Used 2002 Mazda Protege Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mazda Protege - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:

This self biodegradable rust
By monsieurmarc1

2002 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This self biodegradable rust and so we do not see the rust when it is too late, it's awful, if you see surfaces with rosettes loan goest indicating the rear wheels of rust, the outline of wheels it is too later. One year after the car is good for parts, water ready driver's foot hole in the floor and in the trunk, too rusty to be repaired and this morning the windshield broke the rusty structure was break the fast, the car is good for parts, total loss caused by rust, the vehicle design is the cause it destroys itself, can resist the normal duration of a vehicle in a Canadian winter , calcium and abrasive on the roads

Passed down to me.
By devin994

2002 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

For the small amount of time that I've owned this car, it's absolutely fantastic! However, this car has been in our family ever since 2002. It has an automatic transmission and everything in the car is going strong even after 190,000 miles! This car has battled through many trips from New York to Florida and the only problem during all of those trips was that the driver's side window ceased to function. It was promptly fixed and works as good as new! The story on this car is that my parents had bought this vehicle new the year this came out. This car has mostly highway miles. 3 days a week, it travels 140 into the city and back home for the past 9 years. Never has it broken down!

I love the way this car accelerates and handles. The modest 2.0 engine the Protege uses is a real champion! The low profile tires are a tad costly, but they look really good with the sporty style of the vehicle. Room and comfort in the front two bucket seats are great!

In 2005, the radio one day just refused to work. The LCD panel wasn't working, and the volume controls just had a mind of it's own. Fortunately we had the radio replaced with a Sony X-Plod system and that unit brought out the true sound of the stock Mazda sound System. So perhaps a better head unit would be my only complaint about the Protege.

165K trouble free miles
By Ray

2002 Mazda Protege ES 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I can't say enough good things about this car. I'm still on the original clutch and original water pump. Just change the oil every 3,750 miles and perform the major service every 30K miles. Amazing car.

Reliability, Interior, ABS & Side Airbags (Option on the ES)

I love my little Mazda
By Margo

2002 Mazda Protege LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased new back in 2002, never had any issues. Love this little car. Made trips to Canada, back and forth from Maine to NY. Very reliable car. I am proud owner of my little Mazda, 9.1 reviews way to go! Engine running is very quiet like 8 years back! Transmission shifts, everything in order except my air cond was never strong, but I can forgive that! My daughter is driving it now while in a college and she loves it as well.

Better CD player and clock on the front panel.

Hard To Let her Go
By happygirl

2002 Mazda Protege DX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

November 2002, I purchased my 2002 Mazda Protege. I have had no problems. She stands at 86,700 miles. Interior great still looks like new. I love my car and it is the 2nd one I have purchased. I used to own a 1998 Mazda Protege manual drove her to 134,000 miles without changing the gear shift. June 2010, I was rear ended on the highway while my car was in motion. She ended up with 1,160 dollar worth of damage and still drives great. It is a bit nerve racking as the new cars seem to have lots of electrical problems. I thought about buying a new Mazda but a bit nervous with all the electrics. Cars are not made the way they use to be. So do I hold on to my baby?

Everything

NONE, they need to make cars today less complicated and able to fix problems. Cars are for transportation we are not flying a 747 with movies to watch.