Used 2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (32 reviews )

150,000 and still going strong!
By dkb1028

2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought my hybrid in June of 2009 and as you can see by my mileage, practically live in it. It is a die hard. I have put on 2 sets of tires, but only one set of brakes and as of six weeks ago I'm no where near having to replace what the brakes. I drive in the mountains and on highways, so this car has seen just about everything. The only negative is the gas mileage. The difference between a regular Altima and what I had to pay for the hybrid will never be realized. In addition, oil changes and maintenance are a lot more. Would I buy another hybrid? Probably not. Would I buy another Altima? Yes.

I wish there was more trunk space!!

Good car with some issues
By mmao

2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It's a good car, with excellent MPG - I can get 37/g except in winter. How ever there are some issues. Internal design looks cheap, the Panic button is annoying (it's so easy for the horn to shout out). And just got an issue with the ignition switch: I could not start engine some times, and I was told I need $600.0 to get it fixed by the dealer!

MPG, even though it's not so good compared with the best MPG in the market.

Improve the internal design. Make the Panic button smaller?

No complaints after nearly three years
By tomsan

2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We have had our 2009 NAH since June 2009. The on-board computer for mileage runs high, as many have noted. I just completed tallying my mileage after recording miles and gallons at each fill-up. After 24,000 miles, I have averaged 34.74 mpg, through all seasons, right in line with EPA estimates. With gas here at $4.20/gallon, I'm feeling fine. Overall, it runs like any gas-powered car. The shift from gas to electric is very mild and not an issue. The rest of the car is quite fine: good comfort, good power, good feeling of safety. Yes, the trunk is a bit small but that's the price for a hybrid. And I LOVE the fact that it goes into electric at the VERY long stoplights where I live.

Bluetooth, XM radio, good feel for the road, good power, heated seats.

Back-up camera without buying navigation system.

Great Eco-Friendly Ride
By newhampster

2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Purchased a NAH in late 2009, and it just clocked 36,000 miles. It has been a great car. Although the MPG not quite as high as the Honda Civic previous car, the joy factor with this car is much higher. Very comfortable, solid handling, very peppy, and better in snow. Averaging about 35 MPG in NH summer and 31 MPG in winter -- EVT takes quite a while to activate in winter due to battery temperature sensor. Make sure there is a Nissan Hybrid authorized repair technician in your area; normal technicians are not allowed to work on NAHs.

Screaming deal with $7,000 off list plus (now expired) $2,750 federal tax credit. Beautiful styling. Excellent climate system. Keyless ignition is nice (though with NAH it is possible to walk away from an operational vehicle and not realize it is running). Comfortable seats. Good steering feel, but not as crisp as European cars. Base model is very well equipped. Excellent suite of safety features, including stability control, ABS, etc. 10 year warranty on entire hybrid system (Toyota technology).

This is primarily an Altima S with a Toyota hybrid system tacked on, rather than a hybrid built from the ground up. I would have preferred more MPG and less performance -- don't need 0-60 in 7.8 secs. Stock sound system is OK, not stellar. Small trunk due to battery system. A small refrigerant leak in the A/C system has been the only major problem. TPMS sensors are a pain. Back seat roof low for anyone over 6'. Relatively low production -- worries that it may become difficult to service.

26K Miles, Not 1 Problem
By lionnation

2009 Nissan Altima Hybrid Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Purchased a silver/black 2009 NAH loaded w/every option Dec 09; sticker was just under $35K. After dealer, manufacturer, and tax breaks, paid about $26.5K! The car is solid, comfortable, supportive for a 6'2", 200-lb frame driver. I still can't believe the great acceleration. And the gas mileage is getting better. Just got back from a trip which is optimal for maximizing gas mileage, averaging 55 MPH, got 44.5 MPG on 108 mile trip! The NAV is good, but not great. The BOSE sound system is very good. I had an 06 Civic Hybrid, which I liked but it was too hard on my back (old lumbar injury), so upgraded to this heavier hybrid, and sometimes I feel like it's a Cadillac in terms of ride quality.

External appearance, which I upgraded by tinting windows and adding rain guards. Sunroof, in-dash NAV, heated seats, soundsystem, acceleration, comfort, rearview camera, consistently getting ~ 700 miles on a tank of gas, lots of storage around the driver, which I need for my mobile office, bluetooth.

Improve awkward angle into arm rest compartment, which I access a lot (has 1 of the 2 charger adapters, holds CDs, etc). Interior/dash area somewhat bland looking, and leather seats, too, could use stitching - in fact, perforated so A/C can come thru them would be great! Would like more trunk space, but can handle 2 sets of golf clubs if nothing else is in there.