1993 Mazda RX-7 - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.3L Twin-turbo 5-speed Manual - (32 reviews )
An Unforgettable Car
By carenthusiast7 on 04/04/11 23:39 PM (PDT)

1993 Mazda RX-7 Turbo 2dr Coupe

A true sports car and definitely good as a weekend driver. My father let me drive his Porsche 944 (not biased but it was a great car!) but when his brother bought his RX-7(FD3S) and I took it for a spin, it is definitely a car you will never forget. It was faster and handling was amazing due to the 50/50 weight split. There are many people who state reliability issues, but this car was meant to be treated like part of you with maintainence almost instinct(uncle's FD lasted for roughly 11 years before he did some major fixing, 4k engine rebuild, then sold it).

Japanese Ferrari
By 65tosspowertrap on 12/19/09 13:35 PM (PST)

1993 Mazda RX-7 Turbo 2dr Coupe

A no-compromise sports car. Rough, noisy ride; cramped interior. Not good on long trips. Scary on wet pavement. 17 mpg. Not a practical every-day car. Find a mechanic qualified to work on the extremely complex engine; I found one at a specialty "tuner" shop. First engine died at 86,000 miles (typical); $5,000 to replace. Make sure you find out engine mileage; engine runs hot and slowly cooks itself to death. Japanese Ferrari in terms of performance and maintenance cost. Expect to pay $100/hr for maintenance. $35,000 maintenance cost over 16 years. I love this car. I will never, ever sell it.

A Drivers Car
By C-Raz on 04/07/09 10:16 AM (PDT)

1993 Mazda RX-7 Turbo 2dr Coupe

Great car. If you get one, make sure you do all the reliability mods at the least. Do more if you want more like me! =D It's a blast to drive and always gets attention. I've had someone take pictures of my car while i was driving on the highway. Like I said, it's a great car and if you are an enthusiast that likes to wrench and knows how to maintain the vehicle then you shouldn't have a problem.

open track performance
By sporty cars owner on 03/18/09 12:29 PM (PDT)

1993 Mazda RX-7 Turbo 2dr Coupe

My rx-7 is stock but has cold air intake quiet muffler. I had a full 3"exhaust w no cats last time I went to the track 6year old tires. Boost is 11psi. This car could lap faster than the LT-1 93,94 ZR-1 (Slightly modded to 440HP according to the owner), 5.0 mustang. The gearing in 3rd allows about 110mi/hr and I had to hit 4th on the top end of the track at Holtville. I could carry more speed coming out to the straight than all other street cars. The ZR-1 could pull slightly more during exit but I was even on the top end and I could delay braking and would shoot by at the end into the sharp turn after the straight. Braking at 115mph and handling easly makes up a tenth 0- 60 accel.

Get One if You Can
By smoothmoses on 07/31/08 14:27 PM (PDT)

1993 Mazda RX-7 Turbo 2dr Coupe

I've had my 93 RX7 for 14 years now and agree with the others, I still get excited just looking at it. Other than replacing my engine with a JSpec 2 years ago, I've had nothing but fun and good luck with my baby. Young guys stand in awe of the car everywhere I go and it still turns heads when I drive it. Get one if you can and you'll see what all the hype is about. Thank you Mazda for building the best car ever!

RX-7 is great
By yasser on 02/26/08 04:16 AM (PST)

1993 Mazda RX-7 Turbo 2dr Coupe

Bought this car fully built with single turbo and other mods and I love it 480whp at 17psi, it's great. The feel of the car pulling is amazing. The car is firm on the road and is a blast to drive.

RX-7!
By ryno on 08/12/07 11:06 AM (PDT)

1993 Mazda RX-7 Turbo 2dr Coupe

These cars are simply amazing, way ahead of their time. This car is very reliable! If you take care of it like you should it will last you a while! Do your research on this car to get to know it. They need more attention than regular cars, if you follow them you won't have any problems. I drive a 400hp RX-7 on a stock motor running 14 lbs. Brakes/handling are simply amazing! They are gas guzzlers, mine gets 10 in the city but it's always better to run a little rich on rotaries! Would not buy it if you don't know these cars! You need to use a rotary specialty shop.

The RX-7 is a great car.
By midday88 on 02/04/07 21:09 PM (PST)

1993 Mazda RX-7 Turbo 2dr Coupe

I've had a great experience with the car so far. It's extremely fast, handles great, stops quick, and kicks the pants off all those V8s out there.

Fun, beautiful car, poor reliability
By LB404 on 09/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Mazda RX-7 Turbo 2dr Coupe

Great looking car, with awesome performance. Today's new cars are tough to match. Yet, horrible reliability. I owned 3 RX7's total. All needed $1000's in repairs, despite being babied and cared for. New engines, seals, turbos, cheap plastic, over heating, harsh ride, hesitations.

RX7
By Jason432 on 04/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1993 Mazda RX-7 Turbo 2dr Coupe

I have loved this car from the day that I bought it....