Whale Tail...
By idrury on
2000 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E320 4dr Wagon
I bought this vehicle with 132K miles on it from a mechanic that had owned it for 5 years. I had it in my possession for a little over a year. The main reason I bought the car was for transporting my road bike. In terms of functionality, it performs admirably, the wagon bodystyle is very good at hauling around the road bike and makes Costco trips a breeze. Performance - The engine power is adequate and the transmission shifts smoothly. Fuel Economy - On the highway you can achieve near 30MPG with cruise control; however, city mileage is near not so pleasant, 12 or 14 MPG. Handling/Ride Quality - Handling is okay and ride quality was a bit floaty.
Favorite Features
Cargo capacity - The wagon is large and performs better than many SUVs for hauling purposes. Tech - I was pleased to find that this 2000 model year had a relatively good navigation system (with traffic) and Bluetooth, pretty high tech for the time. Third row seats - These rear facing seats are GREAT, the owner's manual says persons under 5'3" shouldn't sit back there; however, I have driven guests around that are 5'10" and have been more comfortable than a SUV with three row seating.
Suggested Improvements
Reliability - When I took owenership of the vehicle it was in VERY good condition, but over the first few months small electrical glitches surfaced. The on board computer would say that a bulb was out, but all were functioning. The computer would also say coolant was low, but it wasn't. The vehicle also began to develop an odd thumping sound from the rear suspension that was too intermittent for a proper diagnosis. When I downsized from having both the MB Wagon and Lexus IS, I would have kept the wagon if it weren't for the MPG and the weird electrical issues.