2003 Nissan Altima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
The last nissan I'll ever own
By lola3053 on 12/09/09 16:12 PM (PST)

2003 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

First let me say that I am meticulous about upkeep and basic maintenance (oil changes, etc.) My Altima, with 139,000 km's (100,000 miles) on it absolutely self- destructed over the past two weeks. For no reason that I or any mechanic can find the engine suddenly (over two days) burned out all of it's oil and then scored the cylinders so badly that it needs to be replaced. I never really enjoyed this car. It looked great, but handled like a girls car. It was always sort of "dainty" and overly sensitive to steering inputs. Also, the plastic used in the interior components and the boot around the gear-stick were of extremely low quality.

DONT BE FOOLED WITH THIS LEMON MODEL
By Sara on 11/27/09 12:01 PM (PST)

2003 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this car 5 years ago, paid top dollar for the one year old car. It had all the options on it I was looking for as well as lots of room. This car has had several recalls, all of which have been repaired. However 2 years ago MAJOR probs started when my heat went out. Nissan had NO idea how to fix it. Then just this month my catalytic converted exploded, I replaced and a week later with more probs told it was TOTAL ENGINE FAILURE. At 130,000 highly maintained miles this should not be expected from a Nissan. But the Nissan reps I have spoken to, have said it was old and not surprising. I expected more out of a $24,000 car. I have driven Hondas much more. Will never buy another Nissan.

In the end, reliable
By wrecks7 on 11/20/09 17:53 PM (PST)

2003 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

The car proved to be fairly reliable, especially since I paid little attention to its upkeep. At the time and at this price point, the Altima stood alone in performance and appearance. The AC went kaput in year four, engine mounts in year six. Downside is the poor material used in for the interior (I've seen GM cars with better plastic), and the body is only slightly more dent resistant than a can of Spam. However, the most frustrating was its awful turning radius. It was inexcusably poor.

Held up on West and East
By Rhode I to Nevada on 10/30/09 17:28 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Has been a reliable care up to 113K miles. First (recently), the computer chip that controls the shifting. Second, the struts are now history. However the brakes lasted for 100K miles. I bought this car new in CT and it's not with me in NV. Sslvage life is coming due but I still got a good ROI considering what I paid for it new.

Holy Pricey Repairs, Batman!
By SRyan on 10/22/09 13:04 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I love my Nissan, but will not be purchasing another. Mechanically it has been sound, but there have been body issues and minor things that are expensive to repair. (Ex. $103 to change a headlamp BULB). If you live in the snow belt, you will notice that snow packs into the wheel well, making steering in bad weather difficult. Also tends to get stuck in snow, due to riding so low to the ground.

Been a great car so far
By Halbergrada on 09/29/09 06:12 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I have put 57,000 miles on my Altima. Right now I'm sitting at just under 75,000 miles. So far I have not had any major maintenance issues and the car has been very reliable. I did have to replace the brakes at 45k miles and the tires at 50k, which I think is pretty reasonable. It's not using a drop of oil. I do have one annoyance. My drivers window switch is going out and sometimes it takes a few tries to get my window to stay up.

So far so good
By Snoopy62 on 08/29/09 07:16 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car new since August, 2003 and there have been minor problems all except for the radiator tank cracking and having to be replaced. Minor problems like the hood support rod, whe I put it up to check the oil and snapped the rod into the holder under the hood, the hook part snapped off. Luckily the dealer had them in stock. This was int he cold weather so maybe it was the plastic got too rigiid otherwise I would have to hold up the hood by hand. Computer had to be reprogrammed twice after a recall. The original Continental tires stink and I finally got michelins after the second set of continentals. They only lasted 23k each set. 32 mpg on the highway using Cruise control!

Excellent All-Around Vehicle
By Trevor on 08/22/09 19:17 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used 2 years ago, and it has yet to disappoint me. It now has 107k miles and no problems. Very good acceleration and handling, great turn radius, extremely smooth ride and very spacious seating area. I love the eye catching rear light design, it hypnotizes people that drive behind me. Decent gas mileage, and nice features, overall a very satisfying vehicle. Although the "bose" sound system is a bit disappointing, and the microchip key costs over $100 to make a duplicate.

Good but with its faults
By Ivan on 07/31/09 12:11 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Altima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

The interior is cheap and pretty ugly. The turning radius is worse than a Ford Explorer. The cabin pressure is set up so that with the front two windows down theres alot of wind and pressure (compared to my 96 Maxima) but ok with all four windows down. The steering wheel is off to the left a bit and my seat seems to be facing slightly to the left, either way its not straightforward and it makes driving a bit uncomfortable. That last part is my real pet peeve. The circular dashboard is annoying too. Basically the whole interior stinks but I've had it since 52,000 miles (67 now) and no major repairs needed so far, its pretty fast, handles well (except for u-turns) and ok to look at.

awesome
By margie on 05/27/09 18:53 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Altima Sedan 2.5 SL 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I loved my Altima. I only had it 7 months but it drove so smooth, was fast and handled curves very well. I no longer have it, it was totaled after a serious accident I had. I survived but my beautiful Altima did not. It was the best vehicle I had ever had.