Used 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Consumer Reviews - 151 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

Did it AGAIN
By TJ Jones

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Ibought my 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix 4 years ago with 89000 miles on it. It was clear that it had some adventures before I bought it but I needed a car quick. Was pleasantly surprised when I did a road trip and got 31 miles per gallon - not bad for the 3.1 V6 Living in the North Country where winter can last 6 months and commuting 95 miles a day hasd put this car to the test. The biggesdt problem has been the wheel bearings. Luckily I am able to replace them myself- have done all 4 of them. Had a LITTLE trouble the first winter withthe security system shutting off the car after 10 seconds. On the internet I found a module that allowed me to bypass the security system and it has been starting great ever since. Now with 189000+ miles on it I am replaceing the car with another Pontiac Grand Prix. I just bought a 2007 withthe 3.8 V6. Am looking forward to another great Pontiac.

2002 pontiac grand prix
By Mariyah

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

This car is completely reliable and comfortable! The interior is very big, not making any one too cramped. The only problem is it isn't the best on gas, but not the worst. Id be careful if driving is being super constant because then you might have to fill gas with plus or premium, not regular.

Very lucky to come across this car
By Winomie Wilson

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Back when I bought it 8 yrs ago it was perfect for 3 kids. So many road trips, daily driving and at times it being our only vehicle I never had to worry about being left stranded. 190 K and no major repairs. Water pump, abs system, radiator cleaned and fuel pump. In 8 yrs that is great. Transmission and engine are still strong and the gas mileage is great. Interior has some flaws but not too bad and it has had issues with holding water after extremely wet seasons but believe that was a previous owner /mechanic issue by removing seals. Bought a new vehicle due to family growth and needs but still have this as our just in case vehicle and will be passed on to the kids.

Love This Car! 238K and Still Going Strong!
By Ben Morris

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car with 137,000 miles on it six years ago. According to the previous owner the transmission was replaced at 130,000 miles. I have had very little trouble with this car, the only real repair it has needed was that the rocker panels needed to be replaced. This is a great looking vehichle with classic great looking Pontiac lines. My least favorite part of this car was the low quality of the interior, which I feel that I could easily tear apart. The performance of this car has been outstanding though. Though the 3.1L isn't as fast as the 3.8L, it is much less prone to blowing head gaskets and mine has gotten to 238K miles and I still haven't had an issue. I get great gas mileage(19 City, 32 Highway), and the wide body design makes steering feel controlled, as I once was able to evade a moose going 60 in a 55! Overall I love this car and I would recommend it to anyone.

Reliable, but has quirks
By Big Jim

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Has some electronics and electrical issues. Engine and transmission are solid. Got for about $5k several years ago. Hasn't missed a beat.