1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Eclipse Spyder model:
Buyers Beware!!!!
By j on 01/30/10 12:30 PM (PST)

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible

I bought this car, thinking it would be a nice reliable ride. Another plus was that I thought it was imported; boy was I wrong. I soon discovered that the top leaked like a river (2 days after purchase), and the transmission shifted erratically. My mechanic said these cars are disasters (engine leaks, failures, etc.); however, I gave it a chance, but before I traded, I knew the tranny was getting ready to explode. I also had a problem maintaining the oil level in the car. I would not recommend this car to anyone who needs a completely reliable vehicle or who doesn't like to take a shower on his/her way to work or school.

Fun to drive but it leaks!
By BucsFan2008 on 08/05/08 14:46 PM (PDT)

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible

This was a great car and it was a lot of fun to drive with the top down. although, I live in Florida and you would think I would have the top down all the time, but I didn't! With the humidity down here, I would need the AC on and with how rain here is so unpredictable, it would leak through the soft top, it was so annoying!

Warning!
By ogospyder on 06/27/08 13:00 PM (PDT)

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible

Try to get parts for this car . Some are made of pot metal, they break and dealers do not have replacements. The car looks nice if you can hold it together without duct tape.

I love it forever
By Sunny,Liu on 06/18/08 02:51 AM (PDT)

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible

This is really good car. Since I was a kid, I fell in love with it. Now I am going to keep this car. This is a classic race car.

Worth every penny
By Tim on 04/09/08 14:33 PM (PDT)

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible

The moment I drove this car I bought it. It has stunning looks and handling, awesome exhaust note and the head turning appeal. Yes my top leaks but a small price to pay for such a exciting car. I have 93,000 on it and all original parts, I have never had a more reliable car. I drive this car every day and it never gets old I recommend this car to anyone who wants a sexy sport convertible that gets great gas mileage.

FUN TO DRIVE!!
By stanz1 on 09/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible

My 99 spyder is awesome!! it's really fun to drive and it gets a LOT of attention!!everytime i go somewhere on a hot day, i always take the long way there!!

what a chick magnet
By Benji345 on 02/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible

this is definetely a chick magnet. Perfect for the college guy who likes to drive a fun car that sounds incredible. Still powerful at four years old- even without the turbo. would have liked to see the all wheel drive stay around for another year, but no complaints here.

I wouldn't pay 5 cents for another Mitis
By Matchbox on 12/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible

This car has been a complete nightmare from the very beginning. It burns about 1-2 quarts of oil between every 3000 mile oil change. The dealership claims this is NORMAL! How many other people do you know who add oil like that? Service has been extremely slow and unproductive and full of excuses. Overall the car is built cheap. I've also had problem with the antenna sticking. The oil problems have resulted in engine issues, ect. I would NEVER buy this car or another Mitisbushi again. I have a friend with the same vehicle and he constantly has problem too.

No other car like it
By Eclipse Man on 10/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible

this car is a blast to own, i had a few issues with the conv. top but the warrenty covered that. In three years I had absolutely no mechanical problems. I have just traded it in on a 03 eclipse GTS and it broke my heart to let this one go. If your thinking of bying a 99 eclipse just make sure you that any modifications were done properly. If you happen to buy a white eclipse with a black top in Denver or it's suburbs tell her I said hi.

Excellent car
By Sonia on 09/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GS 2dr Convertible

This car is hott. Great on gas and on speed. It makes you look twice at it.awesome!!