2002 Mazda Protege Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
MOST UNDERAPRECIATED SMALL SEDAN
By Unknown on 07/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 2nd pro ES 5 speed other was a 2000 which was totalled or i'd still be driving it for another 5 years!!!Very tight and well built car! Get one with ES premium pge and the MID CYLCLE REFRESH which is the one with restyled rims and side blinkers along with a few interior tweaks. I drove the civic(too boring)-Focus (too many recalls)and ElantraGT(???) and went back to the protege ES because it feels more solid and doesnt make you feel like your in a small economy sedan

Nice
By fred34rfgt on 06/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Very nice car. Outstanding on everything. Very reliable...no problems for almost 2 yrs now. Wish it had a sixth gear!

I Recommend the 5sp Man DX
By marty on 05/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Got this car for $12K after factory rebate and negociations(A/C and CD included). Fun to drive. Good fuel economy. Makes my wifes 97 Altima seem sluggish. Brakes are very good. Handling is very good and gives a real sense of confidence. Takes a few weeks to become accustom to the stiff shocks. Seats are comfortable but seem to be of cheap build quality. Mazda appears to have great customer support.

I Recommend the 5sp Man DX
By Marty on 05/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

What a Surprise
By rollsofjoy on 05/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned this car for 2 and 1/2 years. I haven't had any problems expect for a disfuntional drive door lock, but the dealer replaced under warranty. This car is really fun to drive. It handles really well on the rood. And the ride is really good for a small car. I drive to school and back 500 miles and I'm in complete comfort. I also find the seats supportive and I've had back surgery so that really a plus. I love the options on this car... it is what sold me over the Civic.

A perfect 10, and Car and Driver Agrees
By Frankpcb on 05/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My car is a fully loaded 5 speed with all the options in sunlight silver metallic. This is the best looking compact car on the market, and the only one still made in Japan, so the quality and relabilty is first rate. Handles like a go cart, fast direct steering, great peformance tires and suspension tuning, comfortable seats, great gauges and interior lighting in red. Car is very quiet at speed, you can barely hear the engine idle. Fit and finish are excellent and very up market for a car in this price range, much nicer inside (ex version) than civic, corrola, elantra, lancer, focus etc, I drove them all.

Great Small Car
By JimB on 05/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted a reliable and economical small car that looked good and performed well. After extensive research and several test drives, I bought the Protégé. The Protégé LX does not disappoint. At $13,499 after rebates, I doubt there is a better new car in this price range. It has ABS, CD, alarm system, alloy wheels, and all the standard LX features. I'm very happy with its styling and performance, particularly its handling. It's great fun to drive. If it lives up to its reputation for long term reliability I will be very happy.

Big bang for the buck
By zoomer on 05/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It's a perfect ten for the price i paid for.

a solid good car
By diad on 05/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

i drove both 02 honda civic lx & 02 mazda protege dx, i like protege better. it's quieter, better stereo, better noise control, richer feeling for the interior. if u want to campare & complain, plz use apple to apple not ur dream car. bottom line, u get more than what u pay

Strong and Sexy
By Dave Yeboah on 05/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I researhed extensively before I settled on this car. I rented Hondas, Toyotas, and Saturns just to compare to the the Mazda PROTEGE ES. I bought the MAZDA PROTEGE ES automatic with all the trimmings. There is no greater feel when everyone looks at your car at the traffic light before you ZOOM ZOOM away. When you drive the MAZDA ES, it causes jealousy among other drivers. Therefore, I urge all new MAZDA PROTEGE ES owners to be humble on the roadway. THE ES exudes strength and sexiness. This car comes HIGHLY recommended. I recommend you look in a Thesaurus for the word MAZDA. My Thesaurus has the words- MOST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK