2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class 5.0L V8 AWD 5-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Love my ML500

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV - Consumer Review

Love my ML500
By jrayer on

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML500 AWD 4dr SUV (5.0L 8cyl 5A)

This is my second V8 ML; I had a 1999 ML430 and this one is considerably improved. The 430 had many quality issues but this one has been solid as a rock. I opted for the Sport package and this V8 haulsthe mail! The handling is quite amazing for a vehicle of this size. The driving position is great; you sit just high enough to get a good view of the traffic ahead. The only negatives are the goofy controls on the radio/navigation system, although you get used to it, and the fact of when these things are out of warranty, they are expensive to fix.

Favorite Features

Excellent performance, cool looks, comfortable and spacious interior, lots of airbags and safety features. Also, the Mercedes V8 exhaust note is wonderful.

Suggested Improvements

The navigation and radio controls are not very good, although this was the first generation navigation system for Mercedes. The fuel economy is brutal; it would be nice if Mercedes could develop a more efficient V8. But if you buy one of these, you probably don't care about the cost of gas.