Used 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse model:

Luv My Rocket Super Fun...
By tashaluv2

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 2dr Hatchback

We Pd 700 bucks for it 3 years ago & did minor work tires,ect basic stuff & few weeks ago the clutch went so we replaced it a bit of a job but clutch is One Piece but we did it.U find oodles of parts on Net & not expensive & just bought an 05 V6 & I'd rather drive this one w over 150k miles & have 5 cars & I'd rather drive my rocket and Std trans ride is Fun,Fun...

speed,look,

the suspension Isn't good for bumpy roads & it's awful w blind spots & replace headlights was a pain but not too bad bout 30-40 mins. A Shame Mitsubishi Isn't making the Eclipse anymore they hold value & last and is a fun ride.

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse
By dsmbasshead

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car, as a replacement for my 2002 Mercury Cougar C2, and I think the eclipse was, by my standards, definitely an upgrade! First of, the exterior styling. The "2G" eclipse is definitely, the best looking generation IMO. I love the body lines, even the uneven hood. The interior is some what bland, but the curves of the dash and panels keep you entertained, although the interior pattern is ugly. Performance on this, for a 2.0l DOHC L4, is awesome! It beats hondas all day and Ive even run agains a Dodge Ram Hemi and won! Its has its flaws, such as questionable build quality on less important components, but over all its a great car with good fuel economy, thats really fun to drive!

Fuel Economy Body Styling Performance Ease to work on Availablility of parts, OEM and Aftermarket Excellent Support and Fan Base

Door Handles(mine are still fine;]) Do away with the ugly interior pattern More semetrical trunk

Piece of crap
By Cookies Rock

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2dr Hatchback

I hate this car with all my life! As soon as I got it I loved it because it was my dream car but I soon started regretting throughout the years I've had it I had put in over 3 grand in the car it kept on breaking down on me all the time and finally my transmission went out on me and I kept up with my car too so it's over all a piece of crap.

I am not even going to lie It has a nice body on it.

Engine for sure!

Eclipse RS
By Holls

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 2dr Hatchback

This is the first and only car I have ever owned; we've been through a lot together. (It took a few years for me to finally stop scraping the front end, for example.) I was admittedly pretty hard on it the first year or 2, so the work done is even more remarkable considering that. I've had to get a new fuel pump, radiator hose, timing chain, and brake pads. It's still fun to drive although the pick up has declined, and it seems like some piece of plastic falls off the interior all the time. The paint job hasn't proven hardy, either, and rain occasionally leaks through the hatch opening. It's hard for older people to sit down, but once they do it's pretty comfortable.

reliability, body style (I still get compliments!), good gas mileage

stereo lacking, flimsy interior, leaky trunk.

Good car, only for gas mileage
By laukc7085

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 2dr Hatchback

this car has been a pain in my rear since i got it. I am going to school to be an automotive tech and i can tell you that this car breaks a lot and is hard to work on. the engine is crammed under the hood so there is no room to work. I've only had the car for about 2 months now and i really hate it. ive had to replace a belt, had a bearing go bad, i have an oil leak from somewhere, an anti freeze leak, my release bearing in the clutch is going bad, had an electrical short, and just other things that irritate me

great on gas, i get around 28 mpg with a 2.0 L 5 speed manual, looks sporty

turning radius, reliability, more room to work under the hood, more dependable parts, USE METAL TO MAKE THE CAR, NOT ALL PLASTIC