2001 Mazda Protege Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
Gets ahead, stays ahead
By Daro on 04/15/07 19:55 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan MP3 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Have you ever taken the curves on Lower Wacker Drive or on Lake Shore Drive in Chicago? Have you ever tried to enter a busy metropolitan expressway at the speed of traffic - say, 75 mph before the end of the entrance ramp? This car does it. It adheres tightly to curves and accelerates smartly into traffic. Great gas mileage, strong performance, enduring reliability, roomy interior, and distinctive looks combine to make the MP3, all at once, both affordable basic transportation and a pleasurable driving experience.

Improvement was needed on the MP3
By Sphantomk on 12/07/05 22:27 PM (PST)

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan MP3 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. I wanted one from the day it came out on the lot. After I got one though I had to admit that everyone was right. It needed more power. So I got my hands on a 2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege that was wrecked by a rear end collision with only 1k miles on the car. Took the full turbo kit and put it on my MP3. The MP3 now has just over 200 horsepower at the wheels. The car is now perfect!

Great car...
By StuttersC on 10/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan MP3 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new. I haven't had any issues with the car. Mazda made a good move in bringing this car to the market which opened the door to the Mazdaspeed brand in the US. The chasis is stiff and can handle just about anything you throw at it.

Sportiest Car under 12k
By Mp3 lover on 04/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan MP3 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Hands down, best handling compact. Macapherson struts all around, shock absorbers, 1.5 inches lower than stock. This baby obeys all cornering comands with out question.

By kurtb34 on 04/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan MP3 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love it, it's fun to drive and dependable (so far). Only one minor problem. Great online support community, too.

asdf
By big_ben on 01/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan MP3 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is one of the greatest buys you can get. This car is a blast to drive.

MP3
By philjessiann on 12/10/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan MP3 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my MP3. I handles as well or better than any car that I have drive including corvette, camaro, prelude, integra type R. It it is definately sufficient in power but could use more. Biggest drawback is that it has no cruise! But all in all you can't beat the sound system, reliability, handling and fun to drive factor.

This MP3 is serious about having fun.
By 01hzmp3 on 07/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan MP3 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Had suspension bushing squeaking noise few months after I purchased this MP3 model. Dealership fixed/replaced both front/rear bushings under warranty. Seems like no problem, but I will have to make sure of that come this winter since this noise only occurs under cool temperature. GREAT handling, I love to drive this car even if I have no reason to go anywhere. The stereo system is a BLAST to listen to, it doesn't thump hardcore bass... it thumps just enough to get you all pumped up for hours on end. Turns a lot of heads on the road. Like a Miata, this car is just a pleasure to drive around in.

Zoom Zoom
By Mine 00 on 06/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan MP3 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Well I have recently purchased the Mazda ES GT [in Canada] which with out a doubt the best econosport vehicle that I have driven. I tried the Nissan Sentra, Honda Civic [Coupe], Acura Integra and others in its class but non compare in price and feel. The ES GT is the invigerates the soul and sooths the spirit. This car in my books is in a class of its own.

"Cheapest Super Car"
By PY on 04/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda Protege Sedan MP3 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Trying to push this car to it's limit but seem like this car have no limit. The MP3 body is good enough to handle a 300 hp or up engine.