Used 1998 Lexus LS 400 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Lexus Ls-400 - Consumer Reviews

1998 Lexus LS 400 Sedan

Base 4.0L V8 5-speed Automatic - (40 reviews )

Best Used Car Purchase EVER!
By jt821

1998 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought the car three years ago w/ 80k. I now have a bit over 140. Absolutely no problems whatsoever. I did the 90k maintenance which was about $1000, but was very extensive. The car is comfortable, quick, and surprisingly economical. Every once in a while I get the itch to buy a new car, but think what could I replace this with that would come close. The answer is nothing. I have two other Lexus's that I bought used, a '92 SC300, and a '95 ES 300 and have been just as fortunate with those. My daughter now has the ES at college with 260k, and my SC is my weekend car with 180k.

Favorite Features

Reliable, economical, and comfortable

I miss my Lexus!
By drblptq

1998 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I once told my close friends if I ever sell this car to please take me out and shoot me! I did sell it, and to my dismay, few cars could come close to the refinement, ride quality and overall durability of this fine automobile. I bought it used with 32,000 miles on the clock, it was a one owner car. I kept it for 4 years as a second car ( I also have a company car), and traded it when I thought I needed a larger (silly me). It would avage 29 mpg, in mixed drive from a 290hp 4 litre V8, simply amazing! The sound deadening is superb. If you ever have the opportunity to own one, do it, but hold on to it, they last forever.

Favorite Features

Ride, comfort, quiet....one of the finest cars I have ever owned. It is amazing dependable, not one problem in 4 years of ownership. Highly recommend!

Suggested Improvements

None!

Unbelievable!
By Allen

1998 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

It is unbelievable that Lexus can put up so many contradictory characteristics into the same car: Luxury to the extreme yet economical with high reliability and best in class MPG. With "Pulse and Glide" technique, I get 37 MPG on freeway. Using cruise control, I get 30 MPG; Top performance yet quiet and smooth as silk. Acceleration start at 30+ is breath taking. I challenge any sports car on the road. Feel like "Speak softly and carry a big stick" I call it the world class economical luxury sports cruiser.

Favorite Features

Quiet, smooth, fast, luxury, every single detail. Perfect interior and classical exterior design. Very comfortable seats.

Suggested Improvements

bigger cup holder. That's it.

Rusting and peeling paint
By Lexus owner

1998 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

2 inch rust bubble at the driver's side roof meets the windshield. The paint is peeling at two places on top of the rear bumper. I have to check if these items are covered by warranty but I doubt it. I never expected these items to happen to a Lexus. I live in California. The air conditioner is also weak even though it has been recharged and checked. I had to cut the factory floor mat as it was too close to the accelerator even with the tabs. The floor mat would depress the accelerator. The engine gunned once and I saw the floor mat against the accelerator. I sent in a complaint but got nowhere. Check your mat. Bad gas pedal design as the mat cannot slide under the pedal.

Favorite Features

Ride is great.

Suggested Improvements

Lexus should replace the gas pedal.

dream car...
By james medlin

1998 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

i bought this car in 2003 with 70,ooo miles on it...I now have 224,000 and have had 0 problems!!I keep thinking i want to trade it in but then i always end up asking why..great ride,great realiability and unreal gas mileage from an 8 cylinder...I get 26 plus on long trips...you cant go wrong with this car..!!

Favorite Features

smooth ride..comfort...and gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

hmmm...i dont have heated seats but other than that ???