2009 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mazda3 model:
My Mazda 3 Experience
By lbb4 on 09/10/13 16:22 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned a Mazda 3 for 2 years now. I can't complain much because it has been a reliable car. It is definitely NOT a family car but when we bought it we jumped quick because our other car was dying. The air conditioner is very sub-par, heat is good. Drives good, Interior is made fairly cheap as we have had several things break. Overall good car-I would recommend this car for a single person or a couple with no kids.

Poor gas mileage
By mmmm1982 on 05/01/12 11:40 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've had this car for almost 2 years and haven't had any major issues so far. All the maintenance is done regularly, but the car still gets only 24-25 MPG in the mixed cycle. I guess all of Mazda3 have this issue with the power steering pump, which I had to replace under recall. Interior looks kinda cheap.

Love My 3
By dark_temp on 04/15/12 17:33 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan i Touring Value 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 3 last summer at 13k miles and have loved it since. it handles very well even at over 100+ mph, with previous racing experience and looking for a practical college car I found my baby. attractive enough to get compliments from others and with the 2.0 I, engine speeds up considerately enough to drive on the freeway with confidence (better torque and pick up with the 2.3 engines though, take note to that!). I often forget im going 90 because i dont even notice!?, cabin is quiet without its oem wheels and very stable driving. snow was no problem and neither hills. still loving my car looks cool but not overbearing.

Piece OF CRAP
By ilya1313 on 09/08/11 17:50 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Sorry to say i made the biggest mistake of my life buying this pice of crap. It had 13 miles when i bought it, now its at 42k and this is what i had to fix.... tires were fully bald and chap after a year... power steering pump blew up on me not once but twice... brakes were shacking the steering wheel so i had to fix the roters then they pully blew up and i had to replace the whole brake system.... hydraulic motor mount blew up and spilled oil eveywhere... and now to the good part... brakes need full replacement again and brake flush... rear strut is going out .... so ya Mazda should be ashamed to make this car ... biggest regret of my life ... i should have bought impreza...

Pretty Average
By scottksu on 07/31/11 10:37 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan i Touring Value 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Car looks great and handles well, but... The 2.0, 4 cylinder is low on power. I expected a bit more zip for a small car with almost 150 HP. Gas mileage below avg. for a car this size. Only get a few mpg more than my Toyota Camry V-6. Handles great, but ride suffers. If you like to feel every bump in the road, you will love this car. Replacing the OEM tires helps, especially with road noise. Interior design is nice, but materials are of average quality, which I expect for a car in this category. Developed a few noises & small intermittent rattles not long after purchase. Some I remedied, the dealer fixed one, some remain. A/C is weak & must keep on high during days over 90'

Low quality Mazda
By needquality on 07/10/11 13:57 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan i Sport 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I made the mistake and believed Edmunds when they talked up the Mazda3. I bought a 2009 Mazda3 with 10K miles. I am very sorry I did. The car is covered with very low quality materials. Some examples... The carpet and upholstery are of the lowest quality I have ever seen. The body panels are like aluminum foil. You do not want to lean on your car. The trunk latch is all plastic. The huge irritant I have now is the driver's seat. It squeaks horribly whenever I adjust my position even a little bit. Dealer can't fix and Mazda refuses to replace seat. I am looking for a after-market replacement. Do not buy any Mazda if you care about quality. Thanks, Edmunds, for nothing.

Great Bang for the Buck
By RonW on 11/28/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan i Touring Value 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

While I'm a big Honda fan, I've also owned three Mazda and couldn't pass up an end of year deal on my 3. Great exterior styling, this car looks like more money. Handling is a bit stiff but also responsive. Smooth engine but get the manual transmission for the 2.0 engine. While mileage could be better, I can't complain. Just came back from a 500 mile trip to FL with no problems. The instruments and ergonomics are quite good on the Mazda 3. Only niggles I have are the poor OEM/Goodyear tires, minimal grip and lots of noise. Gas mileage could be better and build quality a touch below Honda. But still an amazing deal for the price, I paid under $16K brand new...

Just a 3
By Steve on 07/22/10 12:26 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan i Touring Value 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Edmunds pushed me to buy a Mazda 3. I had intended to buy a Civic to use as a commuter car. Honestly, the car is what Edmunds said it was but it is still somewhat disappointing overall. Basically, the Mazda 3 lacks the zoom- zoom promised by Mazda. This is just a commuter car with poor fuel mileage. There are some nice aspects however such as attractive interior and exterior styling. But overall it is not worth the money. It's just a Mazda 3 after all.

Clear headed
By JIBMRJ4W on 06/30/10 11:40 AM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan s Sport 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

This car drove nicely on flat normal freeways. Decent mileage. When driving back from Lake Tahoe on I 80, we experienced an unusual problem. The force exerted by this car, when going down hill on I 80, at or > 60 mph, was quite strong when turning toward the right, ~ 20 to 35 degrees. It felt as though you were going to be pushed out the door of the car. I slowed down and the sensation went away. Thereafter I drove this car at ~ 55 mph when going down hill from Tahoe Our agent said there was no accident with this car, therefore it suggest a stabilizer type problem for this car.

Made of Win
By shawn on 06/28/10 18:07 PM (PDT)

2009 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan s Sport 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Love my car, it is a beast, so glad I got the manual trans though, without it I could imagine this machine being a little sluggish for my tastes. I wanted a car I would enjoy for many years to come and I think I have it. Excellent gas mileage, even considering how I drive it at times, got 39 recently, mix of highway and back roads, and I tend to drive fast, needless to say, impressed with the zoom zoom. This car is a flat out awesome for its price, and has a lot of potential and I just got the base line model!

1 2 3 4 5 next »

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Mazda Mazda3 Sedan in VA is:

$126 per month*