Used 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix

View reviews for a specific Grand Prix model:

I might get another!
By packisgreat

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I've had 2002 GT Cpe since 2005 and at 125K it's going strong. Only larger repair has been a wheel bearing. It gets up to 30MPG-which was a 2200 mile trip at about 83 MPH in Mn and ND when it was at abt 110K. Uses no oil. Only irritating thing is the water leaking into tail lights. I'm looking to get a 2001 for my son.

Favorite Features

Power-very decent MPG for the size and power Reliable

Suggested Improvements

Too late they stop making Poncho's But the taillights leaking is a pain.

Great car, very reliable
By deabomb

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix SE that I bought in February 2003 with 24000 miles on it. Almost 12 years later with just under 110,000 miles on it, she is still going strong. The only major problem I had with it in 2008 was the known issue of the intake manifold gasket leaking and blowing coolant out. It cost me $700 to fix the damage. Other than that snafu, it hasn't given me any trouble. I love this car. Hubby wants me to trade it in for something newer with more bells and whistles, but I can't part with it. It has been a solid, reliable car for me and I hope I can get another 100,000 miles out of it.

Favorite Features

My favorite features on this car is the enormous trunk and large interior.

Suggested Improvements

I am not a fan of the cheesy car diagram on the dash, but I have gotten over it in the past 12 years!

200k and going strong
By jazbo01

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Update to a review a few years ago..my GP now was 200,000 on it, no visible rust we have owned it for the past 100,000 miles and the only work done to it has been maintenance NO issues-ever starts and runs whether its 100* or -40*. I drove this car back and forth for training 800 miles a week in -20 to -40 degree winter and the car avg 28.3mpg over the 6 week time frame..unreal! I have no plans on selling this car until it rots out and then ill buy another one. Great car!

Favorite Features

Reliability and easy to maintain.

Suggested Improvements

GM should still be building them.

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
By sendog2013

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I was pretty lucky when my fiancée discovered my car on Kijiji! A private dealer had gotten my ride from a dealership where it has been traded in for a new car. The last owners basically used the car to drive to the store and church when it wasn't garaged most of its life! With only 114,000 kms and mint inside and very good outside it was pretty much brand new! Anyway, on to my review! A blast to drive, fast and handles awesome! I use it mostly for the highway as I'm traveling between provinces for work and moving. Glides perfectly at high speeds and before you know it you're doing 140 without watching your speed.

Favorite Features

The heads up display is awesome and the vehicle diagnostic center is very helpful tracking your mileage, mpgs, oil change intervals and fuel used/remaining! The Bose stereo system rocks but no inputs :-( Working on getting an aftermarket stereo or expensive changer input toplug in an mp3 input or iPod. The interior is perfect! I'm a big guy and I have more than enough space! All the gages and switches are easily accessible and visible... lots of cargo space, and passengers are comfortable. Really thinking about going to a 2009 G6 ... when I retire this car! I've rolled with Chevy and Volkswagen the last 10 years and now I'm getting into Pontiac... very solid vehicles and the V6 is solid!

Suggested Improvements

None that I can see! Brakes solid, handles very well and the 200hp is nice in the city and passing on the highway!

Gas mileage
By tbrenz93

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 4dr Sedan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I currently own a 2002 grand prix with 161,100 miles on it and for some reason it goes through $15 of gas in a few miles. I wouldnt recommend driving it to 160,000 miles, its a junker now.

Favorite Features

Power, Exterior

Suggested Improvements

Better Mileage