Used 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue - Consumer Reviews

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan

View reviews for a specific Intrigue model:

Are you sure this is an Olds?
By xzmr

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I am in love with this car. I have the Shortstar 3.5L and it goes fast. I love the way it sounds around 4,000RPM. I love the sound system. Its almost a perfect car. Build quality is eh. But that's what you get when you buy an American car. And the fuel economy isn't where I'd want it to be. I'm averaging 23MPG. 130,000 miles and still running perfect. It's so smooth and refined. It feels like a brand new car. The shifts are so seamless almost like its CVT. The handling is spot on, feels like a European car. But my favorite part, when you're doing about 50 and need to pass, in less than three seconds you're pushing 75. Just downshifts and goes like hell. Really a family car with muscle.

Favorite Features

Power, sound, sound system, handling, comfort, smoothness, and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Build quality. Bring back Olds with a modern Intrigue, GM! The new Regal and Malibu aren't cutting it.

Olds intrigue is Fun to drive, comfortable.
By drdoug99

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I just bought the car used off a random guy off Craigslist for 1,000 bucks a couple months ago. It has issues of course, most minor, some major for a 14 year old car. Just put another 1,000 into it having the rear strut assemblies replaced, new exhaust system, tie rod, alignment, etc. This is all the major work that needed done. The rest is piddly stuff that any old car would need. So for 2,000 bucks I have a car that drives like a 10,000 car. It's got the 3.5L, with 160,000 miles on it. The engine and transmission shift smooth and quiet. The motor has plenty of passing power. Very impressed with the car overall.

Favorite Features

This is the GLS model I was lucky enough to find, so it's got the leather power seats which are cool, never had that before. Compass on rear view mirror. Huge trunk size. Was not expecting this huge of a trunk on this car. The car looks like a larger size full sedan, but handles great, steering is tight, I have no problem with getting into or out of parking spaces. Plenty of rear seat room to fit 2 to 3 adults comfortably. (Real adults over 200 lbs.)

Suggested Improvements

I could think of improvements, but since Oldsmobile is no more, not like it's going to do any good anyway to list them. Any improvements, like obviously the CD player will have to be changed out to a MP3 player model for the 21st century LOL...I'll have to do myself.

I love this car!
By definingme

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in July of 2012 with 123K miles on her. It's a huge upgrade from my previous cars. She's an old V6, so naturally there are repairs, but she runs beautifully! I love the sound of the engine, and the feel! She is so easy to drive in the Midwestern snow/ice because she's much heavier than my previous cars. Since buying her, I've put on another 10K miles, and I have no regrets! She's reliable, sporty, comfortable, and by far the favorite car I've owned thus far!

Favorite Features

I love the weight! She gets around perfectly in Midwestern snow/ice/winds. I like the steering wheel stereo controls. I never thought I'd bother using them... until I had them. Leather seats are always nice, no more problems with spilt coffee. The sunroof, wow! I didn't use my air conditioner once after buying her, I didn't need to!

Suggested Improvements

My biggest issue with this car is some of the smaller details. The windshield wipers don't always like to behave, the driver's side wiper fluid doesn't squirt at all sometimes. The window motors quit pretty fast. Also, the HAVOC vent door for the heater is broken, which is quite popular in Intrigues from what I've read.

Update since my 6/20/06 post, "I miss the 3.5"
By oldskidd

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

I recommended this 99 Intrigue GL 3.5L back in spring 2001 with 27k mi for $13,500 to my parents and they bought it. It hit 100k in 2006 when i last posted and it currently has 137k. They just replaced the A/C condenser so the A/C works now *thank gawd, it's hot this summer! They've also replaced the exhaust system, suspension parts, and a few other minor things. i borrowed the Intrigue recently when my car was in the shop and I have to say this car still feels solid. My 2006 Saab has rattles in the door and which is disappointing for the Saab but impressive for the Intrigue because there isn't a single rattle in the cabin.

Favorite Features

Still lovin the grunt of the 3.5L Twin Cam V6. The styling has aged well; the car does NOT look like it's 13 years old!

Suggested Improvements

I know it's beating a dead horse but if GM had dropped Buick instead of Olds then the current day LaCrosse would be the Oldsmobile Intrigue!

If I could, I would buy another one!
By maani

1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue Sedan GL 4dr Sedan

As a car for a first time driver, I would give this car a 5 out of 5. It was safe, easy to handle, hard to dent and not embarrassing to be seen driving. My parents purchased this car in 2007 with 69,501 miles for $5000. Standard maintenance was fairly cheap. The only expensive replacement part was the alternator in 2011 at 120,000 miles. Sadly, I no longer drive it due to accident that hit my front driver's side wheel and ruined the driver's side door. The driver was going 45mph when they hit me and I walked away without a single scratch. I would totally buy another intrigue if I could!

Favorite Features

Easy handling and steering, the quality of the interior, the v6 engine, the exterior popping out large dents (A God send when you live on a college campus!), and the ability to drive in all weather conditions. No need to worry about getting home from work in a level two snow storm!

Suggested Improvements

Steering wheel vibrated a bit violently when traveling at speeds greater than 70mph, and the seal around the windows would freeze below 40 degrees Fahrenheit.