2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:
Not so good
By KellyDee on 10/25/09 14:03 PM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Not the best car ever. I only get about 23 mpg doing regular driving of city and highway combined. Stock 10 point rims were bent and found out everyone was having problems with these rims, causing accidents. I replaced them immediately. Paint is peeling from a cheap clear coat. Second gear doesn't always catch. A lot of people have these problems, not just me. Trunk pulls broke. The only good thing is it's fun to drive, and looks good. Handles turns pretty well. And does not suck up much oil at all.

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT (3.0L V6)
By Matt4991 on 08/23/09 08:22 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is a good performance car. I recommend modifications a.s.a.p. otherwise by the time your ready to modify it the car will require heavy maintenance. I love this car, I've had it nearly 2 years. It started with 68000+ miles, and is now at 86000+. Just this summer the transmission died on me, and I continuously have problems with the brakes. I drive a 4- speed automatic, tiptronic. However, I recommend not using the tiptronic feature, because my friends and I believe that using that may have contributed to the transmission going. In the next 2-3 years I intend to place nearly $13000 on the car (incl. supercharger).

Great car
By christopher on 07/13/09 11:36 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Great car. Bought this car new, had it about 7 1/2 years; car has never had any major repairs, just regular maint. I have never even had a tune up and it has over 150,000 miles. Gets average 25 miles to a gallon; on highway only about 27. It's been a great car.

Fun to Drive!
By cyntax713 on 07/10/08 19:39 PM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Fun to drive, great on gas (especially the 5 speed), Everyone and I mean Everyone looks. It's a really fun sports car. You will definitely get bang for your buck! Just remember, keep up with maintenance!! Really really important. The engine can take a real beating in these cars, but you have got to do the timing belt and oil changes and you should be fine.

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT
By Chester on 12/10/06 22:37 PM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I just got my 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT this month (Dec. 2006). It's great. Just had a race against my friends Honda Civic 2007 Si. He thought just because he has a V-Tec and that his car is newer then mine he could beat me on the track. Well he thought wrong I BURNT him. While he was on 60 MPH I was already getting up to 80 MPH. I am adding a turbo charge next week. I love Mitsubishi. My next car will be the Lancer Evolution VIII. That's when the real fun starts. I will post another comment up here next week on how is the turbo charger is working.

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
By Reid on 11/11/05 01:11 AM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I been driving my 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS for nearly a year and a half. It has just resently been wrecked and it held up well though the accident, the air bags saved me a lot of pain. This model holds tight to the road and has great control.

Eclipse GS
By branta335 on 12/09/04 01:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse is tight, reliable, fun, easy to drive, has good fuel economy, a great warranty, and reasonable insurance rates. Its air conditioning runs cool, even here in Phoenix, Arizona. I have found that this car handles well in emergency situations.

Mitzubishi Rocks!!!!
By lynzee on 09/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT 2dr Hatchback (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I LOVE my car. I love driving it and turning heads. I love the short shifter and the pick up of this car. I decided that I wanted an Eclipse because I knew that they were dependable. My boyfriend had a 1995 Eclipse which he had for 3 years and loved. He only sold it because he needed a truck for work. When he sold it, it had 180.000 miles on it and never had any problems. Only regular matinence. I have put 20,000 miles on my car in just 7 months. Have had NO problems with it and I love driving it long distance to work and back. Reliable, head turning car, with great gas milage, what more could you ask for?

Eclipse Owner
By Eclipse owner on 06/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my car for almost three years, and until now I have had no problems whatsoever. However, recently I found that there was a problem with the ignition switch that is prevalent in all Eclipses. When it goes bad, the clock, radio, and air conditioning will sometimes not work. If I had not purchased my extended warranty, it would have cost $282 to have fixed. Other than this, I have loved my car.

AIRBAGS????
By Culebrita on 06/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

When I hit a guard rail at 65 MPH head on, no airbags came out. I searched and found out that other people had had the same problem, because even tho the car has airbagsm there were no sensors. Won't buy a mitsubishi again.