1998 Lexus LS 400 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.0L V8 5-speed Automatic - (39 reviews )
1998 Lexus LS400
By ChrstFltch on 05/27/08 17:50 PM (PDT)

1998 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is an excellent car. I purchased it used in 2003, and this was an excellent decision on my part. I will be purchasing a CLK 500 Mercedes next month (June 2008), I wanted something a little smaller. However, I refuse to get rid of this car, they could never give me enough to trade in my vehicle. The car still looks good inside and out (10 years old). I get so many stares. I guess I will need a bigger garage. This car rides smooth, and is extremely reliable. Since it is 10 years old, of course it requires routine maintenance,not too expensive. This is a fine machine, exceeds expectations!

Best of the Best
By greg hadden on 12/14/07 22:47 PM (PST)

1998 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Lexus makes the BEST cars period. The LS shows it all off and gets you there in style, comfort, with a bit of performance. You'll not have to worry about these cars as they are virtually indestructable with bulletproof engines and transmissions. This is the fourth LS I've owned, moving from a '92 to '94 to '96 and now the '98 which is far superior to the others in the options and styling that it offers. The Xenon HIDs and Nakamichi sound really make a difference. Buy this car, you won't be sorry.

The best car in Lexus and all others
By Allen on 11/26/07 13:42 PM (PST)

1998 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought the 98 LS 400 from Toyota at 110K for $11K in 2007. Tried many cars including MB and other Lexus. I would say this is a car beyond belief, 10 fold better I mean. Even compare to brand new RX, it still is on different level. I plan to buy another soon. No matter how you compare, comfort, quality and reliability, it all scores top of all cars. This car's body integrity is so good, you simply feel solid and can drive confidently.

From a Mustang GT to a Family Car
By Ben Logan on 08/23/07 13:07 PM (PDT)

1998 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

The car is solid as a rock. It has never once coughed or buzzed or knocked. I feel very safe driving my family around in it. Switching from a Mustang GT stick, it took a while to get used to the delay in jumping off the line. If you want power immediately, or are doing an instant merge to freeway speeds, you better be power breaking it from the get go. It has plenty of power, even more than the GT, but that half second delay can get you if you aren't used to it. I am still finding cool features. It is luxury at its finest.

My second Lexus
By Barney on 02/06/07 21:44 PM (PST)

1998 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my first an ES 300 in 2000 for my wife to be, she loved it but I loved it more. I sold it to my brother in law after we were married and got my wife a Mercedes and almost a divorce. Needless to say I bought her a 1998 LS 400 from original owner that was impeccable and I found my true love. This is the best motor car for price, comfort, reliability in its class. This is as good as it gets! Classic styling, smooth riding and dependability. I love this car almost as much as my wife!!

Wife's car
By ronjenkinsdc on 01/01/07 17:04 PM (PST)

1998 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Great car. purchased used in 2003 with 120K and has been the best car I have owned.

Best Car Ever
By R Smalls on 03/22/06 09:39 AM (PST)

1998 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for 3 weeks and it is hard for me not to make excuses to drive somewhere. The comfort and quality is unmatched. I also enjoy the power of 290 HP which will sprint from a traffic light as fast as a sports car. All this and it is 8 years old!! I get so many stares and compliments that it makes me want to blush!This is definitely a car that I will keep for years to come. Oh yeah I was a little disappointed that I did not get the Nakamichi Stereo. No need to be the Lexus Premier system is also incredible. I compared the MB E430 and the GS 400 which I almost bought. But after driving the LS 400 it was the best of both worlds. Speed. Power. Luxury. Can you tell how much I like this car!!!!

The Best Car Ever
By Midprof on 03/16/06 07:31 AM (PST)

1998 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Let me begin by telling you that I've owned many different cars...American..Never again, German...great cars but high maintanence...Japanese Lexus...the BEST ride ever...maybe doesn't handle as well as a Beemer...but reliability, Quality and plushness....this car has it all....

A Dream Automobile
By Dr. J on 02/06/06 18:04 PM (PST)

1998 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

The LS 400 is unbelievably comfortable and quiet. Trips of 3 or more hours are a piece of cake. It handles well for a luxury sedan and gets surprisingly good gas mileage for a V8. As others have said, the workmanship is unparalleled. This is far and away the finest automobile I have owned. My wife has an Infiniti that I thought was top shelf until I bought the Lexus LS 400 - there is no comparison.

Absolute Best!
By Dennis Greene on 10/17/05 14:24 PM (PDT)

1998 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is absolutely the best car on the planet to own for the long term! I purchased mine certified for $25K two years ago and I simply love this car. I actually get about 30 MPG highway cruising about 5MPH over the limit. No mechanical problems...none. Took a hit in the rear on a snowy day on I-95 causing $8k of damage, but protected me and my family as advertised and the ABS and vehicle anti-skid worked as promised. Also, Lexus service has been excellent and not too overly expensive like my last Mercedes 560 SEL. My family and friends are surprised to learn that I paid less with a better warranty than they did for their new SUVs, and I get much better mileage to boot. Winner!