic converter. I had minor leaking of antifreeze and I found out it was due to the plastic intake mannifold. I guess GM cheaped out when they used plastic and that part cracks easy. MY antifreeze leaks more now and the heating panel is shot. Like I said, I put an extra 114k miles on it over 6.5 years. It did me well.

Best thing since sliced bread
By blaze5222 on 08/01/11 07:33 AM (PDT)

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I just bought my wife a 02 grand prix gt.... and it rocks.... sure since it is used and has about 65000 miles on it.... there are a few minor issues... but for a used car, I never would have thought I would feel safe sending my wife the 150 miles to the beach without me..