2006 Lexus RX 400h Consumer Review: I am stumped

2006 Lexus RX 400h - Consumer Review

I am stumped
By sam1941 on

2006 Lexus RX 400h 4dr SUV AWD (3.3L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love my Lexus RX 400h and I have already driven it 98,000 miles. But the number of service problems that have been coming up recently are very frustrating. The criuse control died, the battery died, the radiator was leaking and had to be replaced, (not a single drop of coolant on the garage door) and just yesterday the timing belt, the pullies and the water pump had to be replaced too per Lexus request. More than $2500 in less than a year. Is my beloved SUV falling apart or is this a conspiracy !!! I bought my SUV brand new in May 2005 and I feel that I am suffering through the deficiency of it being the first year model in this series.

Comfortable and environmentally friendly

Lexus should take care of the faulty design of their vehicles. there is not a single reason for a quality care to have defective ruise control, radiator and timing belt. It is a shame. I had a Chevy Nova that I kept for 12 years till my teenage daughter wrecked and had no problem with these essential parts.
By flyin2orion
on 11/26/15 21:36 PM (PST)

Actually, you aren't citing any problems other than routine maintenance, perhaps with the exception of the radiator. Regular car batteries die after 2-5 years, 5 being an extremely long time. I'm talking about the $75 battery in the front of the car that starts the car and operates the electrical components when the car is off that you can remove in five minutes with a wrench (not talking about the hybrid battery) Radiators sometimes last over 100K, and rarely last over 120-150K, so one blowing out at just under 100K is not a shock. The timing belt maintenance is EXPECTED maintenance on EVERY car that has a timing belt, and that interval is usually around 100K, some slightly under and some slightly over (such as Honda/Acura at about 105K) So I'm not seeing any real major mechanical problems you've had with this car.