Used 1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Mazda Mx-5-miata - Consumer Reviews

1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

Fantastic car that is very fun to drive.
By face60

1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

I purchased my 91 Miata MX5 a year ago with 89,000 miles on it. My intentions where to restore the car within a reasonable budget and this has been accomplished. I had new front custom bumper added with new driver side fender, and trim mold plate in the rear replaced. I also had new timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, spark plug wires, front and rear axle, cv joints, upper and lower bearings replaced, radiator flushed, and painted As well as a new canvas soft top, Bluetooth radio, new seats and interior trim replaced. My total with the purchase of the vehicle came to $3,800 give or take a few dollars. The car is now mechanically and aesthetically sound for a very reasonable amount.

Favorite Features

Replacement parts are plentiful and very reasonably priced. Highly recommend getting one piece top with glass as to make easier to put down and raise up the top. Driving and handling are spectacular in this car. There are no curves deep enough. The car zips along but does not have a tremendous amount of horsepower but it does not matter because the drive is an awesome experience. Love this car and plan to keep until it dies.

Suggested Improvements

This car needs no improvements. It is a true roadster as a roadster should be. It is not loaded with a lot of frills such as power windows, locks, mirros, seat and so on, but it packs a lot of thrills in handling and driving. Just the basics in this car a/c, manual everything (a true roadster).

After owning it for 20 years, still a great car!
By wmshub

1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

In 1991, fresh out of college, I bought a Miata. I figured that I may be married with kids when I buy my next car, so this was my one chance to buy an impractical sportscar. I test drove a bunch, the Miata wasn't the fastest but it was easily the most fun to drive, so that was that. It's been a great car! Not only has it been a lot of fun, with great handling and a peppy feel, but it's been incredibly reliable. Other than regular maintenance, the only problem has been a replacement of the clutch cylinders. Now here I am, 20 years later, this is still the only car I've ever owned and it's running strong.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, reliable, good mileage.

Nice Sport Car!
By Angelo

1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

Bought this Miata with 72k miles to drive around instead of my gas guzzling truck. Wow, this little car is fun! Great performer, solid, almost bullet proof. I did so minor stuff like changing the tires, changing the original shocks, a new valve cover gasket and a new rubber boot for the shifter. These were all normal maintenance items and I have to say that the car runs like new. I previously owned a 2004 Honda S2000 and that was one nice roadster. This Miata does not fall too behind the S2000 and it only cost me $4.000. What a deal, it is so much fun, I am keeping it!

Favorite Features

Handling, quality, gas mileage, fun factor.

Money well spent So much Fun to Drive!
By Sean

1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata 2dr Convertible

Now I know why the other reviews were so high. I just bought a 91 Miata 2 weeks ago It was in perfect condition It has 81k miles average of about 5500 miles per year. I paid $3800. It is so fun to drive and handles great. Just like driving a go-cart. The inside and outside of the car looks new. It had new tires and rims put on. The timing belts done. New top with glass window. Momo steering wheel. Short shifter. I plan on keeping this car for awhile. I constantly want to drive somewhere. My last car was a Benz C220 and I don't miss it at all.

Favorite Features

The way it drives, handles the road, MPG, the look.

Suggested Improvements

I wouldn't mind a little more speed. But what it has is just fine.

Love of my Life :o))
By Becca

1991 Mazda MX-5 Miata Special 2dr Convertible

Hubby presented this little hummer to me 16 years ago and I have loved it ever since. I am always getting praise and nice comments from people everywhere I go. It costs $7 to fill it up and I can go almost forever...whoooee! I had to buy some Beach Boy CD's when I first got it because no rock 'n roll music was capable of expressing or understanding my feelings when I "gaaazoom" down the highway with my hair blowing about wildly. It's a very dependable car and amazingly gutsy. With 26,800 miles on it, the most I have needed on it was oil changes, tire rotated, new tires, lubes, and antifreeze system cleanout. This is one of my greatest cars-too bad we have so many icy roads where we live.

Favorite Features

Loud hum--gaaazoom the engine makes. Short wheelbase and excellent handling. I understand the newer Miata's are even better...WOW.

Suggested Improvements

Make the drivers seat more adjustable for the shorter-legged driver. Upgrade the speakers as a standard feature. After all, how well can we hear the Beach Boys with the standard in seatback speakers? Offer all models with leather seats and stop using the cloths seats altogether.