Used 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Reviews

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:

2002 eclipse gs 5spd
By shelbyli

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

i bought the car as my first true car out of high school. wanted it for a commuter car to college and was perfect for it. every time my friend get in the car they are amazed to how comfortable it rides i even had one offer to buy my seats for his car. the stereo is great for stock better than most after market. the 5 speed is sporty and shifts the best out of all the manuals i have driven. although a little low in hp the car is still fun to drive and can still smoke a civic. the gas mileage is decent as long as you don't keep the throttle to the floor. i have had no major problems from this car and it still shines like its brand new, makes friends jealous. 96000 and still strong.

Favorite Features

the stereo and sunroof feels like a convertible without giving away the strength of a coupe.

Suggested Improvements

more powerful 4 cyl keep true to the eclipse style with a turbo 4 cyl

I love my Eclipse
By dking

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned a 2002 Eclipse RS for nearly 9 years. For the first 8 this car was perfect. Only scheduled maintenance, not a thing went wrong. In the last 10 months things have started to go. Oil pan rot. Never heard of it and could be due to living in New England. That was expensive. Air conditioner compressor, again expensive. Front struts, VERY expensive! Slave cylinder for the clutch, low cost to repair but was a major inconvenience. Rear gate lifters went the first winter in Maine. car was 5 years old at that time. I just use a stick to hold up the gate. The car has 88,000 on it and just had it's first brake job. Not bad. It's up for sale. Just bought a new Altima but will miss my Eclipse.

Favorite Features

Handling, pep (3rd gear is amazing) front seats are comfortable but not the back! Style both inside and out. Timeless!

Suggested Improvements

Kinda late now. It is what it is, an inexpensive sporty car that was fun to drive but no longer in production so suggested improvements are moot at this point

A fun car with minor problems
By MitsuBenji913

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I haven't had my 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT very long, but I already love it. The car itself looks great, I've had random people on the street comment on it and often see people watching my car drive away. The inside looks good too, with the leather and design, but the controls could look a little better. Appearance isn't everything but they know that. This car had a lot of power and is a lot of fun to drive. Most other cars are left in the dust, although this does hurt the fuel economy a bit. It's painfully apparent that Mitsubishi does make these cars cheaply, though. The previous owner had to replace the clutch and I've read about major problems this car has. I still recommend it.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, looks great, Infinity sound system sounds great.

Suggested Improvements

Inside a bit small, unreliable.

Not a good car at all
By appared1992

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have had this car for over a year and I have experienced problem after problem with it. 1. The shocks went out. 2. The transmission went out. 3. The car wouldn't shift correctly. 4. The air conditioner went out. 5. The "Service Engine" light is constantly on. 6. The rim to the wheel cracked. 7. The headlights barely light up anything, even in the darkest part of the night. 8. It always leaks when it rains. I have spent over $12,000 fixing this car, and I'm about to spend another $1,000 to fix the air conditioner. I only recommend this car for people who like to spend money on their cars.

Favorite Features

The turn radius, style.

Suggested Improvements

Stop being cheap on the parts and making parts so expensive for this car. It's eating me out of house and home.

Love love love this car
By Swaygirl27

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Buy this car, you will not be disappointed! I owned mine for 5 years and sadly I was in an accident last night and it is totaled. I am so upset - I absolutely love this car. The turning radius is incredible, it's so fun to drive, the sound system is great, the seats are comfy, the exterior is sleek, I could go on forever. Most importantly though - I've had absolutely NO major problems with this car ever in 5 years. The radiator cracked about a year ago but I patched it and it was fine. It had 133,000 miles on it and still ran like a newbie. In my accident - the airbags deployed and saved my face. The damage is impressive - I expected so much worse. This car is built GREAT. RIP my dear.

Favorite Features

Exterior look, Turning radius, Sound system, interior comfort, dependable engine, safe; sturdy build.

Suggested Improvements

Raise it up a tad, it seemed to scrape everything because it's so low!