No Major Problems After Eleven Years!
By J Bloom on
1996 Oldsmobile Ciera SL 4dr Wagon
I have two '96 Cierras. The other one is a 4-door sedan. My wagon has 108,000 miles on it while my daughter has 132,000 miles on her college bound four door. The wagon has just had the water pump and fuel pump replaced for the first time shortly after it turned 100,000 miles and the drive belt was replaced at 80,000. It's comfortable and the fuel economy - especially on trips is very good. Both get exactly what the EPA reports - about 20 mpg in town, and 29 to 30 mpg on trips. The 3.1 V6 engine combined with a four speed automatic (overdrive) transmission does the trick. Even my 3-speed auto '90 Corolla doesn't deliver 30 mpg on the highway! The sedan had a top manifold leak at 125,000 miles, so I'm watching for similar problems with the wagon. It's OK so far.
Favorite Features
It has lots of features that luxury cars of the mid 90's had. I like the remote mirror controls, keyless entry, 6 way power seats, and convenient cup holders at the front of the middle arm rest. These cars are now old enough that you can find them with low mileage and be well under $2,000! It's a great second car!
Suggested Improvements
'96 was last year for Ciera. It has no passenger air bag. Removing the battery can be frustrating with little room and more than a few minutes of work.