Used 2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS Consumer Reviews - 33 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue - Consumer Reviews

2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue

View reviews for a specific Intrigue model:

Larry's Oldsmobile
By LARRY FERNSTROM

2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS 4dr Sedan

This is a great older car.

Fantastic car!
By Dee Hrin

2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car when it was 8 years old and 8 years later STILL going strong! If I had the $ to take care of the undercarriage rust I'd do it! This car has been GREAT for me! It it's STILL worth a decent amount even now!

Not the greatest
By BK

2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS 4dr Sedan

This was my first car I had at 16 and owned it for 7 years. Bought it used with around 70,000 miles and worked good for the first year or 2. Performance was pretty good for a "grandma" car, putting the pedal down going about 30 would still break the tires loose. Understeer was as expected in a front wheel drive but it did well in the winter as long as there wasn't a huge snow storm. There were several things that went bad in the years I had it though. Wheel bearings were terrible. After about 2 years I had to replace the front bearings. Not long after that the rear ones went out. And about 3 years after replacing the rear bearings they went out again. 6 bearings for a car with 4 wheels over about a 5 or 6 year period is ridiculous, I initially blamed my driving thinking I took corners maybe faster than the car was meant for but I have since learned this was a common problem with the vehicle. About 3 years into owning it the electronic control module crapped out and wasn't worth the estimated $1000 for the dealership to fix it so I lived with it. This going out caused the dashboard to look like a christmas tree, no ABS, no traction control, the power steering just felt different but I can't describe the feeling even though it wasn't bad it was just different, the precision control didn't work even though I wasn't sure what that even did so that may be where the power steering felt different, electronics in the cab would do weird things like turn off the cruise control if you roll a window down and things of that nature. The cool thing about the ECM going out was the governor also went with it so one time while passing 4 cars I was able to take it to 126 before I decided it was smart to let off the gas. Passenger rear window went out and the replacement motor only worked for a few months so I believe the ECM going out had something to do with this. One spring the car was idling real low and would die at stop lights and that turned out to be a sensor in the engine. Another time the car idled way too high and I had to shift it into neutral at stop lights while onlookers probably thought I was showing off by revving the engine and then slamming it into gear, that was another sensor issue in the engine. And towards the end of my time with the vehicle it just shifted like crap, hard shifts and had problems finding the right gear to be in. This vehicle was probably my last experience I will ever have with a GM, there was always something wrong with it.

Great car
By morin1

2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car new and wish Olds was still around making them.
Great handling and milage, looks nice and is very comfortable, love it.
The only problem it had was several years ago freon leaked out...they found the leak and fixed it at a small cost.
Very happy I purchased an Intrigue.

Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS
By gudnason100

2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought my Intrigue in 2003 off lease with 60000Km (36000 mi) it now has 306,000 km and still running great. Everything still works power windows, sun roof, heated seats, power seat and leather seats still good. Rebuilt transmission last year which only cost me $2200, fuel sensor problem is caused by additive in certain gas. Use Shell and you will never have an issue. Replaced flywheel about 5 years ago with a used one.
Lots of available used parts from wrecking yards which keep the cost of repair down because GM does not product a lot of parts for the Olds anymore. Northstar engine is still very strong, no rust although I do undercoat it annually.

Lots of power and it is great in the winter although I do install winter tires. (insurance companies give us a discount)

Transmission could have been better, need to baby it, change fluid every 2 years and watch it. My transmission did not fail but it was shifting rough, repair shop said it would still last but it was annoying, installed a transmission cooler and that helped a lot to keep it cool since it only shifted rough when fluid got hot.