1996 Mitsubishi Galant ES Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Mitsubishi Galant - Consumer Reviews

1996 Galant Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Galant model:

Sort Reviews by

Love this car!
By mdark

1996 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 150k miles on it, has had a few minor issues but nothing abnormal for a car that's now pushing 165k miles. The car is extremely comfortable, I love driving it and the gas economy for a 1996 is AMAZING. The freeway MPG is phenomenal, however it dislikes stop and go in-town driving and traffic. Extremely reliable and the maintenance fees are pretty reasonable. I'd recommend this car to anyone, I can expect it to go 200k with ease.

Favorite Features

Overdrive Freeway gas economy Fun and ease to drive and maintain

Suggested Improvements

The car needs to be babied, it requires a car-lover. With neglecting treatment this car can be driven into the ground right quick. In-town gas economy, especially stop and go, could be improved.

Galant GS
By Monkey

1996 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan

Great little car. Even after adding some bolt on power (turbo) the car was very reliable. This is until we hit 170000, then the engine had a few stumbles. At 175000 the engine said its about my time and the transmission soon followed. I am sure that had this drivetrain remained stock it would have easily hit the 250000 mark.

Favorite Features

The dual lower front control arm setup. Makes it hug the road when maintained. Ability to use Eclipse driveline components to make the car "that much more fun".

Suggested Improvements

Grease fitting in the suspension components. I to this day do not see why they stopped putting them in the factory part for the car.

Big style, little substance.
By MBowen574

1996 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1996 Mitsubishi Galant as a college car. It had 83,400 miles on it when bought, now it is at 90,850 miles. I love the styling, inside and out. I love that it's easy to work on. I just love this car. I've done a great deal of work on it, and have mostly gotten it all working again. The engine is really smooth for a 4-cyl. with the A/C off, the interior has held up really well, all the problems the car had when I got it have been relatively easy to fix. It's a shame the parts are so expensive and the major components (engine, transmission) are so finicky about care and proper maintainence. I can provide great care to this car, and have. The previous owners didn't. It's a shame really. I plan to keep it for a long time! This is an awesome car!

Favorite Features

Head unit-mounted equalizer, fog lights, dual balance shafts, VR-4 alloy wheels, factory mudguards, and 6-disc CD changer.

Suggested Improvements

Too bad they never got around to offering that 2.5L V6, and the build quality on my 1996 Galant at 84,000 miles is much worse than a junkyard-bound 207,000 mile wrecked 1994 Galant S I've been scavenging for parts. Also, mine would be a perfect sports sedan if it had a 5- speed!

The reasonable car
By planotx

1996 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan

All I have to say about this car that it's the perfect combination of every use for you money. It is fast enough, comfortable enough, not too expensive to take care of, fun enough and still not too out of fashion.

Favorite Features

headlights, acceleration (in its category)

Suggested Improvements

interior design

Old and Steady
By Diane Bloom

1996 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan

This is second mitsubish. I owned. Minor problems on interior after 1st year, i.e. plastic parts not fitting. Internal air filter disentegrated after 5 years of ownership. Replaced brakes twice on front, battery 2x already and all tires once. Has high miles now and still works well, though a timing belt may be its next repair need. Tape deck and horn died last year as well as interior vanity light and trunk light. Love the Homelink system. Good maneuverability in tight places. Still can get over 80 mph quickly. Is squishy with one infant seat in center and another next to it. Good visibility- few blind spots. Still reliable car.

Favorite Features

Homelink and keyless entry with security system. Love the repeat feature on tape deck. I got lots of features for my money.

Suggested Improvements

Would love to have had a keyless trunk release and can't believe horn died -- never saw that happen before. Passenger seat slide track design not the best. Would have liked lumbar support in driver seat.

Great car
By millenniumsea

1996 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4dr Sedan

It's a great car, comfortable and quite fast for a mid-category family car, excellent for weekend trips and everyday use too. The interior could be more pretty, especially the color, but the interior is very well designed and practical. Surprisingly good sound system as it comes from the factory.

Favorite Features

Reliability, comfort (especially seats), cupholder placement, exterior design, huge trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Color of interior, bigger effect when driving without overdrive on auto shift.