1999 Nissan Maxima Consumer Review: Take it to the 'Max'

1999 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Review

Take it to the 'Max'
By John Bull on

1999 Nissan Maxima GLE 4dr Sedan

Leased my Maxima GLE on a whim on my Birthday in 1999. I knew as soon as I fired up the silky V6 and drove down one particularly rough section of road, I had to have it. It's cushy yet fun to drive in the twisties, though it won't be confused with a sports car. This car's forte is silent running and comfy cruising. The Bose system is amazing. People have said the styling is non descript, and I tend to agree to a point, but blending in is good, especially since the car loves to run fast; I've found myself well in excess of the 65 MPH limit and not being aware. Sometimes I'll go for a drive just to listen to the Bose and feel the response and smoothness.

Bose stereo, auto climate control, silky V6. Feels solid without feeling ponderous. The interior is very inviting; the leather and the wood trim go well together, and even though the wood trim isn't real, it looks real enough, and is placed about the cabin in all the right places.

The major gripe I have with the car is that the bumpers have never matched the rest of the car. Maybe the color (Icelandic White Pearl) has a part in it but can't believe Nissan can't get the bumpers to match. Auto makers should use the material on the bumper that Saturn uses.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review