Used 2002 Mazda Protege Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

Best buy!
By Linny

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I wouldn't buy any other car. Mazda is the greatest car for the money, very reliable and smooth ride with a kick.

Favorite Features

Smooth handling and comfortable seating. It just glides on the highway. Glad to see the green courtesy light is back over the ignition.

Suggested Improvements

Incoming air switch should be an optional movement again like it used to be. Right now when you have the switch on window defogger, you have no choice but to smell the fumes from the vehicle in front of you. Heaven forbid it should be a bus.

overall, a great bang for the buck!
By MazdaProtege1

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for a year and a half and have absolutely fell in love with it. The ride is quiet and smooth and the placement of eveything is wonderful. It's so fun to drive down the road, especially with the wonderful stereo system and the comfortable seats. And the best part about it is that it's like riding in a Lexus, but for thousands less than a Honda. Honda's are cheaper, in my opinion, and have horrible styling. This car offers style, comfort, affordablitiy, and dependability.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the styling and the stereo. Also, i like the small touches of silver-chrome on the inside.

Suggested Improvements

I think that the newer 2004 Mazda 3's are getting to be too much like a Chrysler in styling, they should stick with the old style.

Few minor problems BUT still love car!!
By Sherry2004

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car but I have had a few mishaps. First, two Dunlop tires were damaged after a mishap with a curb and not too hard of a hit. The tire walls were damaged after 9 months of owning the car. No warranty on the tires and Dunlop would not consider the tires to be defective. A small part broke on the cars heating fan, CD has started to skip but was covered under warranty. The service at the dealership has been impeccable.

Favorite Features

Interior is great, comfortable seats, great visibility, layout of dashboard is perfect for my short stature and arms, drive left handed and have plenty of room between door and arm/elbow.

Suggested Improvements

Power baby!!! Needs more power and that's it!! Oh and maybe a more powerful factory stereo.

Needs more ZOOM ZOOM!!!!!
By mazda02

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my mazda in 2003 i have had it for a little over 7 mths i got it with 16000 miles on it now it has 33500 miles i drive a lot. beacuse i drive so much i needed something that gets good gas i get about 25mpg which is much better than i got in my toyota tacoma although i miss hitting the mud puddles and off roading i like the lil mazda

Favorite Features

I like the look of it mine is a metalic black and when its clean it really looks good i think it kinda looks like a lexus call me crazy but it kinda does.

Suggested Improvements

Like everyone says MORE POWER more and more cars now have turbos like the EVO and the new neon and the WRX. i am not sure if when i got the car it had the stock tires on it but the tires were really loud kinda like swampers for big trucks (hummmm down the road really loud)

Fun car - needs more power
By Dan Charlebois

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2002 Protoge in October of 2002 and it now has 11500 miles on it. The handling of the car is more than I could have expected. The car has very precise steering (perhaps a bit of oversteer) and the suspension is tighter than most in its class. This makes cornering quite fun, especially with the 195/50 R16 Dunlap tires. Living in Syracuse I had to buy a set of Blizzak's to get anywhere. The Dunlap's were useless in snow. If I had a problem with the car it would be that it lacks power. The engine doesn't get into its power band until around 4000 rpm. I highly recommend the 5 speed to get full enjoyment of the engine.

Favorite Features

Interior design of the car is really great. The ES package makes for a sporty economy car. Handling of the car is great. The 4 wheel disk breaks are very responsive and the suspension is quite sporty.

Suggested Improvements

Even though it is an improvement from the 1.6 liter engine from 2001, the engine still lacks low rpm power. It seems sluggish until you get over 4000 rpm. An engine with more horsepower would be great.