2008 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CL-Class model:
Excellent car, but gremlins live in the cabin
By tcatter on 09/09/13 17:38 PM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class Coupe CL600 2dr Coupe (5.5L 12cyl Turbo 5A)

I've owned this car for approximately 3 years and no one dares to race me, even Porsches. I bought it with 3000 miles on it and it now has a whopping 15,000. I've had creaks in the seat that don't seem to go away and the fat foreman and Beverly Hills MB can't "identify" the problem because when he sits in the passenger seat the sound disappears to his his ass. Another problem are the sensors which buzz and ask to see the user's manual. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR WITHOUT AN EXTENDED WARRANTY. It is an exceptional piece of machinery but not for anyone who pinches pennies.

BEST Benz i've owned so far!
By david j sottini on 08/01/10 18:31 PM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class Coupe CL550 2dr Coupe (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

I have only owned my 2008 black on black cl550 sport for 8 weeks now! Amazing car! I have a lot of experience with Benz brand and with the cl class. I owned and drove a 2003 cl500 sport 51,000 fun filled miles in three years and a 2006 cl500 sport 41,000 glorious miles in only 21 months. I already drove this cl class 2,200 miles. Around town is cool, back roads are a ball and very confident feel, tight handling staying on track perfectly for me. Open highway you feel like you're in a dream. Quiet inside, stable and just gliding along! Acceleration is great for a heavy car. Braking is terrific. The 382 horsepower and 7 speed transmission were made to go together very well. Sporty, comfort and luxury!

Better than a Bentley at half the price
By CaliforniaCL550 on 07/17/10 19:37 PM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class Coupe CL550 2dr Coupe (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

The ultimate luxury car. Seriously, go test drive a Bentley Continental GT then take a ride in this! The fit is superb, the computer system is intuitive, the interior mood lighting at night feels like a sexy club, and the exterior (with AMG package - a must!) is the classiest thing on the road without screaming "look at me!" Unless you're looking for a compact nimble sports car feel, you won't be disappointed.

CL550 Stealth mode Luxury & Performance
By English Euro on 04/28/10 18:53 PM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class Coupe CL550 2dr Coupe (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

I bought my CL550 in like-new condition with 10k miles on it. This is a superb car. It is fun to drive, classy looking, loaded with high tech gadgets but not hard to use. Not obnoxious like driving a Bentley; most people don't know what the CL is which is a good thing. Nightvision is cool but weird to have a TV-like display on the dash while driving. Keyless go is neat, but takes a little getting used to. Car handles and accelerates very well. I have a 2005 911S which I may sell, as the CL seems an adequate replacement. I also have a 2004 S500 4matic which I may keep as my winter car. The phone integration with my Blackberry is excellent.

Dangerous car
By Lewis L on 11/17/09 20:22 PM (PST)

2008 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class Coupe CL600 2dr Coupe (5.5L 12cyl Turbo 5A)

I own a CL600 and recently had a total brake failure. I hit a wall doing about 60mph. No airbag deployment, presafe brake failed, and no warning about the brakes. Mercedes lawyered up and refuses to deal with this. I've had lots of other little problems, but am shocked at how they treat customers buying a flagship model.

overpriced coupe
By mercedes fanatic on 11/10/09 07:07 AM (PST)

2008 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class Coupe CL550 2dr Coupe (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

The CL550 is not a bad car. But it is vastly overpriced. In reality, it is nothing more than a short wheelbase S Class (sold in Europe), with a different body (which look just like the diminutive C Class) The rear seats are a joke as they are hard to access and fit small children only. I later traded up to a 2009 S550 for the added comfort, practicality and ride quality. I found out quickly how much these things depreciate. WOW. 40% in one year. That the CL costs more than the S class is unrealistic. The sedan is actually worth more than the coupe; I've owned both.

Bought it and returned it in 2 days
By Steve on 06/11/09 11:45 AM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class Coupe CL550 2dr Coupe (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

Traded 2001 Porsche 911 Carerra4 convertible in on this.1st mistake was to buy this car,as my past cars,w/o really testing it,even though the dealer offered to let me drive it over the weekend. Mistake 2 was thinking that since Chrysler & Mercedes have now divorced, there would be no longer any residual parts from one division to the other...wrong.Basically it is the quality of the Crossfire. Plastic cheap parts,great engine,shoddy body part fit & overall...basically a glorified Chrysler. I guess if I wanted a Chrysler..I would have bought one. I am in no way trying to bash this car,& feel owning a Mercedes, BMW & Ferrari's in the past,I know cars.Ended up buying a BMW 650i,and love it.

Greatest MB I've ever owned!
By Warren on 03/29/09 16:22 PM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class Coupe CL600 2dr Coupe (5.5L 12cyl Turbo 5A)

The CL600 just blew me away when I test drove it at the dealership! Fit and finish is superb. Handling is excellent. I love how it comes fully loaded with all options. I've owned an SL500, SL55 and a CLS500 before this car. None of those MB cars comes close to how wonderful this car is.

Amazing Car
By DevGroup on 08/11/08 09:52 AM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class Coupe CL550 2dr Coupe (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

Truly the best modern car I've ever owned. The CL550 was my choice after driving it, CL63 and 65 AMG's. I live in the city on the west coast, not near the Autobahn, hence the CL550 was plenty fast for me. Getting to my destination a second faster in an AMG did not seem worth the extra money. I opted for the AMG "Sports Package", the added styling is very nice. The Premium Pack II is a must, as all the gadgets make the car even more fun. The CL550 is a winner all the way around - great looking, powerful, safety, awesome ride, and it's got a stealth low-key look, perfect for those who want quality and performance without having to tell the world you can afford a fairly pricey car...

Amazing car, lots of fun to drive
By Ranjeet Sodhi on 05/02/08 06:18 AM (PDT)

2008 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class Coupe CL550 2dr Coupe (5.5L 8cyl 7A)

Managed to convince the lady that we wanted this car. All her initial resistance disappeared post the test drive at the dealership. The car feels like a tank - a very very light footed tank. The build quality is miles ahead of all its competition (BMW, Infinity, Lexus etc). The ride quality is amazing; feels like you are riding on a cushion of air - not a sports car like rough feel. That said, its no slouch... it easily overtook a BMW 6 series that was trying to race. Braking is the part that needs to be highlighted - the brakes on this car are amazing, stops very quickly without lurching all the passengers out of the windshield. if you have the dough, this car will satisfy fully.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Mercedes-Benz CL-Class Coupe in VA is:

$155 per month*