Used 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse Consumer Reviews - 70 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Reviews

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:

My NorthStar Pony (keeping the car until I die)
By topzy

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

When I was a junior in high school in 2002 I got this car to impress a girl. I guess it worked since we ended getting engaged (2 years ago we broke up though)

Anyways, this car is very reliable. Sure, after owning a car for 9 years it's bound to break down sometimes. Thankfully, my dear car has never left me stranded anywhere. What was wrong wit it? Usually after market things I had installed (like the alarm).

She is pretty old and replacement parts have been needed. The things that hold the hatch stopped working, so I got them at a junk yard for like $5. The A/C juuuust broke down on me, lol, i used that thing all the time, even in the winter. Dash had to be replaced, thats all.

I just love the way the car looks. No car has this look! I was actually thinking about getting rid of her and maybe buying a newer car..but no. Even though I have invested thousands of dollars in body kit, paint job, rim and tires, lowering it, engine work (upgrading it), stereo system, seats, and such I will once again strip my car down, and re-paint it, put a new kit on it, new rims, new leather seats, new interior. By the time I'm finished with it.it will look even better than a new car. I swear, I will keep this car until the day I die. You know those old people that have those old school cars in their garage? That's gonna be me in like..50 years? It will look better than new cars!!!!

Improvements? Hmm, well I've never seen an Eclipse without a cracked dashboard. Maybe it's our fault by not putting one of those shade things on the window when we leave the car to protect it from the sun. Also..the headlights burn out quickly? Bad wiring, but easy fix. The radio that came with it, the cd player stopped working. That's all that has ever been wrong with my car. I mean I have had to replace the radiator 2 times, but it's not expensive and it's not "major" work. It's normal. People here that cry about how their car had to get some sort of work done on it don't understand that things in car wear and tear.

She's got it where it counts.
By stonecutter2

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I owned a 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS Automatic 4 cylinder for almost 10 years, bought new in Nov. 2001.
This car was fun to drive, had great gas mileage, and really was pretty reliable.

I will certainly miss my '02 Eclipse, but it was time for something more family friendly.

First, the negatives, to get them out of the way (no issues for the first 5 years of ownership - all of this occurred after 5 years):

The sunroof was jittery when opening, had to be assisted in popping up, the hatch wouldn't stay up by itself in cold weather, the dashboard cracked on it's own, center speaker blew/dry rotted at 7 years, O2 sensor needed replacing and so did the A/C compressor condensor.

The seats were VERY comfortable on long drives. The drive in windy conditions was superb - very aerodynamic through very strong winds on the highway. The smooth ride was always something I enjoyed, good road feel. Styling before Eclipse's redesign was very sharp - always got compliments on how good the car looked. Had a very Italian sportscar feeling to it, in my opinion. Very reliable - no significant engine or transmission issues to speak of.

The engine always had a little "purr" to it - that could almost be interpreted as a slight "rattle." This was normal throughout owning the car. I always thought that was a little odd. The dashboard cracking on it's own was weird - must need to improve the plastic formula, or something? Most issues I had with this car were very minor, and based on other reviews maybe I was lucky - all in all, a very fun car to own, comfortable to drive, and easy to look at!

I hate this car!
By Andrea

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this vehicle three years ago. I have one year left before it is is paid off. I have spent at least $10,000 in repairs. I have had to replace the following: clutch, transmission, busted head gasket, radiator, thermostat, clutch cable,stereo and speakers (not a system, just a standard radio),idle control valve, paint due to crappy factory clear coat and rims. The following remain broken on the vehicle: The clock and display system are busted the dashboard is cracked all over the place, the a/c does not work (it's gone out twice), the trunk opener is broken, the sunroof is broken and the cover is as well. The trunk won't stay open and the passenger seat adjuster is broken.

I HATE This car!

The car has been a disaster and I am now in the process of trading this WORST car I have EVER owned in my life! I will never EVER buy a Mitsubishi again.

2002 eclipse gs 5spd
By shelbyli

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

i bought the car as my first true car out of high school. wanted it for a commuter car to college and was perfect for it. every time my friend get in the car they are amazed to how comfortable it rides i even had one offer to buy my seats for his car. the stereo is great for stock better than most after market. the 5 speed is sporty and shifts the best out of all the manuals i have driven. although a little low in hp the car is still fun to drive and can still smoke a civic. the gas mileage is decent as long as you don't keep the throttle to the floor. i have had no major problems from this car and it still shines like its brand new, makes friends jealous. 96000 and still strong.

the stereo and sunroof feels like a convertible without giving away the strength of a coupe.

more powerful 4 cyl keep true to the eclipse style with a turbo 4 cyl

I love my Eclipse
By dking

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned a 2002 Eclipse RS for nearly 9 years. For the first 8 this car was perfect. Only scheduled maintenance, not a thing went wrong. In the last 10 months things have started to go. Oil pan rot. Never heard of it and could be due to living in New England. That was expensive. Air conditioner compressor, again expensive. Front struts, VERY expensive! Slave cylinder for the clutch, low cost to repair but was a major inconvenience. Rear gate lifters went the first winter in Maine. car was 5 years old at that time. I just use a stick to hold up the gate. The car has 88,000 on it and just had it's first brake job. Not bad. It's up for sale. Just bought a new Altima but will miss my Eclipse.

Handling, pep (3rd gear is amazing) front seats are comfortable but not the back! Style both inside and out. Timeless!

Kinda late now. It is what it is, an inexpensive sporty car that was fun to drive but no longer in production so suggested improvements are moot at this point