2002 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
Hard To Let her Go
By happygirl on 07/17/10 15:36 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

November 2002, I purchased my 2002 Mazda Protege. I have had no problems. She stands at 86,700 miles. Interior great still looks like new. I love my car and it is the 2nd one I have purchased. I used to own a 1998 Mazda Protege manual drove her to 134,000 miles without changing the gear shift. June 2010, I was rear ended on the highway while my car was in motion. She ended up with 1,160 dollar worth of damage and still drives great. It is a bit nerve racking as the new cars seem to have lots of electrical problems. I thought about buying a new Mazda but a bit nervous with all the electrics. Cars are not made the way they use to be. So do I hold on to my baby?

Excellent Used Car
By Jeff on 10/23/09 21:57 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this for my son. Have basically taken it over myself! Great car. Rides great, gets pretty good mileage and is really comfortable. Would recommend for anyone looking for reliable, quality used car. Better than my old civic!

High quality, low price
By Colleen on 08/25/09 16:50 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a reliable car! I've had this car for 7 years and have put 120,000 miles on it and I've never needed to get any repairs done. If you look at this car, there's nothing about it that would make you say "wow that's cool!" but it's reliable, spacious, handles well, comfortable, efficient, affordable, has good mpg, and when a friend spilled a slurpee on my fabric seats I discovered that they're stain resistant. A S2000 owner drove my car once and said "wow this little car handles well!"

excellent car
By joel on 06/17/08 09:24 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. Got it used but have had no problems with it. It has dual overhead cams which means a more powerful than average engine. Car handles very well and has enough power even with a full load of passengers and a full trunk. Get about 23 mpg in the city and about 29 mpg highway which isn't bad for a 2 liter engine.

Flawless
By Viener Vanker on 10/25/07 12:37 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new. No problems whatsoever. At 72,000 miles, still on original brakes. They never wear out.

2002 Protege DX
By Siege on 08/28/05 16:23 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a used black 2002 Mazda Protege DX last year. It was a very good price, and had low miles. I must say that this car is wonderful in many ways. Not only is it a great looking car on both the outside and inside, but it's also got a little zip to it. Air conditioning works great, and the bass is nice when turning up the music. I found the performance very good for this type of car, and I enjoy speeding off when the light turns green. Granted this is no sports car and it won't win races, but the reliability and fuel economy, on top of being a great car overall wins me over.

02 Protege
By jetskier111 on 10/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Been a great, fun and reliable car. I really enjoy the look of the exterior and the interior has done extremely well. It runs solid and true, may not be the fastest out there, but then again that wasnt its goal! If your looking for something that isnt a driving appliance- has reliability and is safe, check this one out.

Transmission is great
By Agly on 05/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have a DX with a stick. It's better than 5sp on first generation Legacy, but worse than that on Civics. Seats are as good as those on Subaru and are WAY better than seats on Civics. Lateral support is okay.

never buy mazda
By kipp on 05/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

two starters one alternator and still no fix for running rough. the vehicle has lost it's value quicker than anything i have ever owned. it's trade in value after one year of ownership has been cut in half. i would never buy another mazda.

Quick Study
By markbt73 on 09/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Zoom-Zoom, indeed. I've only had it for a month, and I love it already. The new car smell is gone, it's badly in need of a wash, due for an oil change, and what I'm left with is an all-around terrific car. It just does everything well, whatever I want it to do, whenever I want to do it. I'm glad they decided to use the 2 liter engine in all models this year; it makes my humble DX as quick and fun as the more expensive versions. Mine is a 5-speed, which I recommend. Seating and visibility are great, ride is a bit stiff, but boy, does it handle.