1995 Mazda Protege Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Protege model:
Worst Car I've Ever Had
By cardriver247 on 06/10/12 10:32 AM (PDT)

1995 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I've had this car since last December and it gives me trouble every day. I've already had to replace my fuel injector, spark plugs, and other things. right now it's lagging and takes forever to build up speed. I wish i never got this car.

Gets me through
By ashman on 07/30/10 15:04 PM (PDT)

1995 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

Recently purchased from original owner. Always garaged and in excellent shape inside and out. 1995 car with 11,200 actual miles. My mechanic can not believe the condition. The condition is new and ready to go. My boy should get through his last two years and all of college with this ride, and only them have maybe 60k miles. We'll see how reliable this old new car turns to be. Not bad for $3k a worthwhile gamble cheers.

Great Car
By Mazda on 05/25/10 11:42 AM (PDT)

1995 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought a 95 Mazda DX with 118,000 miles and have driven it every day. I had the timing belt, water pump, and belts changed. I also had a new clutch installed. It now has 184,000 miles and drives great. The only thing I have changed is the oil and antifreeze. The mileage is great. I get about 34-36 mpg. If you want a fast car this is not the car for you. It's painfully slow at times, the cup holders and stereo are to close together, and its kinda loud inside. I'm on my 3rd rear defrost button, but its easy to fix. I have the 5 speed, just wished it had a 6 speed.

Well Done
By tela0001 on 08/09/09 17:46 PM (PDT)

1995 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Car served us very well. In 12 years of ownership we have had VERY few problems.

Best car I've owned
By PrtotegeLove on 07/19/09 23:35 PM (PDT)

1995 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this Penelope with 87000 miles on her. She was a manual and had a good deal of power for build. I raced a camaro on the interstate and won! Penelope also saved my life when I a woman ran a stop sign and flipped me; she turned upright about 5 minutes after I flipped. Best car I've ever owned!

Wish they made more like them
By Jeremy on 07/14/09 23:38 PM (PDT)

1995 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my Protege in preparation for going back to college for $3,500 with 117k on it. It's a 5 speed with a 1.5 liter. I use it for everything short of what I would need a truck for. It has plenty of room for 4-5 people and great trunk space. More than two years later, it has 156k and still going strong. Aside from basic maintenance, it has only needed a new timing belt (water pump done at same time to save $$), thermostat and tires, all wear and tear items. Although not absolutely necessary, I also replaced the struts (another wear and tear item) since I plan to drive this one until it dies, which will probably be a long time.

Excellent Protege
By marinejrm on 02/23/08 13:19 PM (PST)

1995 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Picked up an immaculate little 1995 Protege LX with 131,000 on the odometer. Did the best tune up I could without tearing it apart. Plugs, wires, oil, oil filter, PCV Valve, Fuel Filter and Sea Foamed the crap out of the engine. The thing runs like a brand new car and doesnt leak or burn a drop of oil. For an economical get around car I would put it in the same catagory as a civic or corolla and they are available at a substantially lower price.

My Old Blue
By 1995 Mazda Protege on 02/18/08 05:34 AM (PST)

1995 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

After a first month of major shaking off of dust and investing over $700 in new parts, the little car perked right up, except for occasional lapses of electrical connections, like windshield wipers. It seems to drive better and better with time, besting the big boys that keep broadsiding it. Truly, the "little engine that could." Already had 126,186 when I purchased it several months ago, and I have the feeling it's just getting started. In fact, I watched six mechanics' eyes light up once they got behind the wheel themselves. I love my little car; it makes me love driving, even in crazy traffic. Its small size is a plus for maneuvering, too. Forget "first car"--this is a keeper.

Best car I've ever owned
By Dutch on 12/01/07 19:57 PM (PST)

1995 Mazda Protege Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Purchased this car new in 1995. Chose it over Honda and Toyota because of superior interior room. I'm 6'3" and fit well in back seat, plenty of headroom. Very refined driver for size, although the ride can be less than cushy on rough roads. Precise steering, excellent brakes. Acceleration is adequate, but I choose fuel economy over power. Mine is a 5 speed, the 1.5l engine with automatic would probably be on the sluggish side. Excellent build quality, very few repairs. Trouble-free car. Plan to keep it a few more years. Rust is starting around rear wheelwells, but car still looks and runs like new. I check fuel economy with every tank, this car consistently averages 32-34 mpg.

Hate It
By HATE IT on 09/02/07 05:54 AM (PDT)

1995 Mazda Protege Sedan DX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car 2 yrs old with 30K miles on it. I've had it 10yrs - replaced the exhaust system SIX times, cloth seats have ripped apart from the leather backing, brakes cylinders fail inspection every yr, oil a pain to change, cv joints have been replaced 3 times. The headlights are very dim - even when newly replaced. Just a pain and I can't wait to get rid of it and the headaches!!